Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-05-2006   #1
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected
Default John McClain in the Chronic.

The General's Football Report--Click on the Link on the page

A preview of his Friday column (apologies if this has been posted before):

FWIW......

He says that the Texans have to take VY.

That the Texans thought Bush had to be picked but that the Rose Bowl changed everything, especially if VY, because of his Rose Bowl performance, declares.

He says VY is best served by coming out now.

Talked about the marketing aspects of it. About how the hometown thing makes it hard to pass on him.

Said that he thought they needed to retain Carr for one year, learn up VY on the bench and then trade Carr.

Blahditty blah.

I think I heard some backtracking noises too, but I might be mistaken.

IMO, there is no way that VY backing up Carr is going to be a workable deal. It is a sorry lameduck situation for Carr, sorry for VY, sorry for the fans, sorry for leadership, sorry for building a team with a new coach. It would just be an ugly mess.

VY is golden right now, and Carr (rightly or wrongly) is in the doghouse with fans--I just don't see it working.
Texans_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006   #2
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 348851 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

yeah, if we go with Young, I'd say we need to let go of Carr before signing his option. Too many holes to fill and needs to address for that much money to be tied up in one position.
Old 01-05-2006   #3
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 36043 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Intriguing scenario, but I doubt it happens. However, since we may be daydreaming anyway...

How many DBs are there in the league that could guard Young as a wide or slot receiver that first year? Wouldn't he be pretty darn good running the reverse from those positions?
Old 01-05-2006   #4
UGA
Rookie

Or you could just cut Carr, sign someone like Brad Johnson for a year while VY learns.

Then you dont have both contracts on the books and can go out and spend in other areas.

McClain is starting to rally the base!!!
UGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006   #5
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 85602 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGA
Or you could just cut Carr, sign someone like Brad Johnson for a year while VY learns.
I see some have short memories. They tried to get Brad Johnson and a whole slew of other quarterbacks to come in here the first year while Carr 'learned'.
And they all said forget it.

Be satisfied with Tony Banks because that's all you're going to get.
Marcus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006   #6
real

Tony is cool with me...
Old 01-05-2006   #7
phantom17
#1 Fan in RGV!

Rep Power: 1292 phantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respected

And Tony help us to get the 1st pick overall! Now that's MVP materaial!
Old 01-05-2006   #8
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 85602 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Funny thing though, those UT players have this knack of staying in school, despite what may be in their best interests.

Just ask Roy Williams and Cedric Benson.
Marcus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006   #9
Spider_20
Rookie

Wow i'm sick of this VY had did have a great game but it was against a poor defensive they didn't have a quarterback spy on him at all. Reggie bush should be the texans first pick he is a very special player who rarley comes around. VY could very easily be a bust he doesn't look like he throws very well all he threw in the rose bowl were short passes most to a cutting back TE he wasn't able to throw downfield at all against a bad pass defense. all he could do is run. He should be turned into a running back.
LETS GO WITH THE SURE THING and DRAFT REGGIE BUSH!!!!
Spider_20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006   #10
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 100129 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick
IMO, there is no way that VY backing up Carr is going to be a workable deal. It is a sorry lameduck situation for Carr, sorry for VY, sorry for the fans, sorry for leadership, sorry for building a team with a new coach. It would just be an ugly mess.

VY is golden right now, and Carr (rightly or wrongly) is in the doghouse with fans--I just don't see it working.
That is exactly why I brought up the idea of signing Steve McNair for a couple of seasons. McNair is at the end of his career however can hold down the fort for a couple of seasons. It's already known that he won't be back in Tennessee next season. Having McNair here might also win over those remaining fans that have yet to switch loyalties from the Titans to the Texans. Plus McNair has already been working with Vince Young and the two are friends. McNair would gladly accept the role and VY would have his mentor.

I would then trade Carr to someone to help us start building in other areas. This would be the best situation for both us and Carr. I think Carr would do well with another team.

P.S. For you people that keep saying "Vince had one good game .... blah blah", it's obvious you have been not been watching much UT football. VY has been having these types of games consistantly for almost 2 seasons now. One was last year's Rose Bowl, was that "one good game" also? The deal about VY is when he has the ball you just know he isn't going to lose. Once Texas stopped USC on that 4th and 2 I knew Texas was going to win because the game was then in VY's hands.

Last edited by Hookem Horns; 01-05-2006 at 07:57 PM.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006   #11
Erratic Assassin
All Pro

Rep Power: 13 Erratic Assassin was voted MVPErratic Assassin was voted MVPErratic Assassin was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick

He says that the Texans have to take VY.

Putting VY behind the NFL's all-time worst offensive line is NOT in VY's best interest. It is a surefire way to ruin his career the way that it has ruined David Carr's career to date.

