Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-05-2006   #1
bdiddy
Veteran

Default Who Needs a Better O-Line When You have VY?

Am I a Homer?

Vince Young could help solve our offensive line woes in a hurry. Defenses will have to implore Michael Vick treatment which will immediately slow down the pass rush. Additionally, once the DEs get up field on VY there is no hope of holding him to less than 5 yards on a run. If we trade Carr for a couple of picks we could address multiple needs including the offensive line in the middle rounds.

Just a thought, a bit crazy and possibly premature, but something to consider.
bdiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006   #2
SESupergenius

If I was the owner of the Texans I had a chance to trade Carr to pick up a boatload of picks AND get Young (if my scouts thing he can be a successful QB in the NFL and not just a scrambler), then I'd have to seriously consider this from a business perspective. After watching the last half of the season and all the empty seats I would have to look at all angles to try and bring them back. Firing the coaching staff probably cures that, but you have a huge Texas Longhorn fanbase that overlaps the Texans fanbase, that alone would probably bring in some more PSLs. But looking at the long term would I be jumping the gun on VY for a quick cure in the fans eyes and have a QB problem down the road.

I am not totally convined that VY is an NFL QB, I never thought much of any of the so called "athletic" QB's. He to my knowledge the fist of this prototype to win something this big on a national scale. But until one of these types of QB's wins in the NFL I'd have to play it a little conservative.
Old 01-05-2006   #3
bdiddy
Veteran

SEsupergenius here is link regarding Kubiak as a playcaller.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drm...364718,00.html

see middle of the page.

Never mind, wrong link - see this instead.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_3372579
Old 01-05-2006   #4
SESupergenius

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdiddy
SEsupergenius here is link regarding Kubiak as a playcaller.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drm...364718,00.html

see middle of the page.

Never mind, wrong link - see this instead.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_3372579
Thank you, that is the kind of stuff we need around here, actual factual presentation. Good Job. I was convinced 2 years ago that Carr needs a west coast offense, If Kubiak or Saunders is hired then than ensure it.
Old 01-05-2006   #5
profan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SESupergenius

I am not totally convined that VY is an NFL QB, I never thought much of any of the so called "athletic" QB's. He to my knowledge the fist of this prototype to win something this big on a national scale. But until one of these types of QB's wins in the NFL I'd have to play it a little conservative.
Ronnie Lot, Marcus Allen, Anthony Munoz, along with others think VY is ready for the NFL after seeing him play. When NFL players of this caliber make this statement about an opposing qb, convinces me that he will be a great NFL qb. The guy has been a winner at every level he has played and handles pressure better than anyone i have seen.
profan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006   #6
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by profan
Ronnie Lot, Marcus Allen, Anthony Munoz, along with others think VY is ready for the NFL after seeing him play. When NFL players of this caliber make this statement about an opposing qb, convinces me that he will be a great NFL qb. The guy has been a winner at every level he has played and handles pressure better than anyone i have seen.
Honestly, their opinion matters little to me. They are great players, but that does not necessarily mean they are great at judging talent. I would be curious to know if the Texans scouts think that VY is ready to go pro since they have experience in this area.
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006   #7
bdiddy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by oso
Honestly, their opinion matters little to me. They are great players, but that does not necessarily mean they are great at judging talent. I would be curious to know if the Texans scouts think that VY is ready to go pro since they have experience in this area.
I agree with your assessment regarding former players, however, lets not but too much stock in the Texans scouts need we forget some of their past bonehead moves.
Sponsored links
Old 01-05-2006   #8
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11 Coach C. is a Pro BowlerCoach C. is a Pro Bowler

If I could get Anthony Munoz and Ronnie Lott to come coach here at the Texans it would be a great and wonderful thing. I do agree that it is their opinion, but they do know talent. Many scouts already felt like Young was ready for the pros. He is talented bottomline, and I hate to say that about any UT player.
Old 01-05-2006   #9
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 140 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Am I a Homer?

Vince Young could help solve our offensive line woes in a hurry. Defenses will have to implore Michael Vick treatment which will immediately slow down the pass rush. Additionally, once the DEs get up field on VY there is no hope of holding him to less than 5 yards on a run. If we trade Carr for a couple of picks we could address multiple needs including the offensive line in the middle rounds.

Just a thought, a bit crazy and possibly premature, but something to consider.
VY already has a great oline. We have never seen him play behind a bad one so who knows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006   #10
bdiddy
Veteran

Default I Am Still Reeling

I am not sure if I am completely sold, but Vince Young did this against USC. This is not a NFL like defense but it is the closest thing we can see in the college game. Will Vince be able to run like he did last night? No, but he will be able to run with success. I am hearing John Granado on 610 stating that VY will not run the zone-option read. Why the hell not? Defenses are faster in the NFL, imparticular DEs (key to defending this play), but Vince runs this play better than anyone I have EVER seen.

