Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-02-2006   #1
LBC_Justin
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 LBC_Justin is a Pro BowlerLBC_Justin is a Pro Bowler
Default Lets talk about O-linemen. How much do you know?

D'Brickashaw Ferguson. I keep hearing the name. He is the top O-lineman prospect.

Has anyone actually seen a single Virginia game this year? I have not. I have not seen him play a single down. Even if I did I would not exactly know how to grade an O-lineman.

In last years draft everyone said that it was very weak for O-linemen but that the 06' draft was going to be loaded with great players that those positions.

Is this draft that deep with O-linemen? Is D'Brickashaw Ferguson a SURE thing?

I live in SoCal and have seen almost every USC game. I know Reggie Bush is going to be a NFL star. No doubt about it. If we do draft him in a few years you won't remember DD's name. I will have no regrets if we draft him.

But with that said I want the Texans to do what is best for the team. I am interested in exploring all options. I just want us to win and I realize the people making the decision know a lot more than I do.(hopefully)
LBC_Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006   #2
big homey
Veteran

I haven't watch any Virginia games either, but I hear that his hype is more about potential than anything. Apparently he's undersized, but is a top-notch pass blocker and average run blocker. I also heard that he lacks the "mean streak" most elite linemen have.

I don't think tackle is our biggest need anyway.
big homey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006   #3
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Here is a thread from Virginia's bowl game

http://www.houstontexans.com/fan_zon...ad.php?t=16269
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006   #4
JDizzle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4741 JDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respected

Put it on ABC and watch the Sugar Bowl. Max Jean-Gilles is having a nice game so far individually. Maybe the Dogs will get blown out and his stock will fall a bit? It could happen.
JDizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006   #5
LBC_Justin
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 LBC_Justin is a Pro BowlerLBC_Justin is a Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan
Here is a thread from Virginia's bowl game

http://www.houstontexans.com/fan_zon...ad.php?t=16269
Thank you.

I listen to Sirius NFL Radio for hours every day. (I spend way too much time in my car.) They have some great NFL guys and i respect most of their opinions (with the exception of Shannon Sharpe).

Pat Kirwan (who's oppinion I respect the most and whos oppinion almost always makes sense. http://www.nfl.com/writers/kirwan), he claims that many many first round OT bust and that that position is often a long shot and that players are often not equal to their hype.

This seems to be the case with D'brick
LBC_Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006   #6
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBC_Justin
Thank you.

I listen to Sirius NFL Radio for hours every day. (I spend way too much time in my car.) They have some great NFL guys and i respect most of their opinions (with the exception of Shannon Sharpe).

Pat Kirwan (who's oppinion I respect the most and whos oppinion almost always makes sense. http://www.nfl.com/writers/kirwan), he claims that many many first round OT bust and that that position is often a long shot and that players are often not equal to their hype.

there was a thread going a while back, showing the top RB and OT in each class and how they compared at their respective position.

I'm going to spoil it for you and tell you that WAY more OT's were pro-bowl, fall of fame when career ends kinda guys, and WAY more RB's were BUST.

however, if a mod would pull that thread up for documentation, that would be splendid.

I would also reconsider who I trust on that station if that is the info they are feeding you, and he is their "best" guy. Also, if Sharpe is even on it, you know it has to be sub-par.
Old 01-02-2006   #7
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84801 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

So far Gilles has been dominant.

- Edmund Burke
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-02-2006   #8
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

If I'm not mistaken Gilles is projected as more of a OG in the NFL than an OT and would therefore be fairly likely to fall to the 2nd round. We definitely need help with our interior line but we also need one more OT as well. Here are some of the top OT prospects in this years' draft (info from www.nfldraftcountdown.com and is in order or their positional rankings which may or may not be outdated and not 100% accruate):
OT:
D'Brickashaw Ferguson 6-5, 295 lbs. Virginia
Eric Winston 6-7, 312 lbs. Miami
Winston Justice 6-6, 300 lbs. USC
Marcus McNeill 6-9, 338 lbs. Auburn
Jonathan Scott 6-7, 310 lbs. Texas
Daryn Colledge 6-5, 298 lbs. Boise St.
Jeremy Trueblood 6-9, 330 lbs. Boston College
Andrew Whitworth 6-7, 322 lbs. LSU
Ryan O'Callaghan 6-7, 340 lbs. California

OG:
Max Jean-Gilles 6-4, 340 lbs. Georgia
Davin Joseph 6-3, 312 lbs. Oklahoma
Charles Spencer 6-5, 330 lbs. Pittsburgh
Jason Spitz 6-4, 308 lbs. Louisville
Mark Setterstrom 6-3, 295 lbs. Minnesota
Taitusi Lutui 6-6, 370 lbs. USC
Will Allen 6-6, 315 lbs. Texas

OC:
Greg Eslinger 6-3, 285 lbs. Minnesota
Nick Mangold 6-4, 290 lbs. Ohio St.
Ryan Cook 6-7, 320 lbs. New Mexico

I haven't watched a whole lot of college football this year and have seen even less of most of these OLinemen so I don't have much of an analysis on them as of this moment, but this is a list of some of the top prospects according to NFL scouting websites. Ferguson and Winston are the two that I have actually seen some of their games and made it a point to watch them, and between them I prefer Eric Winston, but I'm waiting until after the combine and pro days and all that to make my final decision on who I like best among them and what direction I think the Texans should/will go in the draft.

