Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Kubiak "more than just the frontrunner"

A Texan

Waterboy
I was watching Fox Sports SW after the Rockets game and after naming who was interviewing for the Texans job they claimed that according to their sources that Kubiak was "more than just the frontrunner" and that they expected him to be named "more sooner than later". We'll see.

UGA

Noob
hope its true. he's the best canidate for the job

this would be a major step in the right direction

ccdude730

Veteran
just like the reeves hiring, im excited. how can you not?

you have a strong arm qb who CAN make all the throws and has feet to make the bootlegs work. the hard part will be rewriting the coaching and teaching he has had for 4 years.

Bobo

Veteran
A Texan said:
I was watching Fox Sports SW after the Rockets game and after naming who was interviewing for the Texans job they claimed that according to their sources that Kubiak was "more than just the frontrunner" and that they expected him to be named "more sooner than later". We'll see.
That would be a crying shame and a step in the wrong direction.

barzilla

Waterboy
Kubiak can't be named until after the Broncos are eliminated from the playoffs, so we might as well do our due diligence and interview as many people as possible. I don't want any stone unturned. The heck with NFL experience. I say interview college coaches (Georgia, West Virginia, Louisville coaches) sound good along with coordinators and recently fired head coaches like Haslett. You can still keep Kubiak number one in your mind, but give others the opportunity to blow you away.

A Texan

Waterboy
DBRONCOFAN said:
If Houston Wants A Winning Team They Should Hire Dan Reeves As The Head Coach..................
I don't get the feeling Reeves wants the HC job. It would be nice to retain him in some capacity, though, maybe as player personnel director or something. On Ch. 26, they said that Reeves had recommended Kubiak.

I know this is not a popular opinion but...

I would rather have Jerry Gray (Bills-DC) b/c he runs a 3-4 and a 4-3 with Buffalo (much like Parcells runs with the Cowboys). I wouldn't mind using the 4-3 but we have 3-4 personel and if we change to a primary 4-3 defense we are going to have cap issues in the next 3 years as we start to cut DT and LB to to fit. We have invested 4 years of draft picks and large FA contracts to fill the 3-4 (some good decisions, some bad). I would be more comfortable knowing we are going to continue with this 3-4 and hire an offensive guru like Martz, Sherman, Tice or Turner to be OC until they get HC jobs.

Jack Bauer

Rookie
bubbajaxonbrown said:
I know this is not a popular opinion but...

I would rather have Jerry Gray (Bills-DC) b/c he runs a 3-4 and a 4-3 with Buffalo (much like Parcells runs with the Cowboys). I wouldn't mind using the 4-3 but we have 3-4 personel and if we change to a primary 4-3 defense we are going to have cap issues in the next 3 years as we start to cut DT and LB to to fit. We have invested 4 years of draft picks and large FA contracts to fill the 3-4 (some good decisions, some bad). I would be more comfortable knowing we are going to continue with this 3-4 and hire an offensive guru like Martz, Sherman, Tice or Turner to be OC until they get HC jobs.
I like Jerry Gray also, but I don't think we will have an issue switching to a 4-3 if this is what the new coach wants to do. We have a lot of talent out of position that we have tried to fit into the system. I don't think there will be cap problems if we make the change. I think many of the players would welcome this change.

MorKnolle

All Pro
It's just my opinion, but I think it is basically Kubiak's job to accept or turn down and that he is the top choice of the team, I'm not sure who would be next on the list, although apparently Linehan is coming in tomorrow to interview so it could be him.

False Start

On # 69
I am very glad to hear this . Kubiak is definately the best man for the job IMO . he worked with Elway , and Davis and has done a great job of bringing Jake The Snake into his own ....... wich is who David Carr reminds me so much of .

Zephyr said:
I like Jerry Gray also, but I don't think we will have an issue switching to a 4-3 if this is what the new coach wants to do. We have a lot of talent out of position that we have tried to fit into the system. I don't think there will be cap problems if we make the change. I think many of the players would welcome this change.
I think it'd be tough b/c we don't have prototypical DE size and speed for a 4-3. Our DE now would be DT in a 4-3 and our OLB (Peek and Babin) were too small for pro DE. That's why they were tweeners when they came out and only 3-4 teams were even considering them. Then our OLB wouldn't have depth b/c our ILB would have to fill them (Wong, Greenwood, etc). We would have to cut Payne eventually b/c we signed him b/c he is a NT not a 2-tech DT. And we just signed Payne and Wong to extensions so cutting them anytime within 3 years probably would come with penalties (this I'm not sure about b/c I haven't seen the numbers but most contracts would hurt us).

Like I said, Gray would be my preference b/c none of this would be a worry since he runs a 3-4. Anyone running a 4-3 will have to deal with these problems for awhile.

