Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-05-2006   #1
Texan in Japan
All Pro

Rep Power: 5042 Texan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default What is Carr worth in a trade?

After the Rose Bowl, my son and I talked about who we could trade Carr to if VY did come out and we took him #1.

I'm interested in what ya'll think...I've got to head to work, but will post our thoughts later.

Any ideas?
Texan in Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006   #2
Sportsfan
All Pro

They'd probably get some good players for him. According to some of J. McClains sources there are reportedly a bunch of teams that have shown interest in Carr, but its not even worth talking about now since Casserly already stated that Carr is staying.
Sportsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006   #3
zeplin
Veteran

CARR IS STAYING SO FORGET VY. It just not going to happen!!
Old 01-05-2006   #4
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

your gonna pay the 8 million extension so you can trade him? doesnt sound very smart. If you DONT pay the extension he is a free agent and you cant trade him.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006   #5
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 85708 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

As far as I remember, Casserly said they were going to pick up the option on Carr's contract and also that Lienart wouldn't be with the Texans next year.
This doesn't preclude signing Carr and then trading him...
Also, this was all before VY lit the world on fire, and at the time it seemed a lot more likely that VY wasn't coming out.
If he comes out, I will allow the Texans a mulligan with their draft strategy...
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006   #6
UGA
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid
your gonna pay the 8 million extension so you can trade him? doesnt sound very smart. If you DONT pay the extension he is a free agent and you cant trade him.
if im not mistaken a team that picked him up in the trade would be on the hook for the contract.

we could get a 1st rounder for Carr... he is thought of pretty well by many teams since he's young, tough and has a live arm.

he could be traded to the Jets. they arent getting Bush, Leinert or Young with their pick and they need a young qb for the future since Chad "whiffle ball" Pennington has a glass shoulder.
UGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006   #7
Chaft
Rookie

I doubt Carr would fetch a 1st rounder in a trade due to the base salary in his contract per year. It's $5 million. That's a lot of money considering this $5 million figure was negotiated before Carr was signed as a rookie. The salary would be appropriate for a Pro Bowler at QB. 2nd round pick max.

Also, the Texans would get decimated next year with the cap hit from the acceleration of the option bonus. No 2nd round pick is worth that much.
Chaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-05-2006   #8
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 79824 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsfan
Casserly already stated that Carr is staying.
The bigger problem is Casserly is staying. That loser shouldn't even be here making any decisions.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006   #9
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 144920 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Carr to the Raiders for Robert Gallery . I hope this does'nt get me another - mark .
Old 01-05-2006   #10
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan in Japan
After the Rose Bowl, my son and I talked about who we could trade Carr to if VY did come out and we took him #1.

I'm interested in what ya'll think...I've got to head to work, but will post our thoughts later.

Any ideas?
If we want Vince Young and I am sayign IF we do here is what we oughta do:

We sign Carr to a two year deal and have Vince SIT for the season. During that time we showcase Carr and show off his prowess. At the end of the season we then dangle Carr to teams that need a QB. We can likely pick up a second rounder for Carr if he can have a good season. Perhaps some team would be desperate enough to give up a first. I would let Vince sit and learn the system and then let him go at it in 07. But then again, my name is not Charlie Casserly or Mr. McNair so...

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006   #11
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 712 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ledzeppelin229

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerek
It won't happen. The front office views Carr as a viable option, and they view his relative lack of consistent success as being due to his coaching. They will give him at least one, probably two more years, before shopping him around.

Even if it did, and I am not sure how the money works (MorKnolle? Care to enlighten?), but I believe some of that 8 mil would be guaranteed bonus money. As it is, right now, he is receiving guaranteed bonus money that we would have to eat in a trade.

