Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-01-2006   #1
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected
Smile Rose Bowl Game Thread - Wed. Jan. 4

I think we should have a "Rose Bowl Game" thread on Wednesday stickied somewhere on this board (probably here).

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006   #2
Khari
Administrator

Section: Varies
Rep Power: 22660 Khari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respected

ok..

THE ROSE BOWL GAME
Presented by Citi
Pasadena, CA - Wed. Jan. 4
8 p.m. ET

USC (12-0) vs. Texas (12-0)
Old 01-04-2006   #3
Texas_Thrill
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Texas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballotTexas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

I'm TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO EXCITED!!!!!

GO TEXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(just don't let it be a letdown like LAST year's game.)
Old 01-04-2006   #4
CenTexNative
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to CenTexNative Send a message via Yahoo to CenTexNative

And they, the media, are saying this should be one of the true great games of the Century. Are you kidding me. It's only 2006. THere are still 94 more years left in this century. Granted it 'should' be a great game as the #1 and #2 teams in the nation are playing each other. But I still think it's faaaar to early to be calling it one of the greatest games ever played.
CenTexNative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006   #5
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

I am not really into college ball but I'll be rootin' for Texas. I am sick of hearing about USC, Leinhart, and Bush. I think USC's streak end tonight...
Old 01-04-2006   #6
Texans Fan
Rookie

Hook 'Em Horns!!!

Texas 34
USC 24
Texans Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006   #7
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

I think it is funny how they are calling it the greatest game ever too. Funny how they forgot that last year's game was #1 v. #2, both undefeated, had two heisman winners going against each other, had 4 out of the 5 heisman finalists, and what was the result? 55-10 USC. And that is after USC called off the dogs in the 4th quarter.

USC's offense is much better than it was last year. Their defense may not be as good, but it is very under rated because they have been plagued with injuries for most of the season and apparently are healthy now.

Texas has a very good team but I am a little concerned that their record might be misleading because of the weak schedule they played. They did beat Ohio State and that was impressive, but that was Ohio State without Troy Smith playing the entire game. After seeing Ohio State a few days ago, I am convinced that they would beat Texas if they played them right now. They are a completely different team with Troy Smith under center. Texas also played Oklahoma with an injured Adrian Peterson. With out Peterson, that team is garbage. After that, who did they play? An over rated Texas Tech team which runs a gimmick offense? I'm sorry but this smells like Oklahoma last year all over again.

Sorry Longhorn fans, I don't see this game much better.

USC 56
Texas 21
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-04-2006   #8
SESupergenius

The hype machine is always spinning these days. Remember how bad Boxing used to be "fight of Century" "Fight of the Decade" blah blah blah. In 2004 it was "robert Gallery the best Tackle in the draft in 20 years" then this year its "Reggie Bush is the next Gayle Sayers".
Old 01-04-2006   #9
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

I thought that last years Rose Bowl was the best game of the century

I seriously doubt this game lives up to all the hype & billing, but I'll be watching just like everybody else (where's the sheep?)
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006   #10
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

If I was a betting man, I'd happily accept an offer and bet that USC will win by 10+ points, beyond that I don't know if I'd bet anything. If the game stays close I think UT will likely win, but if one team is going to win in a blow-out it's USC. That said, my prediction for the score is:
USC 45
UT 30
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006   #11
CenTexNative
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to CenTexNative Send a message via Yahoo to CenTexNative

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorKnolle
If I was a betting man, I'd happily accept an offer and bet that USC will win by 10+ points, beyond that I don't know if I'd bet anything. If the game stays close I think UT will likely win, but if one team is going to win in a blow-out it's USC. That said, my prediction for the score is:
USC 45
UT 30
Something tell sme it's going to be a game alot closer than 15 points. This could be one heck of a game. To me it's all about the defensive abilities of both teams. And I do believe that Texas has the edge there. Horns by 9
CenTexNative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006   #12
texplayer2
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SESupergenius
The hype machine is always spinning these days. Remember how bad Boxing used to be "fight of Century" "Fight of the Decade" blah blah blah. In 2004 it was "robert Gallery the best Tackle in the draft in 20 years" then this year its "Reggie Bush is the next Gayle Sayers".
Entertainment, boxing and football are about the hype. The technical stuff is always down played. If they say this will be a good game between two evenly matched opponents, most people start changing the channel. "Game of the Century" gets attention, because most of us won't be around for the next showing if it lives up to billing.
texplayer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006   #13
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan

Texas has a very good team but I am a little concerned that their record might be misleading because of the weak schedule they played. They did beat Ohio State and that was impressive, but that was Ohio State without Troy Smith playing the entire game. After seeing Ohio State a few days ago, I am convinced that they would beat Texas if they played them right now. They are a completely different team with Troy Smith under center. Texas also played Oklahoma with an injured Adrian Peterson. With out Peterson, that team is garbage. After that, who did they play? An over rated Texas Tech team which runs a gimmick offense? I'm sorry but this smells like Oklahoma last year all over again.

Sorry Longhorn fans, I don't see this game much better.

USC 56
Texas 21
Thats fine if you want to pick apart Texas' schedule, but lets take a look at USC's.

1. Hawaii (5-7) (A losing season. This team is just bad)
2. Arkansas (4-7) (A losing season)
3. Oregon (10-1) (Lost to that Sooner team that Texas destroyed)
4. Arizona St. (6-5) (Not a very impressive win over AZ St)
5. Arizona (3-8) (3 whole wins for this team. Another great test for USC)
6. Notre Dame (9-3) (USC almost lost to this team. And Ohio St. rocked ND. Another team that Texas destroyed)
7. Washington (2-9) (What a win for USC. A crappy 2-9 team)
8. Washington St. (4-7) (Another great win. 4-7)
9. Stanford (5-6) (Another losing season.
10. California (7-4) ( Didnt hear much from the Golden Bears this year)
11. Fresno St. (8-4) (Almost lost to Fresno St. FS is nothing special this year. Even lost their bowl)
12. UCLA (9-2) (Only great team on USC's schedule)

And dont even compare White to Young. They are miles apart in talent.

So you were worried about Texas' misleading schedule? Look at theirs.
Blake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006   #14
texplayer2
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE NFL DRAFT
Thats fine if you want to pick apart Texas' schedule, but lets take a look at USC's.

1. Hawaii (5-7) (A losing season. This team is just bad)
2. Arkansas (4-7) (A losing season)
3. Oregon (10-1) (Lost to that Sooner team that Texas destroyed)
4. Arizona St. (6-5) (Not a very impressive win over AZ St)
5. Arizona (3-8) (3 whole wins for this team. Another great test for USC)
6. Notre Dame (9-3) (USC almost lost to this team. And Ohio St. rocked ND. Another team that Texas destroyed)
7. Washington (2-9) (What a win for USC. A crappy 2-9 team)
8. Washington St. (4-7) (Another great win. 4-7)
9. Stanford (5-6) (Another losing season.
10. California (7-4) ( Didnt hear much from the Golden Bears this year)
11. Fresno St. (8-4) (Almost lost to Fresno St. FS is nothing special this year. Even lost their bowl)
12. UCLA (9-2) (Only great team on USC's schedule)

And dont even compare White to Young. They are miles apart in talent.

So you were worried about Texas' misleading schedule? Look at theirs.
5 ranked opponents and everyones best shot. If you take down #1, you've made your season no matter what the record. I don't think it will be a blow out, but Texas better score a bunch or they won't win.
texplayer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006   #15
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Oregon lost to an Oklahoma team that had a more experienced Rhett Bomar and Adrian Peterson was playing and healthy.

USC beat Notre Dame in South Bend where Notre Dame grew the grass out to about 10 inches to slow them down and Notre Dame lost to Ohio State when Justin Zwick wasn't the quarterback.

