Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-02-2006   #1
BattleRedTexan
Rookie

Default I just hope the Texans don't screw it up...

Until recently, I had been fairly certain that the Texans will make the right decison and draft Reggie Bush.

But lately, a lot of my co-workers have been saying: "The Texans will screw it up just like the Oilers used to." Basically, A LOT of the guys that I work with think the Texans will end up drafting someone else or trading the #1 pick.

If the Texans do not draft Reggie Bush, it will be the worst decision they have ever made. The fans have tolerated this horrible season, but there is a light at the end of the tunnel because we know that we can get Reggie Bush now. The Texans can salvage this season, and make the fans happy by drafting Reggie Bush. If they "screw it up," they will make a lot of people angry and they will be making the "same old mistakes" that past Houston ProFootball teams have made.

Reggie Bush is one of those special kinds of players that only come around every once in a while. He is truely a FRANCHISE player (which some people claim that we don't have yet -- although I don't agree with that statement). Players like Reggie Bush are true "difference makers" and they are very rare. I just hope that the Texans draft Reggie Bush, then they can use the other picks to fill other necessary positions.

Last edited by BattleRedTexan; 01-02-2006 at 04:37 PM. Reason: n/a
BattleRedTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006   #2
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

I don't think McNair will let them pick anyone but Reggie. He has said that he is going to have more input on decisions this year.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006   #3
Overalls
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 64 Overalls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respected

Every year the draft heads call some one a one of a kind type player a real difference maker.

Overalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006   #4
houstonhurricane
All Pro

Rep Power: 937 houstonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respected

We will have plenty of time to debate the merits of Bush vs. trading down. However, we do have to reflect on how lucky we are to have this pick. It will be very interesting to see what offers we receive for the pick and to see how Bush grades out at the combines. It should be fun for all Texans fans to watch!
houstonhurricane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006   #5
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Tulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVP

I see only three scenarios that would cause the Texans not to pick Bush:

1. Bush drastically drops his own draft stock due to a combine/pro-day flub, gaining too much weight, etc.

2. Bush injures himself a la Willis McGahee in the Rose Bowl.

3. Some insane GM goes Mike Ditka and offers his team's entire draft for the #1 pick.

Casserly hasn't gone wrong in the first round yet (with the Texans). I'm not overly concerned.
Tulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006   #6
Holden135
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulip

1. Bush drastically drops his own draft stock due to a combine/pro-day flub, gaining too much weight, etc.

3. Some insane GM goes Mike Ditka and offers his team's entire draft for the #1 pick.

Casserly hasn't gone wrong in the first round yet (with the Texans). I'm not overly concerned.
Agreed. We have to atleast wave the no. 1 pick in the air and see what kind of offers we get. We could find someone that gets a little crazy. You guys remember when the Cowgirls traded H. Walker for what amounted to about 3 hall of famers?
Holden135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006   #7
BattleRedTexan
Rookie

Default One thing is for sure...

I keep hearing people question whether David Carr is a: average vs. good vs. great Quarterback.

But one thing is for sure... If the Texans get Reggie Bush, it will make

David Carr a better quarterback, and

Andre Johnson (oops, sorry) a better receiver.

A running threat like Reggie Bush, will force defenses to "worry" about Bush, and that will open up the passing game for Carr, and therefore more big Andre Johnson receptions.

We are in VERY GOOD SHAPE if we get Reggie Bush, and I look forward to next year's offense once we have him...
Sponsored links
Old 01-02-2006   #8
Overalls
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 64 Overalls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleRedTexan
I keep hearing people question whether David Carr is a: average vs. good vs. great Quarterback.

But one thing is for sure... If the Texans get Reggie Bush, it will make

David Carr a better quarterback, and

Andre Owens a better receiver.

A running threat like Reggie Bush, will force defenses to "worry" about Bush, and that will open up the passing game for Carr, and therefore more big Andre Johnson receptions.

