Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-02-2006   #1
jacquescas
Hall of Fame

Default Packers fire Mike Sherman... he an option?

We should hire Mike Sherman as the head coach he was good in green bay before injuries destroyed him this year. I think Martz or Billick would be a good fit in Green Bay
jacquescas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006   #2
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

What have the Packers done since Holmgren left?
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006   #3
Harrisment
Rookie

Yes, lets keep recycling these NFL coaches that have mediocre track records. I never have understood the reasoning behind that.
Harrisment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006   #4
Snapple
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrisment
Yes, lets keep recycling these NFL coaches that have mediocre track records. I never have understood the reasoning behind that.
I agree. We're trying to become a good team. Why would we want to get someone else's failure? Our standards aren't THAT low yet.
Snapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006   #5
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13829 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan
What have the Packers done since Holmgren left?
Since Sherman has taken over, the Packers have gone 59-43, won 3 straight NFC North titles, four straight playoff appearances, five straight winning seasons. Sherman had 5 wimming seasons out of six total. The guy has one losing season after all of the problems with injuries the Pack had this season and they unload him. Unreal.
Old 01-02-2006   #6
Jagsbch
Veteran

Rep Power: 47 Jagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respected

Name a better candidate than Sherman.
Jagsbch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006   #7
Texans86
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagsbch
Name a better candidate than Sherman.
G Kubiak
W Phillips
J Johnson
K Ferentz

Those are four off the top of my head. Guys going up instead of on their way down. Minus Johnson, he's proven.
Old 01-02-2006   #8
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13829 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans86
G Kubiak
W Phillips
J Johnson
K Ferentz

Those are four off the top of my head. Guys going up instead of on their way down. Minus Johnson, he's proven.
Are you kidding? I want Kubiak as our next head coach more than anyone, but none of these guys have done what Sherman has done as a head coach on the NFL level except for Jimmy Johnson and he is not coming back to caoch in the NFL. Two of those guys don't even have experience as an NFL head coach.
Old 01-02-2006   #9
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan279
Are you kidding? I want Kubiak as our next head coach more than anyone, but none of these guys have done what Sherman has done as a head coach on the NFL level except for Jimmy Johnson and he is not coming back to caoch in the NFL. Two of those guys don't even have experience as an NFL head coach.
True, but for the past few years the NFC North has been relatively weak and Brett Favre was his quarterback.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006   #10
texan279
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan
True, but for the past few years the NFC North has been relatively weak and Brett Favre was his quarterback.
Favre was the QB this season as well and was 3rd in passing yards in the NFL and they still finished 4-12. They were riddled with injuries all season long sometimes have to start guys off the practice squad and NFLE types and they still finished with 2 more wins than we did.
Old 01-02-2006   #11
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27427 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Favre was the QB this season as well and was 3rd in passing yards in the NFL and they still finished 4-12. They were riddled with injuries all season long sometimes have to start guys off the practice squad and NFLE types and they still finished with 2 more wins than we did.
Not to mention, they lost their starting guards (Wahle & Rivera) to free agency, their leading rusher the previous 5 years (Ahman Green) to injury, & their starting TE (Bubba Franks), who missed all of training camp & started only 8 games due to various injuries. I'd say that could disrupt just about any Franchises season.

I say we at least give him a look-see.

The Texans Bull Rush
Welcome to "Sack City, USA"!
Hottoddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006   #12
How 'Bout Them Texans???
Rookie

i agree, obviously if green bay let him go, he must not be all that great, we dont need someone else's trash, there's a reason why they got rid of him.
How 'Bout Them Texans??? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006   #13
texan279
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by How 'Bout Them Texans???
i agree, obviously if green bay let him go, he must not be all that great, we dont need someone else's trash, there's a reason why they got rid of him.
I hope this is sarcasm...
Old 01-02-2006   #14
Snapple
Veteran

The Packers did "okay" because of the talent that they had, not because of Sherman. They got to the playoffs with talent, and then they promptly lose in the playoffs every year because of coaching. He was fired for a reason. Sherman is a soft coach, softer than a baby's butt.
Old 01-02-2006   #15
afcman
Veteran

I think the Packers made a mistake to fire Sherman. He had what.....one bad season in the last five? Not that I want him for the Texans. I don't know who will get the job done here. I know I don't want any of the coaches that just got fired.

I feel different with Capers because I think he lost the respect from the players. That's what I kept seeing on the sidelines.
afcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006   #16
texan279
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapple
The Packers did "okay" because of the talent that they had, not because of Sherman. They got to the playoffs with talent, and then they promptly lose in the playoffs every year because of coaching. He was fired for a reason. Sherman is a soft coach, softer than a baby's butt.
So you're saying the players got them to the playoffs, and the coach lost it in the playoffs?
Old 01-02-2006   #17
Jagsbch
Veteran

Rep Power: 47 Jagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by How 'Bout Them Texans???
I think there was static between ownership that allowed the fall out.
Jagsbch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006   #18
Snapple
Veteran

Quote:
So you're saying the players got them to the playoffs, and the coach lost it in the playoffs?
I'm saying they were good enough to get to the playoffs, but not good enough to ever go anywhere in the playoffs. Their primary reason they even did as well as they did is because of talent. Coaching was holding them back, and that's why Sherman was on the hot seat before this season even began. The Packers know that injuries hurt them this year, but that's not the only problem the organization had. Heck, they probably wouldn't have even made the playoffs last year if they were in the AFC.

I don't aspire for the Texans to at their best be a first-round exit in the playoffs. I want them to win a Superbowl, and I don't think Sherman is good enough to lead a Superbowl-winning team.
Old 01-02-2006   #19
texan279
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapple
I'm saying they were good enough to get to the playoffs, but not good enough to ever go anywhere in the playoffs. Their primary reason they even did as well as they did is because of talent. Coaching was holding them back, and that's why Sherman was on the hot seat before this season even began. The Packers know that injuries hurt them this year, but that's not the only problem the organization had. Heck, they probably wouldn't have even made the playoffs last year if they were in the AFC.

I don't aspire for the Texans to at their best be a first-round exit in the playoffs. I want them to win a Superbowl, and I don't think Sherman is good enough to lead a Superbowl-winning team.
If the coaching held them back in the playoffs, I would think the coaching would hold them back from getting to the playoffs...
Old 01-02-2006   #20
Big B Texan Fan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Big B Texan Fan has been demoted to the practice squad

Quote:
Since Sherman has taken over, the Packers have gone 59-43, won 3 straight NFC North titles, four straight playoff appearances, five straight winning seasons. Sherman had 5 wimming seasons out of six total. The guy has one losing season after all of the problems with injuries the Pack had this season and they unload him. Unreal.
This is gonna sound dumb but, getting rid of Sherman probably assures the Pack organization that Favre will retire. Then they can start a new era.

I'm not saying that they are afraid of releasing Favre or firing Sherman, but the poor season made it easy to fire Sherman. And I believe Favre already made a comment about wanting Sherman back. Besides, he (Favre) is not gonna want to start over witha new coach.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read