Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-05-2006   #1
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected
Default This changes everything

At least for me it does.

Reggie Bush:

He choked. I know alot of people will say he had a solid game.. but a solid game just wont cut it. We are taking him #1 overall despite the fact that we dont really NEED him, because he is supposed to be an incredible prospect.. and here he is with his chance to show his stuff against the closest thing he is gonna see to an NFL defense before he is drafted.. and he looked "eh".

You can cite his numbers if you want.. and his yards per carry.. but its just not enough. Why doesnt he cut back? He just keeps running for that sideline.. trying to get around the corner and make the big run.. but as you saw, when he was up against a defense that actually had the speed to match him, he couldnt get around that corner. If he thinks the Texas defense is fast.. wait till he goes up against indianapolis. Or Atlanta. Or the Bucs.. or really ANY NFL team.

Speaking of speed.. is that what that was? He looked faster than some RBs but he didnt wow me with it. Once he got a straight shot and put on the afterburners..he looked pretty fast.. but that same speed didnt seem to translate into the rest of his running. He isnt gonna get to many straight shots in the NFL, he is going to have to do more than what he did to succeed.

Im just not sold on him anymore. I still think he is a good prospect and worth a high pick.. but the Rose Bowl ruined him for me.. when he went up against real competition, he did NOT look like the superman he is advertised to be. This is bad news for us.

Matt Lienart:

His stock just slipped. His arm strength just isnt gonna cut it at the next level. He is going to need to be in a system that can work with his weak arm. Going up against a defense with a fast secondary, his throws just hung in the air for way to long. he still managed to put up good yardage.. but that had more to do with his drop off passes and quick tosses to the sidelines.

Lendale(sp) White:

He reminds me of DD.. but 15 pounds heavier. I wouldnt mind having HIM as our complimentary back to Davis. I think we may have a better chance of succeeding with him and DD, rather than Bush and DD.

Vince Young:

OMG. If he declared for the draft..he is guaranteed to go in the top 2.. and id give him a 90% chance of going #1 overall. I think if he declared.. we would be foolish not to take him. What a talent.

David Thomas:

if he is available in the 3rd round.. I think we definatly need to consider spending a pick on this guy.

I just dont know what to think anymore. Bush didnt live up to his highlight reel. Players rarely do.. but I barely even saw the flashes of brilliance.. and I saw too many quirks that lead me to beleive he is going to have a hard time taking his skills to the next level.

If he was playing not to get injured.. thinking that he already had the #1 pick locked down... he just made a big mistake. He blew his chance to show that he could do the same thing against good competition that he does to weaker teams.

BTW.. did you notice in the last few minutes of the game.. 3rd and 7.. USC needs a first down to end the game.. who do they give the ball too? White. If Bush is such a huge playmaker.. why wasnt the ball in his hands in that situation?

I might be basing too much of my opinion on one game.. but it was one very important game where we were seeing the two best teams in the nation going head to head in what will be the closest thing to real NFL competition that they have seen. Id say that their performance in this game is more telling than most of the other games they have played. You see who stepped up...and who didnt.

If someone has a good reason to disagree with me on this.. please.. do so.. I would love to go back to thinking that Bush is a great thing for us.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006   #2
dtran04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3326 dtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respected

It was weird seeing Bush on the sidelines as opposed to on the field anywhere. White had the majority of "important" carries...
dtran04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006   #3
bubbajaxonbrown
Rookie

Grid,

Many times you and I have agreed on controversial issues, but...

this is another time!!!

Young was fabulous. He took over that game. I think Bush had a lot of his highlights against tier 2/3 caliber D-I teams. Young performed all year against the best and I have to admit now that he deserves the Heisman and I would take him #1 and let Carr go either at the end of this season or trade him to NO for the #2 pick since no QB wants to go there. With the #2 we could get Bush or Ferguson. I'm a TTU fan so admitting this is hard for me but Yound was fantastic and I would be more excited to see him hold that Texans jersey up in April than Bush.
bubbajaxonbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006   #4
bubbajaxonbrown
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtran04
It was weird seeing Bush on the sidelines as opposed to on the field anywhere. White had the majority of "important" carries...
Bush was nowhere to be seen on the plays that USC NEEDED yards.
Old 01-05-2006   #5
NWTexan Fan
Rookie

GRID!!!! God, I didn't think YOU would jump on the "um...after watching this one game, Bush isn't as great as anyone says" bandwagon.

I can't believe you people. You are judging him on ONE game!!!! AND you're touting White on one game.

I'm going to lose my lunch...jesus...
NWTexan Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006   #6
Texans86
All Pro

Does this game hurt our chances at trading the pick away. Will other teams still consider Bush their back of the future. Surely his stock won't drop with professional teams as much as it has with fans on the Board.
Old 01-05-2006   #7
houstonhurricane
All Pro

Rep Power: 938 houstonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respected

As I stated in another thread, we are not going to draft a player based on one college game (good or bad). There is way too much due dilligence performed - especially when it comes to number one picks. Let's let the individual workouts, combines, etc. take place and then we will have a better idea how everyone grades out.