Fresno State is a rivalry game just like Texas A&M is a rivalry game to Texas.

And UCLA dominated Oklahoma when Adrian Peterson was healthy and USC held UCLA to 6 points until garbage time in the fourth quarter.

If you would like me to criticize the Longhorns schedule more in depth I will.

1. La-Lafayette (Wow what a win)
2. Ohio State (This was impressive, but was with out Troy Smith)
3. Rice (Another power house)
4. Missouri (Another great Big 12 North team)
5. Oklahoma (Beat an inexperienced Rhett Bomar and no Adrian Peterson)
6. Colorado (Needs no explanation)
7. Texas Tech (Gimmick offense that gets beaten badly when faces any good team)
8. Oklahoma State (worst team in the Big 12 South)
9. Baylor (second worst team in the Big 12 South)
10. Kansas (second worst team in the Big 12 North)
11. Texas A&M (had a losing record, no Reggie McNeal, and still almost beat Texas)
12. Colorado (see original description)

There you have it. The great Texas schedule.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006   #16
NinerPheen
Rookie

USC by 30. Texas had a weak, weak schedule. The PAC-10 is gonna come out of the bowl season as the strongest conference and with the national championship trophy.
NinerPheen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006   #17
axman40
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34613 axman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respected

Texas 34
USC 27

Hook em Baby!

Old 01-04-2006   #18
HeHateMe
Rookie

Game of the Year so far has to be USC v ND. I would bet that the PSU v FSU will turn out to be the best Bowl game of this year. USC 42 TX 33, and thats with Texas getting garbage points in the last couple of mins.
HeHateMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006   #19
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan

There you have it. The great Texas schedule.
Your reading and comprehension skills lack.

I'm not defending Texas' schedule. And I never said Texas had a "great" schedule. I merely said, "Thats fine if you want to pick apart Texas' schedule, but lets take a look at USC's."

Basically I want everyone to know that both teams didn't have stellar opponents.

If you are going to dock the Longhorns, then you must dock the Trojans as well.
Blake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006   #20
NFLTexans2002
Rookie

Smile Rose Bowl Game - Wed. Jan. 4

Hi, Houston Texans fans! Sorry for the poor season, and Dom Capers firing, but good luck negotiating and drafting Reggie Bush! I believe he will help the Texans running game immensely if he has an effective offensive line in front of him and the Texans find and hire the right coach for Reggie and the Texans team if both materialize.

I couldn't find a College Football forum thread here in the Texans Official Message Board, but maybe the Mods might still help me if appropriate. Otherwise I like to announce that tonight is the climax to the Bowl Championship Series and American NCAA College Football. The 104th Rose Bowl game, "The Granddaddy Of Them All," will be played at Pasadena, California between #1 USC Trojans vs. the #2 Texas Longhorns. Battle of the two remaining undefeateds in NCAA College Football. Reggie Bush and Matt Leinhart vs. Vince Young. Pete Carroll vs. Mack Brown. Pacific 10 vs. Big 12 Conferences. Snoop Doggy Dog and Henry Winkler vs. Lance Armstrong and Matthew McConaghey.

Keith Jackson and former Oregon Duck and SD Charger Dan Fouts will call the action in this Bowl Championship Series Game for ABC. I have no idea if USC will blowout Texas and going well beyond the spread like they did at the Orange Bowl game last year (Dolphins Stadium At Miami Gardens), but i feel a closer game score-wise will become more cometitive and entertaining, and shoulds help the TV ratings for ABC especially.

I am sure there are Texans fans that are also Texas Longhorns fans who will view this game and Texas is seeking their first NCAA College Football Championship since 1970.

I'm setting my DVDR/TIVo to 5 hours of recording time, better to overrecord than underrecord in case the game extends through the game activities and overtime like last night's Orange Bowl game (My congrats to Joe Pa). ABC will give us a great BCS game tonight. Enjoy your evening and happy viewing!
NFLTexans2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read