Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-05-2006   #1
Nighthawk
All Pro

Thumbs up Vince Young, Face of the Franchise

At halftime I started a thread extolling the virtues of Vince Young. The moderators chose to move it to the DRAFT board.

What it said was something like this:

Watching the game tonight (Rose Bowl) there's one player on the field that is miles ahead of all the others, looks like a man playing in a game full of kids. It's hard to believe he's THAT much better than all the other players on the field. It's crazy.

What's the knock on him, or does he just happen to be having a spectacular night? Is he usually much less impressive? The way he throws the ball, with great confidence and accuracy, as if it weighed what a tennis ball weighs, hits guys all over the field, finds the open receiver instantly when he scans the field (would that Carr could even FIND receivers), plus his mobility, quick in the pocket, running, authority, throws himself on the guy's fumble, for heaven's sake--why is this guy not 1st on the draft list?

I say we draft Vince Young, or trade down as much as we can and still draft Vince Young. He's going to ba an NFL star of the 1st magnitude.

That was at halftime.

Now, the game over and Young having won it more or less by sheer will and talent, a great supporting cast, a coach with the good sense to let Young play his game, I am fully persuaded we ought to make Vince Young the first pick in the draft this year.

Lots of problems, of course, chief among which is what to do with Carr. But if ever there were a sure bet, Young looks an awful lot like it.

Let's go for. Let's do the smart thing, the right thing, the best thing, and get this guy who will be a star in the NFL for years to come. Bush might be (though his performance tonight suggests he's all too easy to stop with good, fast defense), Leinart might--he looked fabulous in the second half. Carr certainly doesn't hold a candle (after 4 years in the NFL!) to either Leinart or Young, and most likely will never be a top QB in the league.

All of this is moot, of course, if Young decides to stay in school.

Last edited by Nighthawk; 01-05-2006 at 02:04 AM.
Nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006   #2
houstonhurricane
All Pro

Rep Power: 938 houstonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respected

Uh, no. Next...
Old 01-05-2006   #3
NWTexan Fan
Rookie

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha!!!!!!!
NWTexan Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006   #4
CaptainPatriot
Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to CaptainPatriot
Thumbs up David Carr pack your Bags!

After watching Vince. He is the real deal! I saw him play his last H.S. game in the Dome against Austin Westlake. I said he was great for H.S. But can he do it in the College level. He answered all my Questions tonight. He made it look so easy! It`s a done deal. Texans will Guarantee Vince they will take him in the 1st round and he can come back to Houston to play at home. I bet his Mom is getting his bedroom at home ready . Get use to Young to Johnson combination;-) WELL DONE VINCE!!!!!
Old 01-05-2006   #5
How 'Bout Them Texans???
Rookie

Default Here's an idea for saving this team...

Ive always known that vince young is a better player that any of those overrated ****s at USC are, but i never heard that he wanted to go to the draft. If he decides to go pro this year, i say, **** reggie bush, i knew texas would show the media how theyre *****s and that they were hyping a team that was hopeless.

Did bush do any execution during the rose bowl?, he didnt live up to the hype.

82 rushing yards and 1 TD. total, thats it. I saw him hit behind the line at least 5 different times by a tired, cramped, and injury-infested texas defense. Lendell White made more plays for USC than Reggie Bush did, where's his heisman? One occasional touchdown and barely any yards compared to your hype, im sorry, but that may win NFL games against the 5 worst teams in the league, but if you expect to get by Indy, NE, Seattle, or the defenses of chicago and washington, one touchdown a game by your "best" offensive player isnt going to help.

I say, if vince young is available in the draft, to hell with any other options, draft young, get carr the hell out of QB, he can move on or be 2nd string, but he's had enough time to "improve", and he's actually regressed. Move to the end of the bench Carr, Young will start if he becomes available.

I dont know about you, but that kind of sounds like common sense to me.
How 'Bout Them Texans??? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006   #6
Honch Delgado
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk
At halftime I started a thread extolling the virtues of Vince Young. The moderators chose (for reasons unknown) to move it, or delete it.

Watching the game tonight (Rose Bowl) there's one player on the field that is miles ahead of all the others, looks like a man playing in a game full of kids. It's hard to believe he's THAT much better than all the other players on the field. It's crazy.

What's the knock on him, or does he just happen to be having a spectacular night? Is he usually much less impressive? The way he throws the ball, with great confidence and accuracy, as if it weighed what a tennis ball weighs, hits guys all over the field, finds the open receiver instantly when he scans the field (would that Carr could even FIND receivers), plus his mobility, quick in the pocket, running, authority, throws himself on the guy's fumble, for heaven's sake--why is this guy not 1st on the draft list?

I say we draft Vince Young, or trade down as much as we can and still draft Vince Young. He's going to ba an NFL star of the 1st magnitude.

That was at halftime.

Now, the game over and Young having won it more or less by sheer will and talent, a great supporting cast, a coach with the good sense to let Young play his game, I am fully persuaded we ought to make Vince Young the first pick in the draft this year.