However, no way that the Texans are going with Young. It is funny, that everyone screams on this board that we don't need another rb on this team so we should trade off our picks. Then a local guy has a big game and now we need to use that pick on a qb. Come on guys, let's take a deep breath and evaluate this after we have more information...
Old 01-05-2006   #8
Texans86
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWTexan Fan
GRID!!!! God, I didn't think YOU would jump on the "um...after watching this one game, Bush isn't as great as anyone says" bandwagon.

I can't believe you people. You are judging him on ONE game!!!! AND you're touting White on one game.

Many people have questioned whether Bush is the best back in his own backfield. LenDale was able to show on the national stage how good he is. The way he plays is definately better suited for the NFL. Also, he now has the record for most TD's in NCAA. That's not one game.
Old 01-05-2006   #9
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 260168 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:

Actually, White didn't do anything tonight that he hasn't done all year. His three TDs tonight put him at ... what? ... 27 TDs on the season? And they are between-the tackles, in-your-face, shove-it-down-your-throat TD runs. Bush is not going to find the open space in the NFL that he faced against the Pac-10 or the rest of the NCAA, for that matter. He's not going to get the corner against NFL-speed defenses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid
Speaking of speed.. is that what that was? He looked faster than some RBs but he didnt wow me with it. Once he got a straight shot and put on the afterburners..he looked pretty fast.. but that same speed didnt seem to translate into the rest of his running. He isnt gonna get to many straight shots in the NFL, he is going to have to do more than what he did to succeed.
I've brought this up before, but of course, no one wanted to see past the Bush hype. So many times this season, someone would argue on these boards that "That long run by DD would have been a TD by Bush!". They conveniently overlook the fact that DD ran between the tackles, made people miss in tight space, and broke tackles to get that run. Put Bush at the end of that run and sure, he gets the TD. I'd argue that he never would have put himself in that situation like DD did. It's a different style. Bush will make a good 3rd-down back and slot receiver guy, but not a full-time tailback.
eriadoc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006   #10
zeplin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid
At least for me it does.

Reggie Bush:

He choked. I know alot of people will say he had a solid game.. but a solid game just wont cut it. We are taking him #1 overall despite the fact that we dont really NEED him, because he is supposed to be an incredible prospect.. and here he is with his chance to show his stuff against the closest thing he is gonna see to an NFL defense before he is drafted.. and he looked "eh".

You can cite his numbers if you want.. and his yards per carry.. but its just not enough. Why doesnt he cut back? He just keeps running for that sideline.. trying to get around the corner and make the big run.. but as you saw, when he was up against a defense that actually had the speed to match him, he couldnt get around that corner. If he thinks the Texas defense is fast.. wait till he goes up against indianapolis. Or Atlanta. Or the Bucs.. or really ANY NFL team.

Im just not sold on him anymore. I still think he is a good prospect and worth a high pick.. but the Rose Bowl ruined him for me.. when he went up against real competition, he did NOT look like the superman he is advertised to be. This is bad news for us.

Matt Lienart:

His stock just slipped. His arm strength just isnt gonna cut it at the next level. He is going to need to be in a system that can work with his weak arm. Going up against a defense with a fast secondary, his throws just hung in the air for way to long. he still managed to put up good yardage.. but that had more to do with his drop off passes and quick tosses to the sidelines.

Lendale(sp) White:

He reminds me of DD.. but 15 pounds heavier. I wouldnt mind having HIM as our complimentary back to Davis. I think we may have a better chance of succeeding with him and DD, rather than Bush and DD.

Vince Young:

OMG. If he declared for the draft..he is guaranteed to go in the top 2.. and id give him a 90% chance of going #1 overall. I think if he declared.. we would be foolish not to take him. What a talent.

David Thomas:

if he is available in the 3rd round.. I think we definatly need to consider spending a pick on this guy.

I just dont know what to think anymore. Bush didnt live up to his highlight reel. Players rarely do.. but I barely even saw the flashes of brilliance.. and I saw too many quirks that lead me to beleive he is going to have a hard time taking his skills to the next level.

If he was playing not to get injured.. thinking that he already had the #1 pick locked down... he just made a big mistake. He blew his chance to show that he could do the same thing against good competition that he does to weaker teams.

BTW.. did you notice in the last few minutes of the game.. 3rd and 7.. USC needs a first down to end the game.. who do they give the ball too? White. If Bush is such a huge playmaker.. why wasnt the ball in his hands in that situation?

I might be basing too much of my opinion on one game.. but it was one very important game where we were seeing the two best teams in the nation going head to head in what will be the closest thing to real NFL competition that they have seen. Id say that their performance in this game is more telling than most of the other games they have played. You see who stepped up...and who didnt.

If someone has a good reason to disagree with me on this.. please.. do so.. I would love to go back to thinking that Bush is a great thing for us.

Grid, can I quote you on that? I have disagreed with you about this for a few weeks and I actually felt sorry for the Bush supporters tonight. He was so obviosly over hyped. I feel you are right on point.
I was sad that he will lose value in a trade down scenaro.

