Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-03-2006   #1
Big B Texan Fan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Big B Texan Fan has been demoted to the practice squad
Default African American Head Coaching Candidates?

Does anyone know of who the 7-8 teams with a head coaching vacancy is gonna interview that is African American? Every coach I've heard of has been Caucasion.
The NFL says every team that has a vacancy has to interview African Americans.
Just curious since it's a rule with consequences if not followed.
Old 01-03-2006   #2
YodAa
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to YodAa

isnt greg williams black?
Old 01-03-2006   #3
bigcarlos
Veteran

Jerry Gray will probably be interviewed by all just to comply with the rules. Hope he gets a chance, here or somewhere.
bigcarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006   #4
LBC_Justin
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 LBC_Justin is a Pro BowlerLBC_Justin is a Pro Bowler

MIKE SINGLETARY (sp?)
LBC_Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006   #5
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Herm Edwards
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006   #6
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Sadly most teams will just interview a token black coach or coordinator with no desire to hire them.

I understand why they have the rule and think that it is a good idea, but believe that most of the time teams just interview a minority candidate because they have to rather than because they want to. I mean some of these teams interview the most random candidate because they are black and they have to. On the other hand, without this rule, coaches like Tony Dungy, Lovie Smith, and Romeo Crennel might not have gotten the opportunity to make it in the NFL.

So I really don't know what to think.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006   #7
Snapple
Veteran

I want someone who understands good offensive line scheme. That limits my top choices to the OCs at Denver and Kansas City, neither of which happen to be black. If they were black, I'd be all for it. But I want the guy who's most qualified to fix our problem, regardless of color.
Snapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-03-2006   #8
Youngstown Colt
All Pro

Art Shell used to be the token black interview for a while (after his head coaching stint) teams didn't know what to do after he took his hat out of the ring

I say if someone's the best, hire them.
Old 01-03-2006   #9
eric138
Veteran

Rep Power: 985 eric138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respected

If I had the opporunity and qualifications to be a coach of any kind in the NFL I would personally be offended if teams interviewed me because the NFL was forcing them to because of my skin color. That is f'ed up in its own. But I guess that's the way it has to be to give the good black coaches a chance.
Is there a requirement for hispanic and asian coaches?
eric138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006   #10
texanfan2002114 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 615 texanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by YodAa

I hope your joking!! And if your not, no Greg Williams isn't black. He is the defensive cor. at Washinton. As far as Jerry Grey, he is black as was mentioned by McNair right after the news conference as a person they asked permission to speak to and someone the Texans will look at hard.
texanfan2002114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006   #11
JfromthaTray
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by YodAa
Just because his last name is williams doesn't mean he's black. No he is not
JfromthaTray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006   #12
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan
Sadly most teams will just interview a token black coach or coordinator with no desire to hire them.

I understand why they have the rule and think that it is a good idea, but believe that most of the time teams just interview a minority candidate because they have to rather than because they want to. I mean some of these teams interview the most random candidate because they are black and they have to. On the other hand, without this rule, coaches like Tony Dungy, Lovie Smith, and Romeo Crennel might not have gotten the opportunity to make it in the NFL.

So I really don't know what to think.
I think the rule stinks. I think in this day and age teams hire the best person for the job period. The guys you mentioned didn't get hired because of the Rooney rule. They were the best person for the job. If someone doesn't want to hire a person because of race then they aren't going to do it. Rooney rule has no effect.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006   #13
Texas_Thrill
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Texas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballotTexas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Well it seems like Herm Edwards could be available.

As far as the language reads I think its you have to interview a minority candidate not so much a african-american one. I mean I feel like the rule has helped in some aspects b/c for the longest it was a hire who you know and coaches were just being recycled and left out the coaches you just mentioned.

All that said I just want a coach I can feel GOOD about.
Old 01-03-2006   #14
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I mentioned before that Jeff Fisher was one of my choices because he was a player in the league and because he is a defensive coordinator that fired up his unit to play hard for him all the time. The more I think of it, getting Jerry Gray could possibly be and have the same results.

Put my list like this:

1.) Kubiak
2.) Jerry Gray
3.) Herm Edwards or Jeff Fisher if either/or are available.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006   #15
JfromthaTray
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric138
If I had the opporunity and qualifications to be a coach of any kind in the NFL I would personally be offended if teams interviewed me because the NFL was forcing them to because of my skin color. That is f'ed up in its own. But I guess that's the way it has to be to give the good black coaches a chance.
Is there a requirement for hispanic and asian coaches?
Are there any qualified asian or hispanic candidates?
Old 01-03-2006   #16
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

The one thing I fear of having a black coach is Houston fans. You heard how they treated Moon and his family in the stands when Moon was one of the first black QBs, imagine what they will do when a black man is a coach.

Also by saying this, I am not assuming a black coach will fail or be a losing one. I am saying that if he does end up making bad calls and stuff you will hear alot of bad remarks.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006   #17
JfromthaTray
Veteran

I may be giving the city a little too much credit, but I think it's ready for a black HC, not that it will happen, but i think the city's ready.
Old 01-03-2006   #18
Texas_Thrill
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Texas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballotTexas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Yea I want to give the city a little bit of credit as well but then again it would be the first african-american to head any pro franchise in Houston.

I have mixed feelings about this one.
Old 01-03-2006   #19
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 72471 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

"Are we supposed to be talking about this?" - Jerry, Seinfeld
Runner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006   #20
JfromthaTray
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Thrill
Yea I want to give the city a little bit of credit as well but then again it would be the first african-american to head any pro franchise in Houston.

I have mixed feelings about this one.
Don Chaney Houston Rockets before Rudy and after Fitch

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read