Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-04-2006   #1
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105876 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Sources close to McNair say it's Kubiak or Ferentz

From the Houston Chronicle

Quote:
Two high-ranking NFL officials close to Bob McNair said Tuesday that Kubiak and Ferentz rank highest on the owner's wish list — one that is heavily tilted toward coaches whose focus is offense.

Ferentz, the hottest college coach in the country as far as attracting NFL interest, was the offensive line coach at Cleveland (1993-95) under Bill Belichick and at Baltimore (1996-98) under Ted Marchibroda.
Y'all better start reading up on Ferentz. It's just my gut, but I think McNair's interest in Kubiak will start to die down when he realizes that Kubiak is not a very good interview. That's not that important of an issue when you're just a coordinator. But it's different as far as being a head coach. As someone else has said, you have to be comfortable talking to 53 people. If you don't have good interview skills, then how can you be an effective leader of the team?

It's worth discussing, IMO.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006   #2
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Coach C. is a Pro BowlerCoach C. is a Pro Bowler

Well Kubiak is on the list and McNair wants a guy that can take QB talent to the next level. Mr. Kubiak how does it feel to be the new coach of the Houston Texans? Kubiak "It just feels like home, it feels right..."
Old 01-04-2006   #3
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

FWIW - in McNair's press conference he said he wanted (didn't necessarily
say he required), a guy who had experience in the NFL and has been a HC.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006   #4
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 65244 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

I was thinking it was just NFL HC experience. 610 had, I guess, part of that same conference that the ideal candidate would have NFL experience and previously a HC at either NFL or college level.
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006   #5
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105876 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

. . So, has Kubiak ever been a head coach? Why not, I wonder?
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006   #6
Texas_Thrill
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Texas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballotTexas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

ok so who is ferentz?
Old 01-04-2006   #7
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32827 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

My question is why is McNair heck bent on a O coordinator?I know the obvious answer but aren't most good head coaches who came from the coordinator rank, D guys?(Coher, Dungy, Bilicheck, Saban(college).John McClain was talking about this yesterday. You can get a great O-coordinator under a D coach. Just something to think about with guys like Gray out there.
HoustonFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-04-2006   #8
texanfan2002114 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 615 texanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus
From the Houston Chronicle

Y'all better start reading up on Ferentz. It's just my gut, but I think McNair's interest in Kubiak will start to die down when he realizes that Kubiak is not a very good interview. That's not that important of an issue when you're just a coordinator. But it's different as far as being a head coach. As someone else has said, you have to be comfortable talking to 53 people. If you don't have good interview skills, then how can you be an effective leader of the team?

It's worth discussing, IMO.
You do need to remember that Kubiak has the inside track for the job with Dan Reeves in McNair's ear. Reeves already saved Casserly's job, don't you think he can get Kubiak the job? I do!! Kubiak will be the HC of this team by the end of next week.
texanfan2002114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006   #9
texanfan2002114 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 615 texanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Thrill
ok so who is ferentz?

The HC to the Iowa Hawkeyes.
Old 01-04-2006   #10
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13829 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Thrill
ok so who is ferentz?
LINK

Kirk Ferentz is in his seventh year as Iowa's head football coach and last November he signed a contract extension that carries through the 2012 season.

Under the direction of Ferentz and his staff, the Iowa football program has enjoyed its greatest success ever over the past three seasons. Iowa has compiled a 31-7 record in that time, winning at least 10 games each season and sharing the Big Ten title in 2002 and 2004. The Hawkeyes were 11-2 in 2002, 10-3 in 2003 and 10-2 a year ago. Iowa's 20 Big Ten victories are also the most for an Iowa team in any three year span.

Ferentz is 42-31 in six seasons at Iowa and his career mark is 54-52 in nine seasons as a collegiate head coach. His Big Ten record is 27-21.
Old 01-04-2006   #11
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus
. . So, has Kubiak ever been a head coach? Why not, I wonder?
Because he and his family have been comfortable in Denver. However, being that he is from Texas, moving here wouldn't be that much of an adjustment for him and his family.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006   #12
Texans Pride
Hall of Fame

Section: 111, Row Q
Rep Power: 347 Texans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano
Because he and his family have been comfortable in Denver. However, being that he is from Texas, moving here wouldn't be that much of an adjustment for him and his family.

