Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-04-2004   #1
Texans Longhorns
Rookie

Default How does Sloan Thomas look in camp?

Obviously I am a fan of both the Texans and Longhorns.

Can anyone who has been to practice, comment on the play of Sloan Thomas?
Texans Longhorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004   #2
SlimBooter
Rookie

I haven't seen to much of him but he is competing for the WR slot obviously. I've heard he's done pretty decent and should make it on the practice squad.
SlimBooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004   #3
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 374 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

I heard the same but haven't seen him in action.

I'm guessing they'll play him alot in the preseason.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004   #4
LiveForTheGame
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to LiveForTheGame

I'm probably biased because he's from my hometown and high school, but I think he'll make the team...but no higher than 4th best receiver (top 3 being Andre, Jabar, and Corey)
LiveForTheGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004   #5
SlimBooter
Rookie

LiveForTheGame: You got to Klein High? I graduated there a few years ago with Sloan.
Old 08-04-2004   #6
blockhead83
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to blockhead83

I graduated from Klein in '02, I remember seeing Sloan Thomas play football
blockhead83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004   #7
LonghornBabe
Tubin' Chic

Rep Power: 572 LonghornBabe is a quality contributor and well respectedLonghornBabe is a quality contributor and well respectedLonghornBabe is a quality contributor and well respectedLonghornBabe is a quality contributor and well respectedLonghornBabe is a quality contributor and well respectedLonghornBabe is a quality contributor and well respectedLonghornBabe is a quality contributor and well respectedLonghornBabe is a quality contributor and well respectedLonghornBabe is a quality contributor and well respectedLonghornBabe is a quality contributor and well respectedLonghornBabe is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to LonghornBabe Send a message via Yahoo to LonghornBabe

I yelled Hookem at Sloan the other night....and he did the hookem sign back to me! It would be nice for him to make the team....but we are strong when it comes to receivers!
LonghornBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-04-2004   #8
SlimBooter
Rookie

I was kinda hoping he would be tried out as a return man but I guess not. Texans should keep him, whether it be the practice squad or deep in the depth chart.

I'm not sure how the signings/contracts work but if he doesn't make the team can the Texans still retain him and place him on one of the NFL Europe teams or CFL but still keep his rights?
Old 08-04-2004   #9
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 657 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

They can put him on the practice squad him if he clears waivers after final cuts. I thought he might be able to compete on return duties. It looks like that's not the case and that hurts his chances. He will have to show strong at WR and/or exceptional on special teams to make it. There is strong competition for the 4-5 slots now and Armstrong has the upper hand on the #4 slot. They could keep 6 WRs but the last two years they went into the season with 5. Chris Taylor (Aggie) and Jermaine Lewis (no, not that Jermaine Lewis) are tall - lanky receivers that the coaches like. Then there's Kendrick Starling and Albert Johnson. Moses is on the bubble IMO if anyone (backup RB, DB or WR) shows anything on returns.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004   #10
BornOrange
All Pro

Rep Power: 14 BornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVP

I think there is a chance the Texans keep 6 WR's this year since Bradford is in the final year of his contract. The Texans need to groom a replacement and it seems that they have more talent at WR in camp than in years past. It's true that they started the first season with 5 WR's (J. Gaffney, C. Bradford, J. Lewis, A. Black, S. Gideon) on the roster but by the final game there were 7 WR's (A. Harris, C. Bradford, J. Dawson, F. Murphy, J. Gaffney, A. Black, J. Lewis) on the 53 man roster.

Last year the Texans carried 4 HB's most of the season, but this year they will probably only keep 3. I think that extra roster spot will go to a WR this year.
BornOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004   #11
Stampeder
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimBooter
I'm not sure how the signings/contracts work but if he doesn't make the team can the Texans still retain him and place him on one of the NFL Europe teams or CFL but still keep his rights?
I'm not sure about NFL Europe, but CFL players are like NFL free agents during the last year of their Canadian contracts. No NFL team can touch them until then.
Stampeder is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read