Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 08-05-2004   #121
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

Vinny won't be asked to win games for the Cowboys but he will be asked not to lose them.

That's the difference between he and Quincy. QC was asked to win them and he wasn't capable.

I would say they are going into the season knowing they are underdogs for even a wildcat berth and they'll tune up Henson and see where they can take him into next year.

I don't think Vinnie is all that bad. He's a smart QB. He's certainly been successful in the right situation before.

But he's what they've got to go with.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004   #122
Lucky

Rep Power: 213963 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWJD
Vinny won't be asked to win games for the Cowboys but he will be asked not to lose them.
Well, I agree with that assessment. What I'd like to know is, who will be asked to win games for the Cowboys? Eddie George? Keyshawn Johnson? A rookie 2nd round pick? They don't really have anyone to help win games on offense. The Dallas D is good, but they're not capable of dominating as the Ravens did in their Super Bowl year.

Look I give Parcells & Def. Coord. Mike Zimmer a lot of credit for beating up the lousy teams on their schedule last season. They overachieved. And I don't think Carter was a good QB, either (though Parcells had him looking like one for awhile). My point was that Dallas isn't better with Vinny Testaverde at QB over a 16 game schedule. He's immobile, and he can't make plays down the field. Not to mention, Testaverde wasn't that good in his prime.

I just think the cowgirls get a dose of reality this season. Give Henson a couple of years, that could turn around and they could be legit contenders. Not now.
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004   #123
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

I think they'll put a heavy burden on Julius Jones to begin with. The duck and dink passes..10-15 yards.

Keyshawn is a good possession receiver.

The defense can certainly keep them in games and will maybe even win one or two.

I think they'll be 8-8, middle of the pack and Henson will play alot this year.

Great coaching also counts for something.

I don't think they'll make the playoffs unless they win as many as they did last year.

I, for one, think it was inevitable that Quincy would be gone. It just happens to be sooner rather than later.

You never know what a team will do. That's why they play the games. But I guess it's fun to play armchair QB. Or coach. Or GM.
Old 08-05-2004   #124
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Parcells philosophy seems to be that the team wins the game for him, and not any individual player. That's why many Parcells games aren't all that exciting to watch. It's usually a defense struggle even when he competes against teams he should be able to light up. He uses the RB to shorten the game when he's ahead, and to rest his defense. So it's not really one guy winning the game for him. It's the entire team. Whether it be his special teams on a game winning field goal, or his defense with a key turnover, or even his offense with a TD drive. You won't see Vinny be dubbed the "Comeback Senior", nor will you see Jones challenging for number of TDs in a game or season, nor will you see a Bucs style defense that could score several TDs in a season. You'll see a different hero every game, and the only MVP on the team will be Parcells. It's been said that he, alone, is worth 2 or 3 more wins a season. I don't know how much I believe that, but it is undeniable that he is more concerned with his team winning than any particular player being the star.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004   #125
Lucky

Rep Power: 213963 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

When Parcells won big, he had talent to work with. It's misleading to say that he's taken a bunch of scrubs and led them to a championship. Here are the QBs Parcells has had on his team in the past:

Phil Simms - Good
Jeff Hostetler - Decent
Drew Bledsoe - Good
Vinny Testaverde - ('90's version) - Decent

Then Tuna gets to Dallas and he doesn't have a decent QB. That makes his coaching job in '03 maybe one of his best ever. But even last year they faded down the stretch losing 4 of their last 6 games. Instead of getting younger and stronger, Dallas went out and picked up a bunch of 30+ year olds. Parcells can't wave a magic wand and make these guys young again. Tuna could be responsible for 2 or 3 W's and the girls could still finish at sub .500. 7-9 looks about right to me.
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004   #126
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not saying that Vinny will lead the Cowboys to the SB or even to the playoffs. In other threads I've mentioned they'll hover around .500, and will miss out on the playoffs. Much of that is due to their tougher division rivals. I don't claim he'll make anyone younger, but Parcells does get every bit out of his players. That's something that many coaches can't claim. Look at what he did with Otis Anderson when he was with the Giants. The Texans were better last season but their record didn't really reflect how much better. The same could be true of the Cowboys. It's important to remember that even if Vinny is a detriment at his postion, which I don't believe is true, the team can still be improved as a whole.
Old 08-05-2004   #127
BEERnBBQ
Veteran