Last edited by MorKnolle; 01-02-2006 at 10:03 PM.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006   #9
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84801 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

He looks pretty versitile to me and can probably be shifted to any of our interior line spots. Turn on the game and watch him. If some how he slips we need to grab him.

- Edmund Burke
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006   #10
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorKnolle
If I'm not mistaken Gilles is projected as more of a OG in the NFL than an OT and would therefore be fairly likely to fall to the 2nd round. We definitely need help with our interior line but we also need one more OT as well.
If he were only an OT, he would still be a second round at the earliest. Too many others rate higher at OT. OG is a second round position.
Old 01-02-2006   #11
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan
there was a thread going a while back, showing the top RB and OT in each class and how they compared at their respective position.

I'm going to spoil it for you and tell you that WAY more OT's were pro-bowl, fall of fame when career ends kinda guys, and WAY more RB's were BUST.

however, if a mod would pull that thread up for documentation, that would be splendid.

I would also reconsider who I trust on that station if that is the info they are feeding you, and he is their "best" guy. Also, if Sharpe is even on it, you know it has to be sub-par.
not sure if this is it

http://www.houstontexans.com/fan_zon...ensive+linemen
Old 01-02-2006   #12
JDizzle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4741 JDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If I'm not mistaken Gilles is projected as more of a OG in the NFL than an OT and would therefore be fairly likely to fall to the 2nd round. We definitely need help with our interior line but we also need one more OT as well. Here are some of the top OT prospects in this years' draft (info from www.nfldraftcountdown.com and is in order or their positional rankings which may or may not be outdated and not 100% accurate.
Did I say we should plug him in at Tackle? I'm aware he's a guard, and he's looking like a pretty good one at that. I'm not so sure that Ferguson would be an upgrade over Pitts at LT anyways, and I really think we can pick up a stud guard in round 2, leaving round 1 open for a defensive stud or Reggie Bush.
JDizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006   #13
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan
no, but that was a pretty close try. It was going back at least 10 years.
Old 01-02-2006   #14
Scooter 1984
Rookie

I'm seeing Marcus McNeil being mentioned with DBrick in some discussions. What's everyone's opinion of him? I haven't seen him play.
Scooter 1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006   #15
ArlingtonTexan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBC_Justin
Thank you.

Ferguson is a good player with potential to be more dominate than he plays currently. He has great foot work and long arms staying in front of his man, but does have some questions that would have me worried about drafting him in like the top 5.
Old 01-02-2006   #16
big homey
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan

I think that thread was by Jerek, talking about several past drafts' top 10's, and who broke out or just broke.
big homey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006   #17
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter 1984
I'm seeing Marcus McNeil being mentioned with DBrick in some discussions. What's everyone's opinion of him? I haven't seen him play.
McNeil is not in the same elite class. He is strictly a RT only and does not posess the finess needed. He is, however, a mammoth of a man. He excells at run blocking, and holds in own in pass pro. He has a tendancy to stand to erect at times, allowing defenders to get into his chest. His arms are not long enough either.
Old 01-02-2006   #18
ArlingtonTexan

Quote:
Originally Posted by big homey
I think that thread was by Jerek, talking about several past drafts' top 10's, and who broke out or just broke.
I liked that one too. I believe this is that creature.

http://www.houstontexans.com/fan_zon...ad.php?t=15430
Old 01-02-2006   #19
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackDizzle
Did I say we should plug him in at Tackle? I'm aware he's a guard, and he's looking like a pretty good one at that. I'm not so sure that Ferguson would be an upgrade over Pitts at LT anyways, and I really think we can pick up a stud guard in round 2, leaving round 1 open for a defensive stud or Reggie Bush.
No, I was saying that he should be an OG and would likely be available in the 2nd round so we could use our 1st rounder elsewhere, but as I said we need another OT too so I would probably look for a RT/future LT in the 1st round after trading down out of the #1 pick.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006   #20
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If I'm not mistaken Gilles is projected as more of a OG in the NFL than an OT and would therefore be fairly likely to fall to the 2nd round.
as of right now I have him slotted to the Ravens with the 13th overall pick, I'm projecting him as the Ravens new Left Guard, right next to Jonathan Ogdon :brickwall ouch'e my head hurts
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read