Lots of problems, of course, chief among which is what to do with Carr. But if ever there were a sure bet, Young looks an awful lot like it.

Let's go for. Let's do the smart thing, the right thing, the best thing, and get this guy who will be a star in the NFL for years to come. Bush might be (though his performance tonight suggests he's all too easy to stop with good, fast defense), Leinart might--he looked fabulous in the second half. Carr certainly doesn't hold a candle (after 4 years in the NFL!) to either Leinart or Young, and most likely will never be a top QB in the league.

I agree with you. Ignore the blind Carr loyalists.
Honch Delgado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006   #7
houstonhurricane
All Pro

Rep Power: 938 houstonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respected

Uh, no. Next...
Old 01-05-2006   #8
SESupergenius

I've heard the same thing through the years about Cunningham, Kordell, McNabb, Culpepper and Vick. Once injuries start mounting on these running QB's they become less spectacular and have to rely on what a QB is really there for, being a QB, not a draw playing runner. Young is good but did you see him lay a ball into the hands of a reciever on the run too often tonight? I may be wrong but that was my assessment.
Old 01-05-2006   #9
Jack Bauer
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SESupergenius
I've heard the same thing through the years about Cunningham, Kordell, McNabb, Culpepper and Vick. Once injuries start mounting on these running QB's they become less spectacular and have to rely on what a QB is really there for, being a QB, not a draw playing runner. Young is good but did you see him lay a ball into the hands of a reciever on the run too often tonight? I may be wrong but that was my assessment.
I saw Young place the ball perfectly on a few occasions while on the run.
Jack Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006   #10
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SESupergenius
Once injuries start mounting on these running QB's they become less spectacular and have to rely on what a QB is really there for, being a QB, not a draw playing runner.
The difference between Young and those that you have listed is that VY has never taken a big hit. He never takes that hit that would knock him out of a game. That's why I dont think injuries will be a big deal...

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006   #11
houstonhurricane
All Pro

McNair is not going to bring in a rookie quarterback this year. It isn't going to happen...Vince played a heck of a game and deserves all of the props that are heading his way. However, just as many of you state that Bush cannot run wild on NFL teams, the same argument may be made of Vince. Let's see how all of this pans out before running wild...if that is possible around here.
Old 01-05-2006   #12
NWTexan Fan
Rookie

For all you diehard Longhorn fans...does any of this "forget bush, draft Young" have to do with...well, who was playing on which team?

Hmm....
NWTexan Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006   #13
SESupergenius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
The difference between Young and those that you have listed is that VY has never taken a big hit. He never takes that hit that would knock him out of a game. That's why I dont think injuries will be a big deal...
I heard the exact same thing with Vick too. Runners always get hit in the NFL.
Old 01-05-2006   #14
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29759 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Hopefully you're kidding.

I'm sure you wanted Vince Young after his decent game against A&M. Or even after the Big 12 Championship game. Vince Young may be a good QB in the NFL, but we don't even know how good David Carr is! He's never been able to be the type of QB that he's used to being. He's not a 3 step drop and throw a 2 yard screen QB. He's the type of guy who takes 5 steps back and watches the play unfold. Until Carr gets an O-line to protect him, we don't know how good he can be. I stick with Carr.
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006   #15
bigcarlos
Veteran

I wish Bob had the balls to draft Vince
bigcarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006   #16
Nighthawk
All Pro

Me, too.
Nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006   #17
wenskek
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam
Hopefully you're kidding.

I'm sure you wanted Vince Young after his decent game against A&M. Or even after the Big 12 Championship game. Vince Young may be a good QB in the NFL, but we don't even know how good David Carr is! He's never been able to be the type of QB that he's used to being. He's not a 3 step drop and throw a 2 yard screen QB. He's the type of guy who takes 5 steps back and watches the play unfold. Until Carr gets an O-line to protect him, we don't know how good he can be. I stick with Carr.
stick with carr and you will never see this franchise win a playoff game
wenskek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006   #18
bigcarlos
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wenskek
stick with carr and you will never see this franchise win a playoff game
We wouldnt make the playoffs with him
bigcarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006   #19
raised_on_beans_n_rice
Rookie

Default Come home VINCE!!!

What more is there to say? Come home!!! This guy is a franchise player! Do not waste his talent and make him a receiver. He is a leader. Build a franchise around his talent. Please don't screw this up Uncle Charley!!! You already drafted the wrong Johnson last year (Travis instead of Derrick).

COME HOME VINCE!!!!!!!
raised_on_beans_n_rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006   #20
zeplin
Veteran

\\Quote Nighthawk
\At halftime I started a thread extolling the virtues of Vince Young. The moderators chose to move it to the DRAFT board.

That was at halftime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWTexan Fan
Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha!!!!!!!

Is this Bandwagon oh yea that is I meean Bandstand.What is wrong with these guys Stick to the problem OL OL OL OL OL OL !!!!

Oh he was just kiddig!!
Sorry my bad!!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read