S

SESupergenius

Kubiak is also interviewing with the Chiefs and the Rams, as well as the Lions.

Jack Bauer

Rookie
SESupergenius said:
This will be the first choice of the former St. Pius X (Houston) and Texas A&M QB. This is where he wants to be (here or A&M). I have an airtight source on this one!

bdiddy

Waterboy
SESupergenius said:
Through a friend I know Kyle Shanahan (was his roommate at UT) and am told that Kubiak will only take two jobs: (1) Houston or (2) Denver. If he does not get the Texans job he will remain Denver's offensive coordinator.

Regarding Gray, the future of Mike Mularchey and the Bills staff is still somewhat up in the air. It is possible Mularchey could get fired and Gray may be looking for a job. The Texans may consider him for a DC job if Kubiak is choosen as the next HC.

Jack Bauer

Rookie
bdiddy said:
Through a friend I know Kyle Shanahan (was his roommate at UT) and am told that Kubiak will only take two jobs: (1) Houston or (2) Denver. If he does not get the Texans job he will remain Denver's offensive coordinator.

Regarding Gray, the future of Mike Mularchey and the Bills staff is still somewhat up in the air. It is possible Mularchey could get fired and Gray may be looking for a job. The Texans may consider him for a DC job if Kubiak is choosen as the next HC.
You are right about Denver also. But he would take the A&M job also. Of course, Fran is safe for another year.

S

SESupergenius

bdiddy said:

Money Talks, if Kubiak was offered the right amount of money I doubt he stay with Denver.

Jack Bauer

Rookie
SESupergenius said:
Money Talks, if Kubiak was offered the right amount of money I doubt he stay with Denver.
Money is not everything. As bdiddy and I have stated, he will only come to Houston, College Station or remain in Denver after Shanahan leaves. Reliable sources, they are.

S

SESupergenius

Zephyr said:
Money is not everything. As bdiddy and I have stated, he will only come to Houston, College Station or remain in Denver after Shanahan leaves. Reliable sources, they are.
hmm i wonder why he would be entertaining offers from those teams then, free meal and flight maybe?

bdiddy

Waterboy
SESupergenius said:
He was offered the New Orleans Saints job (that eventually went to Jim Haslett) but declined. He took his name out of the New England search during the interview process. He also declined an offer to coach the University of Colorado. Kubiak is very family oriented and will not move his family from Colorado, unless it is to come home.

Regarding A&M, I am not sure his current stance, but he was interested after the Slocum firing.

Jack Bauer

Rookie
SESupergenius said:
hmm i wonder why he would be entertaining offers from those teams then, free meal and flight maybe?
Like any other professional, sometimes you need to "brush up" on your interview skills! :)

Honestly, he is not a great interview and he interviewed for these positions to gain the experience. They asked to speak to him, not vice versa.

S

SESupergenius

bdiddy said:
He was offered the New Orleans Saints job (that eventually went to Jim Haslett) but declined. He took his name out of the New England search during the interview process. He also declined an offer to coach the University of Colorado. Kubiak is very family oriented and will not move his family from Colorado, unless it is to come home.

Regarding A&M, I am not sure his current stance, but he was interested after the Slocum firing.
how much was he offered for the Saints job? Did he decline it because he loves Colorado or where there stipulations in a contract the he didn't like, or did he decline it because of the money? Why did he withdraw from the NE spot, wasn't this well before the Texans when he threw his hat in?

bdiddy

Waterboy
SESupergenius said:
how much was he offered for the Saints job? Did he decline it because he loves Colorado or where there stipulations in a contract the he didn't like, or did he decline it because of the money? Why did he withdraw from the NE spot, wasn't this well before the Texans when he threw his hat in?
I do not know how much he was offered with the Saints. I believe it was more of not wanting to work under Tom Benson. NE was high on Belichek from the beginning and Kubiak knew this, also, NE was in horrible cap position (funny how things turn out).

michaelm

vox nihili
SESupergenius said:
From what I understand, since his team is still playing but on a bye, he can be interviewed but only in Denver.
I don't know for sure if it's a league rule or part of Denver's permission for him to grant interviews. It seems like I heard it was a league rule, though...

S

SESupergenius

bdiddy said:
I do not know how much he was offered with the Saints. I believe it was more of not wanting to work under Tom Benson. NE was high on Belichek from the beginning and Kubiak knew this, also, NE was in horrible cap position (funny how things turn out).
So it's not so much that Kubiak wanted to stay in Denver at his "home" but more of the crappy jobs he was offered.

