Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-02-2006   #1
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Tulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVP
Default Let's Talk About Dan Reeves's Failures As A Talent Evaluator

This board thinks, by a 4-to-1 ratio, that keeping Casserly is a mistake.

In our discussions since the rumors broke, we've been missing a major component in this story - Dan Reeves.

Dan Reeves, annointed as the Texans' savior a mere three weeks ago, has made a huge error in his assessment of the franchise, hasn't he?

Theories on what happened?
Tulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006   #2
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulip

In our discussions since the rumors broke, we've been missing a major component in this story - Dan Reeves.

Dan Reeves, annointed as the Texans' savior a mere three weeks ago, has made a huge error in his assessment of the franchise, hasn't he?

I never liked the Reeves move and don't trust him as a coach or GM. I just wanted Charlie and Dom gone.
HoustonFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006   #3
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Was Reeves brought here to evaluate Casserly as well as the talent on the field?
Old 01-02-2006   #4
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Tulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan279
Was Reeves brought here to evaluate Casserly as well as the talent on the field?
What's the difference?
Old 01-02-2006   #5
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

my first question would be does Reeves have any interest in becoming the Houston Texans head coach? the owner trusts him and he has agreed with Casserly
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006   #6
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover
my first question would be does Reeves have any interest in becoming the Houston Texans head coach? the owner trusts him and he has agreed with Casserly
I heard it again this morning as well as last week on ESPN that Reeves wants to be our next head coach but McNair doesn't want it to happen.
Old 01-02-2006   #7
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan279
Well what's your question? What is this huge error of Reeve's you are talking about? If Reeves was only brought in to evaluate the player's talent you can't blame Reeves for Casserly staying if this is what you are trying to say.
My question is that what's the difference between evaluating the personnel and evaluating Casserly as the selector of that personnel? You can't separate the talent from the GM.

The reports are that Reeves's report to McNair is why McNair is keeping Casserly.

So what did Reeves miss?
Sponsored links
Old 01-02-2006   #8
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 118533 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
My question is that what's the difference between evaluating the personnel and evaluating Casserly as the selector of that personnel? You can't separate the talent from the GM.

The reports are that Reeves's report to McNair is why McNair is keeping Casserly.

So what did Reeves miss?
What if Reeves' conclusion was that our talent is just fine, but being mis-utilized by our coaching? If you TRUST Reeves, and he told you that, you do what's happening right now...Fire the coach, keep the GM.
disaacks3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006   #9
texan279
Hall of Fame

Quote:

So what did Reeves miss?
OK, I understand your question now. It might not be what he missed at all, it might be what a lot of us have ben saying all along, that our biggest problem is our coaching. I am not saying we weill be playoff bound next season with a new coach, but I think we are definitely better than a 2-14 team. We know we have talent in AJ, DRob, DD, and others. I definitely think our O line needs a serious overhaul, but other than that, I think if we bring in the right coach and staff to utilize the talent we do have and have a good draft we could easily get to .500 next season.
Old 01-02-2006   #10
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

So what did Reeves miss?
Good point. I don't think has done a bang up job anywhere he has gone and in my book he is has worn out his welcome wherever he has been. I think him evaluating Casserly is like Leaf evaluating Carr.
Old 01-02-2006   #11
Playmaker
Veteran

Rep Power: 244 Playmaker is a quality contributor and well respectedPlaymaker is a quality contributor and well respectedPlaymaker is a quality contributor and well respectedPlaymaker is a quality contributor and well respectedPlaymaker is a quality contributor and well respectedPlaymaker is a quality contributor and well respectedPlaymaker is a quality contributor and well respectedPlaymaker is a quality contributor and well respectedPlaymaker is a quality contributor and well respectedPlaymaker is a quality contributor and well respectedPlaymaker is a quality contributor and well respected

If Reeves was really looking out for himself he would have told Bob the talent stinks here which would have inked Cass outta here and cleared the way for him to become head coach as Cass wouldn't be around to suggest other head coaching possibilites. But I guess that would have been too transparent and Reeves is trying to get the head coach job the legit way.