There are several teams that would kill to put this guy on their roster, but because of his relative lack of statistical success, I doubt if any one would give up a whole lot for him, at this point in his career. His potential is there, but inevitably, he will be viewed as damaged goods that come at the risk of imminent breakdown, unless he turns it around here first.
The problem with giving him another chance is that if he doesn't succeed after new coaching and a better line, the pool of current excuses will have dried up and his trade value will have diminished. Casserly and them, if they keep Carr, BETTER BE CONVINCED those are the real problems. If Casserly gives him another chance to succeed to save a little more face ala Tony Hollings, and screws this franchise over even more...well, I would not want to be Charley Casserly.
ledzeppelin229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006   #12
CaptainPatriot
Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to CaptainPatriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsfan
They'd probably get some good players for him. According to some of J. McClains sources there are reportedly a bunch of teams that have shown interest in Carr, but its not even worth talking about now since Casserly already stated that Carr is staying.
Here in lies are problem (cASSerly)! How is it he still here? With his 3rd round draft picks formula!:brickwall
Old 01-05-2006   #13
bubbajaxonbrown
Rookie

This is a dumb dream but...

Trade Carr to NO for their pick since noone wants to go there. They're as desparate for a QB as we are to get rid of damaged goods. We now have the top 2 picks in the draft. Pick Bush #1, Young #2 and start over with a new coach. It would be like getting another shot at expansion.

I know this will not happen b/c Casserly wouldn't want to admit any of his #1 picks were wrong. Unfortunately we're riding Carr all the way until it's either too late or he is an MVP. But it sure is fun to imagin a Young/Bush backfield to move forward with (especially with this OL).
bubbajaxonbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006   #14
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 144920 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Its always better to trade a player a year early rather than a year late . If the Texans are going to keep Carr they better do it quick( bonus ) .
Old 01-05-2006   #15
bigcarlos
Veteran

a 3rd round sounds fair
bigcarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006   #16
Doom Capers
Veteran

I could see Carr going to the Raiders, Dolphins, or even Redskins and doing pretty well.
Doom Capers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006   #17
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

But, how could we not take young? This guy is a once in a century QB. Look what he did. He can outrun speeding locomotives and leap over tall buildings in a single bound. He can do everything Bush could do before the Rose Bowl when he lost his powers.
HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006   #18
Texan in Japan
All Pro

Rep Power: 5042 Texan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by awtysst
If we want Vince Young and I am sayign IF we do here is what we oughta do:

We sign Carr to a two year deal and have Vince SIT for the season. During that time we showcase Carr and show off his prowess. At the end of the season we then dangle Carr to teams that need a QB. We can likely pick up a second rounder for Carr if he can have a good season. Perhaps some team would be desperate enough to give up a first. I would let Vince sit and learn the system and then let him go at it in 07. But then again, my name is not Charlie Casserly or Mr. McNair so...
That is certainly one possibility if we used the CIN approach and if he has success then his value in a trade would be higher, if we still decided to trade him.
Old 01-06-2006   #19
Texan in Japan
All Pro

I've always been pro-Carr, while my son has never liked him much. IMHO his value is higher now because of the following...

- He's proven to be almost indestructable; no QB has taken the beatings David has and he keeps coming back...seems Jets, Rams, etc. could really appreciate that attribute

- He's got great physical tools

- He's a solid citizen

- He's survived despite, questionable coaching, line play and supporting cast

- His stats aren't really that bad

Put all of that together and market him to places like New York (Jets), Miami, Oakland, Arizona, St. Louis, Green Bay, Tampa Bay and New Orleans. See who comes up w/best package. Again, IMHO I think he's worth gambling a mid-to-late 1st pick. I mean if Drew Henson was worth a 3rd, c'mon. If we could get a high 2nd from one of those teams with a TBD pick in 07 (say 1-4) then I'd be happy to add VY and send David to a fresh start.

I really don't want to dump Carr, but VY just seems to have the total pkg. The way he hangs in against the rush and ALWAYS makes the big play. He's just a pure WINNER.

Now I understand that we need much more to make us competitive and believe that DC's value could help us fill some more holes.

For example, we could send Carr, Morency to ARZ for their 1st and change. Gives them possibly two starters and allows them to address other needs. There are many possibilities. Many times we don't appreciate what we've got...there are far worse QBs to have than DC, but VY just seems special.
Old 01-06-2006   #20
Texan in Japan
All Pro

Found this piece and thought it was well laid out. Guy makes very good marketing points for VY, but also sets an intriguing trade scenario for Carr.

http://www.nlscouting.com/Spotlights/youngCarr.htm

CARR HEADING WEST IF YOUNG DECLARES?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read