S

SESupergenius

michaelm said:
From what I understand, since his team is still playing but on a bye, he can be interviewed but only in Denver.
I don't know for sure if it's a league rule or part of Denver's permission for him to grant interviews. It seems like I heard it was a league rule, though...
ok, free meal and "entertainment" then:neener:

bdiddy

Waterboy
:homer:
SESupergenius said:
So it's not so much that Kubiak wanted to stay in Denver at his "home" but more of the crappy jobs he was offered.
You are missing the point, the dude does not want to leave for just any job regardless of $$$. He will only take the Texans, Broncos, and possibly the A&M jobs. He has been prelimilarly contacted for other openings but declined to be considered. Sorry to disappoint you, but your info is plain wrong.

bigcarlos

Waterboy
ccdude730 said:
you have a strong arm qb who CAN make all the throws and has feet to make the bootlegs work. the hard part will be rewriting the coaching and teaching he has had for 4 years.
Tony Banks

S

SESupergenius

bdiddy said:
:homer:

You are missing the point, the dude does not want to leave for just any job regardless of $$$. He will only take the Texans, Broncos, and possibly the A&M jobs. He has been prelimilarly contacted for other openings but declined to be considered. Sorry to disappoint you, but your info is plain wrong.
So you know that if the Chiefs offerend him they job with a good salary package then he wouldn't accept that? I can understand not wanting to go to the Saints, but there are 8 teams this year looking for coaches, it's hard to imagine those other teams not making a good offer to Kubiak and he's turn them down.

S

SESupergenius

michaelm said:
yeah, being that he's in Colorado, maybe they offered him drugs and strippers...
Is Colorado known for drugs and strippers?

michaelm

vox nihili
SESupergenius said:
Is Colorado known for drugs and strippers?
The University of Colorado was under fire for allegedly trying to persuade recuits with strippers drugs and alchohol. This is one of the many issues that cost Gary Barnett his job, I believe.

Taken from USA Today

A timeline of recent University of Colorado controversies since Gary Barnett was named coach in January 1999:

Dec. 7, 2001: Football players and recruits attend off-campus party; two women later say they were raped at the party, and a third says she was assaulted in a dorm room afterward. The three later file federal gender-discrimination lawsuits.

April 2002: Prosecutors decide against rape charges.

•Jan. 28, 2004: A deposition by Boulder County district attorney Mary Keenan is released in which she accuses Colorado's athletic department of using sex and alcohol as recruiting tools.

Feb. 10: Denver adult entertainment company says Colorado football players hired strippers for recruiting parties.

Feb. 17: Former Colorado kicker Katie Hnida tells Sports Illustrated she was raped by a teammate in 2000.

Feb. 18: Police release report in which a woman says she was sexually assaulted by a football player in September 2001 and that Barnett told her he would back his player. No charges were filed. Barnett placed on paid leave for comments attributed to him in the police report and for disparaging Hnida's athletic ability.

May 11: Special prosecutor and Colorado Attorney General Ken Salazar decides not to file criminal charges in nine alleged sexual assaults involving football players.

May 18: Regents' panel releases final report: Evidence of alcohol and drug use to entice recruits but no suggestion that officials condoned misconduct.

March 31, 2005: Federal judge tosses out the lone remaining federal lawsuit filed by two women who say the school failed to prevent their alleged assaults in 2001.

— The Associated Press

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/big12/2005-12-08-dream-job-over_x.htm

ccdude730

Veteran
bigcarlos said:
Tony Banks
what about tony? he has zip on the ball but thats it. he doesnt know **** from shinola. its sad he is even our backup.

SESupergenius said:
So you know that if the Chiefs offerend him they job with a good salary package then he wouldn't accept that?
if i am believing the other posters with reliable sources, i would think the NE situation would be a prime example of him knowing that he is not a front runner for the HC position

Coach C.

Veteran
Kubiak is my personal pick for HC of the Texans. The guy is a class act and no-nonsense. He stresses execution, but allows for playmaking improvisation. He also has a deep loyalty thing, but I doubt to the point of Capers. His assistant HC will be the DC and hopefully it is a class guy like Singletary who I think is ready to move up to DC. As far as Jerry Gray. He is a great guy, but He might be a front runner for the Saints or the Bills if it opens up. Right now Kubiak and Linehan from what I know of the guys could be the options. Linehan is the OC for Miami and was with the Vikings before that. He is 42 and considered a great offensive mind. Other than maybe Sean Payton he is the youngest offesive great guy that is being talked about. Not sure if he is ready for the HC posistion, but I would think he would rather take his frist HC in Oakland. He will be surrounded by talent and Al Davis will spend anything to get guys a coach wants. Meaning if Collins isnt the guy Davis will spend to get the guy likely Jay Cutler of Vandi. It will be interesting to hear the reports of Linehan's and Cameron's interviews. Not sure who else is on the short list of Texans coaching prospects, but it should be interesting.