If I can get a 2nd and 4/5th rounder or a 3rd and 4th rounder for Carr I have to think about trading him. This would enable the Texans to get VY and an additional starter in the draft.

My biggest concern is that Kubiak would be opposed to coming to the Texans because his offense requires a more traditional QB.
Old 01-05-2006   #11
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

I would think Kubiak would not mind VY, but you are correct he would rather have a talent like Carr to build around. Carr can run and throw with anybody(QB) in the league and I suspect VY will be able to run with anybody, but he is not yet prepared to throw against NFL defenses. I would suspect if VY came out he would have similar stats to Carr with less passing stats and more rushing stats. It has already been reported that Carr will be resigned so an 5.5-8M cap hit will likely see VY heading somewhere else if he comes out.
Old 01-05-2006   #12
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

I think the closest thing to a NFL defense in college was LSU's defense two years ago.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006   #13
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 114256 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not sure I'd put to much stock in the Texans scouts either . I'm not sure about Vince in some areas but what I do know is the bigger the stage the better he gets .

John Elway used to be to me what Carr is to some of these guys . I thought no matter what Elway was coming through at the end , that he would find away . He is one of the few who would sneak it into the endzone on a fourth and five .

The more hype around Vince and Leinart the better ... it makes the #1 pick more valable . I have no doubt Bush will have a great workout and the scouts will be drooling again .
Old 01-05-2006   #14
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan
I think the closest thing to a NFL defense in college was LSU's defense two years ago.
Damn Tulexan I think this is the first time I have agreed with you. That is completely accuarate, and they like Texas still had several guys that will never see the NFL. If you go back some years to Miami's run they had the closest thing to an NFL team (offense and #of pros)
Old 01-05-2006   #15
TXurias
Rookie

Quote:
I am not sure if I am completely sold, but Vince Young did this against USC. This is not a NFL like defense but it is the closest thing we can see in the college game. Will Vince be able to run like he did last night? No, but he will be able to run with success. I am hearing John Granado on 610 stating that VY will not run the zone-option read. Why the hell not? Defenses are faster in the NFL, imparticular DEs (key to defending this play), but Vince runs this play better than anyone I have EVER seen.

If I can get a 2nd and 4/5th rounder or a 3rd and 4th rounder for Carr I have to think about trading him. This would enable the Texans to get VY and an additional starter in the draft.

My biggest concern is that Kubiak would be opposed to coming to the Texans because his offense requires a more traditional QB.
VY may be a great QB in college but I believe it will take him a few years to master the NFL. Not sure if you noticed but he ran almost every play out of the shotgun formation. Guess what i'm saying is that he's not a drop back QB...he has to be on the move to make plays and in the NFL that will catch up to u. Why is everyone all over VY's nuttz now......be realistic it's not going to happen. It will be Bush or bust. Not really i do understand the idea of trading for more picks but I believe bush will be a gamebreaker.
TXurias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006   #16
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109004 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXurias
VY may be a great QB in college but I believe it will take him a few years to master the NFL. Not sure if you noticed but he ran almost every play out of the shotgun formation. Guess what i'm saying is that he's not a drop back QB...he has to be on the move to make plays and in the NFL that will catch up to u.
So was Steve McNair at Alcorn State....he turned out pretty darn good.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006   #17
TXurias
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
So was Steve McNair at Alcorn State....he turned out pretty darn good.
come on....make a better post than that. At lease elaborate.....good point though but take a look at McNair's career. In and out of the lineup due to injury....inconsistent....had some big games but no championships. Come on....we're talking about passing up on drafting Bush who is like the next marshall faulk or whoever u want to compare him to. I'm going to call him the "Difference" cause he will make the difference in us winning or losing next year.
TXurias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006   #18
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109004 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

My post was fine. Elaborate on what? The fact that Alcorn state had nothing close to an NFL passing offense or elaborate on the fact that McNair and his lack of polish did little to hamper his becoming a big time NFL qb? Marshall Faulk ran between the tackles...I haven't seen Bush do this.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006   #19
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 114256 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Whats wrong with Steve Mcnair ? I think on a scale of 1-10 Steves 7.5 . He's a leader who is the toughest QB around . His team plays just like him , their just down right now .
Old 01-05-2006   #20
bdiddy
Veteran

Default Don't be a McNair Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXurias
come on....make a better post than that. At lease elaborate.....good point though but take a look at McNair's career. In and out of the lineup due to injury....inconsistent....had some big games but no championships. Come on....we're talking about passing up on drafting Bush who is like the next marshall faulk or whoever u want to compare him to. I'm going to call him the "Difference" cause he will make the difference in us winning or losing next year.
McNair is a very good QB, remember he was within 1 yard of winning a Super Bowl. If VY or David Carr come close to McNair's production and leadership I will be very satisified.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read