My question on some players still remain...is Babin really a top flight LB...is Chester Pitts a starter quality OL...Todd Wade?...Mark Bruener?...Tony Hollings?...
Playmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006   #12
dat_boy_yec
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 dat_boy_yec is on the Pro-Bowl ballotdat_boy_yec is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3
What if Reeves' conclusion was that our talent is just fine, but being mis-utilized by our coaching? If you TRUST Reeves, and he told you that, you do what's happening right now...Fire the coach, keep the GM.
That really makes sense. You see players underachieving on the team players you know can be great. Like A.J. who has proven he has the talent, but this year it just hasn't been utilized. I think they're doing the right thing, bring in a new coach and see what we really have. Maybe I'm being overly optimistic, but I see a great deal of improvement from the players we have right now. With whatever talent we add in the offseason I think this franchise will start moving in a much more positive direction.
dat_boy_yec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006   #13
houstonhurricane
All Pro

Rep Power: 938 houstonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respected

If the goal of this team is to get to a winning record in the next couple of years, then the talent is fine. However, if they are serious about making a playoff run, Casserly should have been sacked for his past decisions that put us where we are at - below average at best.
houstonhurricane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006   #14
rockabilly
Veteran

Rep Power: 432 rockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respected

Reeves has more NFL smarts than any of us. And if he saw that the talent isnt the problem (via casserly), then his opinion is BETTER than any of ours.

Alot of our problems CAN just be coaching. If they are not put in a postion to be good...they cant be.

Dont get me wrong, I do not support Casserly one bit. But...I realize that I am not a football expert (although I think I am)and that Reeves or anyone else in the organization knows more.
rockabilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006   #15
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonhurricane
If the goal of this team is to get to a winning record in the next couple of years, then the talent is fine. However, if they are serious about making a playoff run, Casserly should have been sacked for his past decisions that put us where we are at - below average at best.
I'm not claiming to be an expert but I am with you on this one. When I watch a Colts v Pats game and then watch a Texans game it is like watching top of the line football v. Pop Warner. The talent levels aren't even close and I think most of our players would be backups or on the bench on most top tier teams.
Old 01-02-2006   #16
barzilla
Veteran

One of the other possibilities is that Reeves discovered that the coaching staff spearheaded many of the moves that are now questioned. We didn't sit in the war room on draft day. We didn't sit in the office when these guys talked about free agent signings and trades. As much as I believe Casserly is just as culpable, I think the safe thing is to keep him and let him prove one way or the other who was responsible. Besides, McNair has already said he's going to have him on a tighter leash.
barzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006   #17
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 31690 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog
I'm not claiming to be an expert but I am with you on this one. When I watch a Colts v Pats game and then watch a Texans game it is like watching top of the line football v. Pop Warner. The talent levels aren't even close and I think most of our players would be backups or on the bench on most top tier teams.
This will be a never ending debate. I watch the same game and see that the coaches have put in schemes on both sides of the ball to take advantage of both their players' strengths and the other team's weaknesses. I see such poor coaching for the Texans that I think the team will be much better just given the addition of competent coaching.
Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006   #18
Ranger
Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Ranger Send a message via Yahoo to Ranger

I think when Reeves came here, his eyes widen a little bit and he saw just how close this football team really is from competing with the big guys. He saw the poor coaching and how the players are not showing their potentional with the schemes that Capers and his staff where giving our team. Reeves thought with a little tutoring, a couple of new schemes, and himself as his head coach he could bring this team to the promised land.

You think about all the potential this team and the players have, and who wouldn't want to be head coach. I think you bring in some coaches who will teach our players how to tackle, block, and cover people and we are going to be one hell of a football team. Its just getting the right coaching and schemes. And Reeves thought he could handle that part.
Old 01-02-2006   #19
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly
Reeves has more NFL smarts than any of us. And if he saw that the talent isnt the problem (via casserly), then his opinion is BETTER than any of ours.
Bingo !
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006   #20
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21867 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected

So, now it's Reeves turn to be bashed. Who/What's next, the jock straps?

The Texans Bull Rush
Welcome to "Sack City, USA"!
Hottoddie is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read