If he doesn't suffer a career-ending injury or end up with dozens of concussions, he will at the very least develop all the bad habits that David Carr developed. We've already ruined one QB's career, lets not ruin another.
Erratic Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006   #12
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 73110 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I wouldn't be upset about releasing Carr and taking Young, but McClain is an *****. What happened to all his, "You HAVE to get Bush! He is God!" crap?
HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006   #13
Nighthawk
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus
I see some have short memories. They tried to get Brad Johnson and a whole slew of other quarterbacks to come in here the first year while Carr 'learned'.
And they all said forget it.

Be satisfied with Tony Banks because that's all you're going to get.
Yeah, and they woudn't let Banks NEAR the field, either. Great strategy. Let Carr take the hits and stink it up for 4 years. What a coach, that Capers. What a GM, Casserly. What a club.

I'm afraid when McNair decided to keep Casserly he sank the ship for a good long time. Timidity will get you.
Nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006   #14
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 100129 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erratic Assassin
Putting VY behind the NFL's all-time worst offensive line is NOT in VY's best interest. It is a surefire way to ruin his career the way that it has ruined David Carr's career to date.

If he doesn't suffer a career-ending injury or end up with dozens of concussions, he will at the very least develop all the bad habits that David Carr developed. We've already ruined one QB's career, lets not ruin another.
That's another good reason to trade Carr. Use Carr to bring in some help in the trenches.
Old 01-05-2006   #15
Nighthawk
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns
That is exactly why I brought up the idea of signing Steve McNair for a couple of seasons.
Two questions:

(a) are you sure McNair is not going to be a Titan next year?
(b) would he be willing to come as mentor and not necessarily starter?
Nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006   #16
real

Why was banks able to have time to throw deep, but Carr wasn't ? I wish I could get a ratio of times banks and carr have been sacked compared to the number of plays...
Old 01-05-2006   #17
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk
Two questions:

(a) are you sure McNair is not going to be a Titan next year?
(b) would he be willing to come as mentor and not necessarily starter?
a.) I am pretty sure that McNair will not be a Titan next season. I think this is due to a cap issue.

b.) Yes, McNair has already been working with VY during the offseason. Some feel that is why Young has improved so much in the passing game. McNair probably only has about 2 seasons left in him and he would probably be the starter for both of those seasons. Young would get some time to develope unlike Carr.

Someone brought up on the TexansTalk.com board that there is a rumor going around Miami that the Dolphins would offer the Texans Ricky Williams and a condition pick for David Carr. It is probably BS however I do think the Texans could trade Carr and get something in return to help build in other areas. If the Texans keep Carr and go with Bush, they won't get extra value from a trade.
Old 01-05-2006   #18
GoBlue
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider_20
Wow i'm sick of this VY had did have a great game but it was against a poor defensive they didn't have a quarterback spy on him at all. Reggie bush should be the texans first pick he is a very special player who rarley comes around. VY could very easily be a bust he doesn't look like he throws very well all he threw in the rose bowl were short passes most to a cutting back TE he wasn't able to throw downfield at all against a bad pass defense. all he could do is run. He should be turned into a running back.
LETS GO WITH THE SURE THING and DRAFT REGGIE BUSH!!!!
ABSOLUTELY I couldn't agree more. the officials blew at least 2 calls that gave Texas the points to win. If the Longhorns lost, we wouldn't be having this ridiculous debate.
GoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006   #19
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlue
ABSOLUTELY I couldn't agree more. the officials blew at least 2 calls that gave Texas the points to win. If the Longhorns lost, we wouldn't be having this ridiculous debate.
But they did win and it does effect the draft so Texans, Houston, Longhorn and Bush fans will debate. You do not have to like it, but it is part of the forbidden dance we call The Speculation.
Old 01-05-2006   #20
AUSTexan
Rookie

This hype on VY is really annoying... He -might- be a very good NFL player, but I do not believe that ONE GAME should vault the guy from projecting 15 or so in the draft to #1... That's rediculous. Prior to the Rose Bowl I did not see a single major mock draft with Vince in the top 5. If "experts" had done their research (and I expect that they did), then that should not happen. It is similar to me as players jumping 20 spots after running .05 seconds faster in 40 at the combine. I hate that... and I think it's short-sighted. You look at the body of work - period.

Plus, while VY's passing was adequate against a very mediocre USC secondary, his running is what made all of the critical plays. You can't do that regularly in the NFL - they will KILL YOU. No way he pushes into the end zone on that 2-pt conversation against an NFL DL, LB, and secondary... If USC has 1 more minute on the clock, they win and VY is still sitting between 10 and 20 in the draft. Crazy. I am not in favor of drafting VY!

"The General" McClain... What a wishy-washy SOB. Just 2 days ago he was writing that we "HAD" to take Reggie Bush!... that he graded out as the best prospect in 10 years...

I'm about to jump into the "hype these guys then trade the pick" bandwagon.
AUSTexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read