Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-03-2006   #1
BigDTexansFan
All Pro

Default Loyalty cost Capers his job

I am betting Capers was offered chance to stay IF he fired Pendry/Fangio. (He was too loyal to Chris Palmer and it cost him a lot of games this season and last). So he declines to fire them and so Capers is GONE
Old 01-03-2006   #2
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 85708 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

I kind of doubt that. Even if firing those two made sense from a football perspective, the fans needed a major change. the only way to keep the fans happy is to make that change to show them that you are not just sitting still. Many coaches that deserved to be fired less than Capers have been let go because the "organization decided to go in another direction". ie... we know it's not his fault, but we suck and we need to reinstill faith in our fans...
Capers, on the other hand was part of the problem despite being a really good guy. He just wasn't getting it done.
Maybe it was that he and Cass just couldn't get it done as a team. I'm hoping that the next coach and Casserly are more on the same page philisophically... maybe Cass wil have better luck fitting personell to another coaches system...
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006   #3
bdiddy
Veteran

Default Disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDTexansFan
I am betting Capers was offered chance to stay IF he fired Pendry/Fangio. (He was too loyal to Chris Palmer and it cost him a lot of games this season and last). So he declines to fire them and so Capers is GONE
I know someone in the organization that believes that this might have been true if the Texans had managed to win 5 of the last 7 games. However, it became increasingly clear a change was needed. Capers is not a bad coach, but it was time for new blood. Mr. McNair did not enjoy firing a man he respects.
bdiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006   #4
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

I think he was told to make some changes in coaching during last off-season or his head would be on the chopping block this season.
Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006   #5
tsip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 tsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVP

It's very simple- name of the game is results and Capers did not get them. pure and simple.
tsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006   #6
SESupergenius

I just heard G Walker explain on 610 that the 3-4 defense was totally different than the 3-4 Capers ran with Pittsburgh and that Fangio was cause of the problems on this defense. He basically said he can't wait to have a 4-3 defense come in because the 3-4 defense they were playing was horrible. He said the differences when he was at Jacksonville compared to the Texans, was that is was too complicated and that players were more in a containment phase that blitzing and pass rushing. Fangio cost Mora and Capers thier jobs. Walker Said Dom Capers got fired because of his coordinators, not because of Capers' coaching.

This is something that several of us on this board have seen, that Fangio's defense was nothing similar to the Steelers or JAgs when Capers ran the defense.

So in effect, yes Capers was too loyal for his own good.

Last edited by SESupergenius; 01-03-2006 at 05:26 PM.
Old 01-03-2006   #7
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 281064 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

2-14 cost Dom Capers his job. Plain and simple.
Old 01-03-2006   #8
HoustonFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan
Send a message via AIM to HoustonFan Send a message via MSN to HoustonFan Send a message via Yahoo to HoustonFan

Not sure of how many of you actually started to feel bad for Capers - or felt bad for him - as the season was drawing closer to the end. I know felt bad for the guy. For what G-Funk said about the coordinators, coming from him or any of the guys on the field I could see it. Capers' good guy demeanor may have played a bit of a role as well. I think he was a bit soft on the team at times, or the emotion wasn't there when things were goin wrong on the field - GET MAD, MAN!!!! God knows we were.

I wish that they could have won those close games 6 of which I think were winnable and would have put us at .500, so that he could have finished out his contract. Maybe next season firing Pendry and Fangio and bringing in some coordinators that would be on the same page. Ah well. Wishful thinking. Good luck to Dom Capers in his future endeavors.
Old 01-03-2006   #9
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Just remember that, while Capers was placing all that blind faith in Fangio, he was stifling Palmer's offense and then he fired him and promoted THE OFFENSIVE LINE COACH, who installed the 1.2 second drop and decided we didn't need to throw the ball more than 4 yds. downfield. I think Capers is WAAAAAAAY better suited as a D Coordinator, where he can't touch the Offense and can't have any say in what other coaches do. He's a nice guy, but I am really glad he's gone.
HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006   #10
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Several on this board have pointed out the differences between the Steelers and Texans 3-4 over the years. The Steelers linemen play more one gap penetration as a rule and Fangio's scheme is almost exclusively hold, read and react. What's telling now is how several devensive players (Walker, Dunta, and others) are coming out now and freely blasting Fangio's system. It's the same crap we heard from Indy four years ago. It's Fangio's 3-4 that was the problem but Dom being loyal to his buddy's system played a major role in bringing him down via the lousy performance on the field.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006   #11
SESupergenius

Yes I tend to agree with that, But I'm an acknowledge Caper Homer. I felt that Fangio was not a good DC and that our offense was horrible. I wished that McNair or Capers had taken it upon themselves to work out plan for Capers to stay but that they bring in a better 3-4 coordinator and a west coast offense. looks like we'll be getting the west coast offense anyways if we get Kubiak, but we might ditch the 3-4.
Old 01-03-2006   #12
zeplin
Veteran

The Buck stops with the head coach. Dom's head had to roll. 2-14 coupled with 60,000 + screaming Texan fans. I think if Mcnair let him stay there would have been a bunch of empty seats next year at Reliant even if Mr Bush had anoited us with his superhuman powers.
Old 01-03-2006   #13
stevo3883
All Pro

i thought it was the horrible game planning and play calling coupled with the poor player development and large decrease in fan interest.

oh well, must just be me
Old 01-03-2006   #14
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo3883
i thought it was the horrible game planning and play calling coupled with the poor player development and large decrease in fan interest.

oh well, must just be me
I thought it was the way he looked with his mouth open.
HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006   #15
tsip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 tsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo3883

oh well, must just be me
..good points!
tsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006   #16
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 45478 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

Walker pretty much said both coordinators got Capers fired. Whether Dom had a chance to stay by firing them, don't know. You'd think a coach with his job on the line could look past loyalty, especially when those he's loyal to suck and it isn't working.

You know, I've now heard that Capers wanted the players so Cass went and got them for him, and now this with the coordinators and Dom. Sounds to me like there's no chain of command in the organization othet than McNair. If Capers wanted #31, Cass should have said, "oh hell no". If Fangio wasn't running the 34 the Capers way, then Dom should have said, "oh hell no".

Let's hope the next HC gets football people in here and not a bunch of old buddies. Screw loyalty.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006   #17
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225674 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Loyalty is a virtue but what we saw out of Dom Capers bordered on blind loyalty. That's going to get you in trouble every time.

Dom lost his job because he didn't fix what was wrong. He was a defensive coordinator for crying out loud. If Fangios defense was crap then Dom should have known that before anybody and he should have known it needed to be changed.
Old 01-03-2006   #18
SESupergenius

Well, lesson learned, it important to get a good head coach, but more important to get good coordinators if you are going to rely on them to run the show. I hope this next staff will do a better job of either the HC calling the plays or making sure his assistants are on the same page as him and are fully capable to run things on their own.
Old 01-04-2006   #19
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5496 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

If Capers is smart he will take their numbers off of his rollodex(sp) when he gets another coaching job.
BigBull17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006   #20
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10235 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel
Loyalty is a virtue but what we saw out of Dom Capers bordered on blind loyalty. That's going to get you in trouble every time.

Dom lost his job because he didn't fix what was wrong. He was a defensive coordinator for crying out loud. If Fangios defense was crap then Dom should have known that before anybody and he should have known it needed to be changed.
That's actually what I'm most dissapointed by with Capers, that the defense never got rolling as it was supposed to under his wings.
Malloy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read