Didn't he turn down the head coach position at A&M?
Texans Pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006   #13
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Have we interviewed a black guy yet? cause im ready for something to happen
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006   #14
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

one of my first questions would be what does each candidate bring to the table or in this case the Texans besides themselves?

Kubiak- can he bring any of his fellow assistant coaches? doubtful this is Mike Shanahan's staff, although if he could swing Rick Dennison (offensive line coach) that might sway my opinion. Also I've heard that the Broncos have no free agents so doubtful he brings any players as well.

Kirk Ferentz- can bring his staff if he wants and Norm Parker, Iowa's defensive coordinator, was a finalist for the 2004 Frank Broyles Award, which recognizes the top Division I assistant coach in the nation. Iowa's defensive line coach, was the American Football Coaches Association Division I Assistant Coach of the Year in 2002. Add to that Ferentz himself has extensive experience coaching offensive lines @ Baltimore & Pittsburgh.

But there will need to be a buyout since as has already been noted Kirk had recently inked a new extension- http://hawkeyesports.collegesports.c...112304aaj.html
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006   #15
texanfan2002114 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover
one of my first questions would be what does each candidate bring to the table or in this case the Texans besides themselves?

Kubiak- can he bring any of his fellow assistant coaches? doubtful this is Mike Shanahan's staff, although if he could swing Rick Dennison (offensive line coach) that might sway my opinion. Also I've heard that the Broncos have no free agents so doubtful he brings any players as well.

Kirk Ferentz- can bring his staff if he wants and Norm Parker, Iowa's defensive coordinator, was a finalist for the 2004 Frank Broyles Award, which recognizes the top Division I assistant coach in the nation. Iowa's defensive line coach, was the American Football Coaches Association Division I Assistant Coach of the Year in 2002. Add to that Ferentz himself has extensive experience coaching offensive lines @ Baltimore & Pittsburgh.

But there will need to be a buyout since as has already been noted Kirk had recently inked a new extension- http://hawkeyesports.collegesports.c...112304aaj.html

The Texans d line players really want Mike London back. Gary Walkers was saying that he learned more this year from Mike London then has has in the past 10 years of his carrer.
Old 01-04-2006   #16
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanfan2002114
The Texans d line players really want Mike London back. Gary Walkers was saying that he learned more this year from Mike London then has has in the past 10 years of his carrer.
he also said that he was frustrated with the way the 3-4 defense was implemented & that in the past Capers 3-4 defense was nothing like this. anyways I would have no problem keeping Mike he was just following orders and knows how to coach the D-Line but its something to think about anytime a team experiences massive changing within the coaching staffs
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006   #17
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover

Beer Shanahan as already stated that he will let Kubiak take assistants from the staff. Mainly the ones he has worked with closely. Meaning the RB, OL, and WR coach. Also the assistant QB coach if need be. Hell just for the RB and OL coach I am cool with it. Even though I think Harris is a good RB coach.
Old 01-04-2006   #18
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Here is a question for ya.

Kubiak was interviewed in the Broncos bye week before the playoffs. Can he be named as our head coach before they are done in the postseason? I seem to remember the coaches in NE being selected as head coach of other teams before they won the superbowl last year.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006   #19
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid
Here is a question for ya.

Kubiak was interviewed in the Broncos bye week before the playoffs. Can he be named as our head coach before they are done in the postseason? I seem to remember the coaches in NE being selected as head coach of other teams before they won the superbowl last year.
If i remember correctly, Romeo C. could not be officailly named coach until after the Patriots were out of the playoffs even though everyone knew he the next caoch of Browns.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006   #20
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

You cannot oficially name a coach currently with another team still playing your head coach. It is seen as unethical and tampering. You can name him when the playoffs are over or the team loses.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read