And why did USC not use him in the last few minutes? HMM!!
Biggest game of his college carrier!!!! Choked
Old 01-05-2006   #11
NWTexan Fan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans86
Many people have questioned whether Bush is the best back in his own backfield. LenDale was able to show on the national stage how good he is. The way he plays is definately better suited for the NFL. Also, he now has the record for most TD's in NCAA. That's not one game.
And Bush won the Heisman Trophy...also not determined by one game.
Old 01-05-2006   #12
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

say what ya want.. but ive been basing MY support of Bush on the fact that he was too good a prospect to pass up.

Tonight.. he showed that he ISNT as much of a sure thing as was originally assumed. He was never a sure thing obviously.. but it was assumed that he was such a good prospect that his chances of succeeding in the NFL were very high. He didnt live up to them.

As I said in the original post here.. its not "just one game".. its the most important game.. it was his most difficult game..against the closest thing to an NFL opponent that he has seen.. and he was outshined by THREE other players who will be in the draft (Lienart, White, and Young).

I think White improved his stock to a top 10 pick.. but Bush will still go before him based on his past performance. Im not saying Bush sucks.. im saying that we dont NEED an RB.. and we were only taking him because he was too good to pass up.. Bush is still great.. but he is no longer, in my mind, a player that you "cant pass up"

BTW

Vince Young just said that he wasnt sure if he was going to declare.. he needs to sit down with his momma and his coach and make that decision . So he isnt dead set on returning to UT at this point.
Old 01-05-2006   #13
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtran04
I've been saying that, and I've gotten flamed.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006   #14
NWTexan Fan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonhurricane
It is funny, that everyone screams on this board that we don't need another rb on this team so we should trade off our picks. Then a local guy has a big game and now we need to use that pick on a qb. Come on guys, let's take a deep breath and evaluate this after we have more information...
TOTALLY AGREE! It's becoming laughable! Thank god the water boy didn't have a great game because everyone would be screaming to draft him!
Old 01-05-2006   #15
Grid
Hall of Fame

Yah you can quote me .. I originally didnt support Bush because we didnt need a replacement for DD. Then i supported the pick because he was too good to pass up. He is no longer too good to pass up in my mind.. i have doubts about his ability to succeed at the next level.. and im not going to support spending the #1 pick and 70 million bucks on a player I dont necessarily need, and have doubts about.
Old 01-05-2006   #16
houstonhurricane
All Pro

Rep Power: 938 houstonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respected

NW, haven't you heard? The water boy just told Chris Mortenson that he will consider giving up his final year of eligibility! This changes everything! What should we do now - Young or the waterboy...?
Old 01-05-2006   #17
Grid
Hall of Fame

Guys.. its not that dang "off the wall"... everyone here wants the best value for that #1 pick. The game simply gave people some doubts about Bush, and at the same time Vince Young put up an absolutely astonishing performance against what was considered to be the best Defense behind them.

Its natural that alot of us would now find ourselves less enthusiastic about Bush, and more intrigued by Vince Young... a home town prospect who has played well for two seasons.. but solidified himself as the best QB in the league in this game.
Old 01-05-2006   #18
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Chizik's defense was the closest thing to an NFL defense that Bush could EVER face this season.

And, Bush wasn't the game-changer that he has been.

Think what happens when Bush faces an NFL defense stocked full of hungry veterans ready to chew him up when he tries one of his juke moves.

White has long been the guy that has been disrespected by all of the media. That guy has been pretty humble, if you ask me. He knew he'd get his chance in front of national audience, and he didn't disappoint.

White is the better NFL back by FAR. He has JUST AS MUCH burst to the hole off the snap as any back I've ever seen. UT stopped him on fourth down ONLY because they correctly guessed which gap he would be coming through. The other times, they guessed wrong and White punished them every time.

Bush's stock just went down no matter how a person tries to spin it.

And did you see Leinart post-game interview? Awful. That guy is overly arrogant. "We lost the game...." As if Texas DIDN'T WIN the game. And my favorite was, "...we threw all over them, we ran all over them, and we just came up a half-yard short...." Anytime he gave credit to UT, he followed it with a "BUT" that went on to explain that USC was the better team. Unreal.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006   #19
bubbajaxonbrown
Rookie

Quote:
And Bush won the Heisman Trophy...also not determined by one game.
Bush won the Heisman making plays against tier 2 teams like Fresno St., Oregon, etc. LenDale has been getting yards between the tackles all year but were as "flashy" as Bush's runs. Young has been performing against the best opponents all year in the Big 12.
Old 01-05-2006   #20
NWTexan Fan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonhurricane
NW, haven't you heard? The water boy just told Chris Mortenson that he will consider giving up his final year of eligibility! This changes everything! What should we do now - Young or the waterboy...?
Jees....I don't know! Maybe we can trade our #1 pick and get both!

College games are over right? Thank god because whoever would perform great tomorrow would be our NEXT #1 pick!!!!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read