We are in VERY GOOD SHAPE if we get Reggie Bush, and I look forward to next year's offense once we have him...

Andre Owens?

Overalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006   #9
BattleRedTexan
Rookie

Unhappy Sorry...

Sorry

I meant Andre Johnson!
Old 01-02-2006   #10
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

The problem is that Casserly should be able to get the first round right. His problem is finding the right guys in 2-5. He will find a RB, etc but not any O-lineman. That is where teams like the Patriots and the old Cowboys made their mark. Larry Allen in Rd 2.
HoustonFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006   #11
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Tulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog
The problem is that Casserly should be able to get the first round right. His problem is finding the right guys in 2-5. He will find a RB, etc but not any O-lineman. That is where teams like the Patriots and the old Cowboys made their mark. Larry Allen in Rd 2.
Lots of teams have first round busts. He has none for the Texans, so he's actually ahead of the curve.

And Casserly has brought in some really good choices in rounds 2-5.
Old 01-02-2006   #12
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Lots of teams have first round busts. He has none for the Texans, so he's actually ahead of the curve.

And Casserly has brought in some really good choices in rounds 2-5.
We will continue to disagree. Rd 1 he has done well but I think his draft picks, for the Texans needs, was horrible in Rds 2-5. People confuse getting DD or a Wells with success. DD is good but Wells is a backup. They needed O-line. All of the DBs they picked would be backups on most teams IMO. Same with Ragone. Pitts has been up and down. The #1 pick of the second round their first year was Gafney. He is a 2nd or 3rd receiver at best. WE needed O-Line..not backups at other positions!!People confuse guys that can start for this horrible team and guys who can take you to the playoffs. Look at his record of picks in Washington. He is bad.
Old 01-02-2006   #13
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog
Frog you just don't get it. Casserly has been picking who the COACHING STAFF wanted not necessarily who he wanted. Listen to McNair once again. You don't pick people who your coaching staff don't want. The coaches along with the Scouting staff evaluated who they wanted and then presented that to Casserly. Casserly then proceeded to do the best he could to get that person. That includes PBUC who the coaches wanted so badly. That includes Greenwood who the coaches wanted so badly. McNair's organization has been set up utilizing a decentalized form of management. The Coaches have had a great deal of say in who has been picked and it has not been questioned a whole lot.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006   #14
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleRedTexan
Until recently, I had been fairly certain that the Texans will make the right decison and draft Reggie Bush.

But lately, a lot of my co-workers have been saying: "The Texans will screw it up just like the Oilers used to." .

I'd suggest giving your co-workers a little Oilers draft history lesson. With first round picks over the years that included Eddie George, Steve McNair, Brad Hopkins, Lamar Lathon, David Williams, Lorenzo White, Alonzo Highsmith, Ray Childress, Dean Steinkuhler, Bruce Mathews, Mike Munchak, Earl Campbell, and Robert Brazile, I'd say they have done pretty well.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006   #15
bigbag12
Rookie

5 bush's and carr on the field still wont make one bit of diffenrce until we get some O linemen. with no O line brought in even with bush we will sucks for yrs to come IMO.
bigbag12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006   #16
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibar_Harry
Frog you just don't get it. Casserly has been picking who the COACHING STAFF wanted not necessarily who he wanted. Listen to McNair once again. You don't pick people who your coaching staff don't want. The coaches along with the Scouting staff evaluated who they wanted and then presented that to Casserly. Casserly then proceeded to do the best he could to get that person. That includes PBUC who the coaches wanted so badly. That includes Greenwood who the coaches wanted so badly. McNair's organization has been set up utilizing a decentalized form of management. The Coaches have had a great deal of say in who has been picked and it has not been questioned a whole lot.
No I do get it and it is sad!!!That is such a company line cop out. If they had kept Capers and not Casserly, the company line would have been that they didn't have the players to fit the coach. People listen to these things and take them as word. What are the supposed to say..."he is horrible too but we have a new plan." McCain, in the paper, has been talking about Casserlys new plan. Should this not have been in place since Day 1?A GMS job title is "personnel decisions." It is weakness if all the decisions are what the coach wants. If that was supposed to be the case then Capers would have been GM/coach. He still is the one presenting the trades, picks, etc and it is in his job title. The way you guys are saying it, he just sat there and did nothing for 4 years. That makes it even worse and doesn't show too well on his leadership or talent as an evaluator. The same complaints were lobbed against him in Washington.