I asked on another board if quincy may have been released due to the fact that a falied drug test gave jones an out regarding his decision to have carter as his QB. Who else did he release when they used drugs. parcells never cut, much less disiplined LT for using during games. I applaud them for making a stand, but why not try to set him up in some assistance program since he wasn't being suspended. i hope that the test wasn't used as an excuse for cutting carter so that the media, fans wouldn't attack jones, parcells for realizing that carter wasn't the answer for them
BEERnBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-05-2004   #128
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

People have repeatedly brought up LT as if that makes Parcells a hypocrit--is learning from a mistake hypocrisy? People need to understand in football, politics, whatever that hopefully until you die you are learning, which may entail changing positions. Is all learning hypocrisy?--naahhh.
Old 08-05-2004   #129
pv1999
Veteran

Bottom line.
LT won Superbowls and QC did not.
Bill and The Cowboys organization open themselves up to be looked at as being hypocritical because of all of the dopeheads they have suited up when they were winning.
I agree that it is just a ploy to release QC without holding the bag. He may have a whole lot of "not be's" but he is the fifth most prolific QB ever to wear the star certainly he has earned a suspension rehab assignment-type deal from the 'gals.
Old 08-05-2004   #130
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

With their VERY solid defense and Vinny not doing stupid things with the ball, they should be in every game. If they can really stop the other team from scoring, Vinny & Co. should be able to put up enough to win. If Vinny goes out hurt and Drew comes in, the turn overs will go up and the ability to win will go down. Because of their division, I think they will be doing well to hit 500%. However, with that good of a "D" they could do better.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004   #131
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783
Because of their division, I think they will be doing well to hit 500%. However, with that good of a "D" they could do better.
500%? I don't know how they could do better than 80 - 0 next season.

In another note Carter cleared waivers. Here's the story.

Carter Clears Waivers
Old 08-06-2004   #132
HowBoutThemCowboys!
All Pro

Rep Power: 30 HowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performer

Just wondering, there was some talk about Coleman being arrested awhile back. What was the deal with that?

Dallas Cowboys- 5 Time World Champions
HowBoutThemCowboys! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004   #133
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Do you mean the DUI? He was sentenced to 3 days in jail I believe, and faced no penalty from the league.
Old 08-06-2004   #134
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 89864 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by pv1999
Bottom line.
LT won Superbowls and QC did not.
Bill and The Cowboys organization open themselves up to be looked at as being hypocritical because of all of the dopeheads they have suited up when they were winning.
I agree that it is just a ploy to release QC without holding the bag. He may have a whole lot of "not be's" but he is the fifth most prolific QB ever to wear the star certainly he has earned a suspension rehab assignment-type deal from the 'gals.
Bold Mine

I hadn't thought about that but you are right.
Guess the girls just didn't see any upside in keeping him.
Old 08-06-2004   #135
HowBoutThemCowboys!
All Pro

Rep Power: 30 HowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performer

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasguy346
Do you mean the DUI? He was sentenced to 3 days in jail I believe, and faced no penalty from the league.
Oh yeah it was DUI

Dallas Cowboys- 5 Time World Champions
HowBoutThemCowboys! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004   #136
scourge 
Digression King

Rep Power: 3215 scourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respected

Grievance expected on Carter's behalf

look at the picture they have there of Quincy... he's got a very "crackhead" pose going on
scourge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004   #137
Blu
All Pro

Send a message via Yahoo to Blu
Cool Cowboys just got

Pimped by the players union, just like they will this Saturday by the Texans! lol
Old 08-09-2004   #138
WWJD
Hall of Fame

The burden of proof is on Quincy. I've heard two completely different explanations of NFL drug policies..one being the teams cannot administer their own tests and the other that the team can if they feel there is "just cause".

They may get fined, maybe lost a draft choice who knows? But in the end Quincy isn't in their plans and wasn't going to be anyway after this year.
Old 08-10-2004   #139
pv1999
Veteran

Any drug policy that penalizes more for legal substances than illegal drugs is a joke.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read