Malloy

Hall of Fame
michaelm said:
The University of Colorado was under fire for allegedly trying to persuade recuits with strippers drugs and alchohol.

I should go there for a PhD, I like their recruiting methods :)

Coach C.

Veteran
Now MightyTexan dont get me wrong I think Kubiak will have his struggles his first year here. As any coordinator has to learn how to deal with being the head guy and that which that monicker brings. I do think in the long run though IF he is hired we would have a guy like the Shanahan's and Cowhers of the league. A long term mini-teflon don.

HoustonFrog

Dallas Frog
I see many people talking about the 3-4 and 4-3. Weren't many players just saying yesterday that they didn't like the 3-4 because most of the personnel they brought in were used to being in 4-3s in college and could play better in that system?From what I read that is true. So why stay with the 3-4 if even the players were questioning it and how they fit into it?I know they don't run the asylum but I think it is worthwhile to listen to them. JMHO!

El Tejano

Hall of Fame
bdiddy said:
Kubiak is very family oriented and will not move his family from Colorado, unless it is to come home.
If this is true. Then you have to know that Mcnair wants this kind of person heading our franchise.

El Tejano

Hall of Fame
HoustonFrog said:
I see many people talking about the 3-4 and 4-3. Weren't many players just saying yesterday that they didn't like the 3-4 because most of the personnel they brought in were used to being in 4-3s in college and could play better in that system?From what I read that is true. So why stay with the 3-4 if even the players were questioning it and how they fit into it?I know they don't run the asylum but I think it is worthwhile to listen to them. JMHO!
Because even fans like you and me can tell that our 3-4 was being coached so poorly. Fangio just has never fit the mold going all the way back to Indianapolis.

The Preacher

Waterboy
I saw on ESPN the job was the guy from Iowa's if he wanted it but he declined. Hallucinations or is this news I missed out of business?

HoustonFrog

Dallas Frog
El Tejano said:
Because even fans like you and me can tell that our 3-4 was being coached so poorly. Fangio just has never fit the mold going all the way back to Indianapolis.
I agree but why would the players, or some of them, say they prefer a 4-3?I guess that is my beef. If you draftede guys that played a 4-3, undersized or not, they performed well and were drafted. Then you stick them in positions they never played. Seems out of whack.

HoustonFrog

Dallas Frog
The Preacher said:
I saw on ESPN the job was the guy from Iowa's if he wanted it but he declined. Hallucinations or is this news I missed out of business?

I heard this yesterday...that his main deal was whether he wanted to coach in the pros...ansd until he said he did, he really wouldn't be a frontrunner.

Grid

All Pro
HoustonFrog said:
I agree but why would the players, or some of them, say they prefer a 4-3?I guess that is my beef. If you draftede guys that played a 4-3, undersized or not, they performed well and were drafted. Then you stick them in positions they never played. Seems out of whack.

Cause they just went 2-14 and their defense sucks and they know they are better than that. They blame the scheme.. but the 3-4 is a good defense and everyone we have drafted fits just as well in a 3-4 as they do in a 4-3. The problem is that we had a really bad DC and he basicly ruined them to the 3-4. They think they just dont fit the system.. when more likely.. the system we were running doesnt fit anyone.

If we had a DC like Wade Phillips coaching our 3-4.. and they were getting that kind of production.. no one would be complaining about it. Results are the key.

bdiddy

Waterboy
Grid said:
Cause they just went 2-14 and their defense sucks and they know they are better than that. They blame the scheme.. but the 3-4 is a good defense and everyone we have drafted fits just as well in a 3-4 as they do in a 4-3. The problem is that we had a really bad DC and he basicly ruined them to the 3-4. They think they just dont fit the system.. when more likely.. the system we were running doesnt fit anyone.

If we had a DC like Wade Phillips coaching our 3-4.. and they were getting that kind of production.. no one would be complaining about it. Results are the key.
I think the 3-4 is a great defense if run correctly, lets face it, the 4-3 did not even exist before Tom Landry. I think our current personnel is more suited to run the 3-4. However, I am moving towards going to the 4-3. I think the team can improve more quickly under this defense because players are naturally more familiar with this scheme, as it is run by virtually every D-1 school. I think so long as we can become a middle of the back defense we can compete at a high level because our offense is going to be much improved.

Porky

Hall of Fame
TheOgre said:
I wanted Kubiak as our initial HC back when we hired Capers.
Ditto. I was okay with Capers but I was rooting hard for Kubiak at the time because I thought we would likely be working with a young QB (didn't know who at the time) and just thought his overall resume was excellent, plus had Houston ties. Kind of makes you wonder where we would be right now with Kubiak as HC from 02 on instead of Capers?