Last edited by HoustonFrog; 01-02-2006 at 05:42 PM.
Old 01-02-2006   #17
bubbajaxonbrown
Rookie

Quote:
I disagree. I think spending a 1st rounder (#27) on Babin was a mistake. We could have traded the pick for a free agent LB, DL, or WR. Teams would have jumped on a 1st round. If not trade then at least pick up Michael Jenkins from Ohio State who went on the next pick to the Falcons. He would have solved that 2nd WR problem we have. He's tall and fast and would have killed with the double-teams AJ gets.

I have friends who still believe in Babin but I would have rather had Lehman (OU), Karlos Dansby (Auburn), or Dontarrious Thomas (Auburn) who all went after pick #27 in the early 2nd round. It seems like CC is always trying to prove he knows more than every other talent scout. I like the rest of his #1 picks but the Babin pick kills me every time I see Babin rush the passer unsuccessfully (every play he is in).
bubbajaxonbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006   #18
bigtex77
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
I'd suggest giving your co-workers a little Oilers draft history lesson. With first round picks over the years that included Eddie George, Steve McNair, Brad Hopkins, Lamar Lathon, David Williams, Lorenzo White, Alonzo Highsmith, Ray Childress, Dean Steinkuhler, Bruce Mathews, Mike Munchak, Earl Campbell, and Robert Brazile, I'd say they have done pretty well.
It doesn't matter what else the Oilers did, because of the fact that they never won a Super Bowl some people in this town will always criticize everything about them.
Old 01-02-2006   #19
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbajaxonbrown
I disagree. I think spending a 1st rounder (#27) on Babin was a mistake. We could have traded the pick for a free agent LB, DL, or WR. Teams would have jumped on a 1st round. If not trade then at least pick up Michael Jenkins from Ohio State who went on the next pick to the Falcons. He would have solved that 2nd WR problem we have. He's tall and fast and would have killed with the double-teams AJ gets.

I have friends who still believe in Babin but I would have rather had Lehman (OU), Karlos Dansby (Auburn), or Dontarrious Thomas (Auburn) who all went after pick #27 in the early 2nd round. It seems like CC is always trying to prove he knows more than every other talent scout. I like the rest of his #1 picks but the Babin pick kills me every time I see Babin rush the passer unsuccessfully (every play he is in).
Babin came off the bench and back from injury looking much improved, recording 2 sacks last week.

It's been very hard for me to evaluate players this season because I thought the players weren't being coached properly and the schemes chosen weren't highlighting their strengths. So I'm looking forward to what light the new HC will shed on Casserly's choices.
Old 01-02-2006   #20
Ryan71780
Rookie

Default Casserly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibar_Harry
Casserly is the GM and is one of the primary people responsible for personnel decisions. Wether it was the coaches ideas to make the bad moves or not, Casserly should not allow it if it is a bad move. Two years in a row, the team gave up way too much for players who aren't even starters(2n & 3rd rounder for Buchanon and 2nd, 3rd &4th rounder for Babin.) They have let the wrong people go(Glenn and Sharper), overpayed free agents(Greenwood & Wade), and made bad 2-5 round picks(Gafney, Joppru, Wand, Hollings, etc.) Some of that blame has to be placed on casserly, if not most of it. The personnel decisions, not the coaching and playcalling, are why the team went from 7-9 to 2-14 with not a whole lot to look forward to next year except Reggie Bush.
Ryan71780 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read