Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 01-05-2006   #1
Jack Bauer
All Pro

Default Rule Question Regarding Goal Line

Does anyone have a link to the NFL rule regarding the football crossing the plane of the goal line? I had a discussion with a friend last night while watching the game when Bush jumped toward the end zone. My friend says the BALL must cross the goal line in-bounds and I say only part of the body has to stay in-bounds. Once a part of the body has crossed the goal line in bounds, the ball can cross the plane of the goal line even out of bounds. I have a link from a web-site that explains a call I saw with Mike Vick, but I prefer to have an actual link to the rule. This is what I have found:

Mike Vicks Touchdown

The text about the rule is about 3/4 of the way down the page.
Jack Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006   #2
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 398918 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephyr
Once a part of the body has crossed the goal line in bounds, the ball can cross the plane of the goal line even out of bounds.
I think this is it. I remember John Madden talking about an imaginary plane that would circle the globe from one end of the goal line to the other.

If the player's body is going over the line, in bounds, but the ball is out - it's still a TD. Kind of a weird thing to visualize, and it still seems a little 'wrong', but I think you've got it right from what I understand.
Old 01-05-2006   #3
Jack Bauer
All Pro

Question

Thanks. Unfortunately, to settle our dispute, he is going to insist on a link. The only link I can find to the NFL rules is on the NFL site. I guess they think fans are too dumb to actually read the rule book, because they only present a dumbed-down version. Unless I missed it somewhere.

Can anyone help with a link?
Old 01-05-2006   #4
gcolby
Veteran

Jerry Markbreit, former NFL ref, has a column in one of the Chicago papers. He breaks the rule down, and it should be 'gospel' enough for your friend:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune....home-headlines

See the last question.

Glen
gcolby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006   #5
Jack Bauer
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcolby
Jerry Markbreit, former NFL ref, has a column in one of the Chicago papers. He breaks the rule down, and it should be 'gospel' enough for your friend:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune....home-headlines

See the last question.

Glen
That is great! Thanks Glen!
Old 01-05-2006   #6
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

The definition of touchdown from the NFL rule book is thus: (Google NFL rules)

When any part of the ball, legally in possession of a player inbounds, breaks the plane of the opponent’s goal line, provided it is not a touchback.

Pylon rules (body vs. ball) are different in the corner ....

Edit, yeah just read the Markbreit explanation. The last part has always seemed a bit odd to me because if you're diving into the goal line while in the middle of the field, the ball had to cross the plane. If you're diving for the pylon, any part of your body hitting the pylon is acceptable even if the ball is out of bounds.

Last edited by aj.; 01-05-2006 at 01:52 PM.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006   #7
Jack Bauer
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
The definition of touchdown from the NFL rule book is thus: (Google NFL rules)

When any part of the ball, legally in possession of a player inbounds, breaks the plane of the opponent’s goal line, provided it is not a touchback.

Pylon rules (body vs. ball) are different in the corner ....

Edit, yeah just read the Markbreit explanation. The last part has always seemed a bit odd to me because if you're diving into the goal line while in the middle of the field, the ball had to cross the plane. If you're diving for the pylon, any part of your body hitting the pylon is acceptable even if the ball is out of bounds.
I saw that, but doesn't provide enough info for what I needed. Thanks anyway.
Sponsored links
Old 01-05-2006   #8
chuckm
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 chuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVP

since we're talking rules here ... I have a question ..... in college football if your knee is down while in possession of the ball then the play is dead .... no contact necessary ... ok here's the question ... why isn't the play dead on extra points or field goall attempts when the holder takes the snap with his knee down? probably a special case rule or something ....
Old 01-06-2006   #9
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 107589 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckm
why isn't the play dead on extra points or field goall attempts when the holder takes the snap with his knee down? probably a special case rule or something ....

Dood, good call. Maybe you should bring this to someone's attention...!

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Of course it's a special case...

Pardon the sarcasm...?
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read