Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-03-2006   #1
Nighthawk
All Pro

Default QB competition for Carr?

Let's help Mr. McNair here. I assume Carr's staying, but lord knows he could use a little competition. So: what FA (or trade, for that matter) QB would you bring in to push Carr? Has to be a QB who could run the team and be a starter if he actually beat Carr out of the position.
Nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006   #2
Bobo
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk
Let's help Mr. McNair here. I assume Carr's staying, but lord knows he could use a little competition. So: what FA (or trade, for that matter) QB would you bring in to push Carr? Has to be a QB who could run the team and be a starter if he actually beat Carr out of the position.
Competition for the members of the offensive line is what's really needed.
Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006   #3
HeartofHouston
Veteran

jon kitna is a FA we should take a look at him..
Old 01-03-2006   #4
mancunian
Daleks Rule

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Rep Power: 832 mancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk
I'd go with Kitna though he was horrible in the Bengals loss to the Chiefs
mancunian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006   #5
JSlat6
Rookie

Reggie McNeal is the answer to competiton to David Carr
JSlat6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006   #6
Bobo
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSlat6
Old 01-03-2006   #7
Bobo
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartofHouston
jon kitna is a FA we should take a look at him..
Why do so many people want to take other teams' washouts? Doncha remember P-Buch?
Sponsored links
Old 01-03-2006   #8
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 12831 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316

This thread = all Fiddy and Wonger needed. Good job Nighthawk. :brickwall
Old 01-03-2006   #9
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSlat6
Reggie McNeal will be lucky to get drafted after the stunt he pulled at the end of last season where he was going to be the starter against Texas but didnt show up to any of the team meetings.

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006   #10
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11 Coach C. is a Pro BowlerCoach C. is a Pro Bowler

He is the franchise signal caller and in a new system will put up numbers similar to carson Palmer. Yeah I said it. Banks should be gone, Ragone you are the backup and whoever the best QB in the 7th round is that is my guy.
Old 01-03-2006   #11
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach C.
He is the franchise signal caller and in a new system will put up numbers similar to carson Palmer. Yeah I said it. Banks should be gone, Ragone you are the backup and whoever the best QB in the 7th round is that is my guy.
And so for yet another year, Carr will not be challenged in training camp and will not have anyone to push him.

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Old 01-03-2006   #12
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

He will finally have QB coach and a HC to push him. That is who he will have. I have no problem with a QB not having competition when he is your guy, and in case you have not noticed Carr is our guy.
Old 01-03-2006   #13
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1330 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run

Quote:
if we get kubiak, which looks like the most fesable option at the moment, look for Plummer like number, minus the stupid INT's. That sort of production (20-25 Td's with 10 INT's coupled with DD and Wells/Morency giving us a solid running game (i am theorzing we go the D'Brick/trade down route) and we should have a top 10 offense. also, having a good O takes pressure off the D, minimizing the other teams running game, all in all, a HUGE upgrade over what we had this season....

PS: how about some blitzes and man coverage this season? hell ya!!!
Old 01-03-2006   #14
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1330 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run

also, seeing as i completly ingnored the actual question in my first post, how Kurt Warner's contract looking with the card's? i think danny green wants to keep him, but if he is let go i would love to pick him up as a viable #2...
Old 01-03-2006   #15
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

RDR you have actually done your homework. And just think he can throw the ball deep to guys like Andre and Mathis that wont consistently drop the rock like Ashley Lelie and Darius Watts.
Old 01-03-2006   #16
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1340 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I have no problem with a QB not having competition when he is your guy, and in case you have not noticed Carr is our guy.
This is exactly why he has regressed... there is no threat of him getting benched so he's had nothing to worry about. If dude was on any other team in the NFL he would have been sat down a dozen times over the past 25 games.
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006   #17
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
He will finally have QB coach and a HC to push him. That is who he will have. I have no problem with a QB not having competition when he is your guy, and in case you have not noticed Carr is our guy.
It's human nature to do better when someone is pushing you then when you've been handed the job, that's all I'm saying. Almost every other QB in the league had to win his job and beat out a vet except Carr. Palmer is the guy in Cinci put even he had to wait because he couldnt beat on Kitna. Big Ben wasnt the QB in Pittsburg until the starter went down with an injury.

You can still be the guy and have competition.

Old 01-03-2006   #18
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
RDR you have actually done your homework. And just think he can throw the ball deep to guys like Andre and Mathis that wont consistently drop the rock like Ashley Lelie and Darius Watts.
AJ dropped a lot of balls this year and Mathis dropped a few of he small selection. After this season, I wouldnt say that AJ and Mathis have better hands then Lelie and Watts.

Old 01-03-2006   #19
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

I would, and I did. Lelie is known for his drops and Watts like AJ had the dropsies this year. Carr regressed if you will because the system he played in is terrible. I mean is Plummer a better QB or is the system he is in now just fit him better. A QB that has competition does by no means mean that you are going to do better. There are more people that fold under competition than do well. That is human nature and fact.
Old 01-03-2006   #20
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
There are more people that fold under competition than do well. That is human nature and fact.
So you are scared that Carr may fold under competition/pressure???

If my QB cant handle competition, i dont want him leading the 2 minute drive down by 4 starting from his 20 yard line.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read