Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Richard Justice on keeping Casserly

Marcus

Windmill cancer survivor
Contributor's Club
According to Justice in today's Chronicle editorial, apparently Casserly thought he was going to be fired when McNair hired Reeves. But Reeves ended up saving Casserly's job.
"I don't think we're that many players away from being a contender," Texans owner Bob McNair said.

That opinion apparently is shared by Dan Reeves, who was hired as a consultant several weeks ago. And that's why general manager Charley Casserly is being retained.

Keeping Casserly won't be popular, but it's absolutely the right move. His personnel record is worse than it appears because he trusted his coaches too often. Inside the organization, he forecast some of this season's problems. His mistake was allowing Capers to do things his way.

"We're better than our record," Casserly said. "We've got a talent base. I want to see this thing through."

Casserly was surprised when Reeves was summoned to evaluate the football operation. He believed Reeves may have been brought in to replace him. In the end, Reeves may have saved his job.

Reeves could be hired as head coach, but McNair likely will interview University of Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz and an assortment of NFL assistants, including Miami's Scott Line-han and Denver's Gary Kubiak.

Keeping Casserly won't be popular, but it's absolutely the right move. His personnel record is worse than it appears because he trusted his coaches too often. Inside the organization, he forecast some of this season's problems. His mistake was allowing Capers to do things his way.

let the finger pointing...... BEGIN!

Inside the organization, he (Casserly) forecast some of this season's problems

So he told McNair "I told you so" just to cover his own butt? He's the GM and the one responsible for preventing those problems not forecasting them.

"We're better than our record," Casserly said. "We've got a talent base.

Of course, it's the coaches fault.

I want to see this thing through."

Of course you do.

Casserly is a joke. How in the heck can anyone watch this team and think that the talent level is anywhere close to where we should be with the number of high draft picks and FA's we have on our roster? IMO - this was a very poor decision by this franchise.

El Tejano said:
Who is Kirk Ferentz?

In my humble opinion, the perfect man for the job as the next HC of the Texans.

Kirk Ferentz
There is nothing to dislike about Ferentz.

About to finish his seventh season at Iowa, Ferentz has led the Hawkeyes to the best four-year stretch in their history with a 38-11 record. He has NFL experience, having spent six years with the Cleveland Browns/Ravens franchise. That included a stint as the Ravens' assistant head coach/offense from 1996 to 1998, which was the last time the Ravens had a real offense.

Ferentz knows about discipline because he learned under New England coach Bill Belichick. He was on Belichick's Cleveland staff that included three future general managers - Scott Pioli (Patriots), Ozzie Newsome (Ravens) and Phil Savage (Cleveland) - and future head coaches Nick Saban (Miami Dolphins) and Pat Hill (Fresno State).

With Ferentz, there's a lot of substance, very little flash.
His main focus is on the development of the offensive line. His son is an offensive lineman.

Marcus said:
His main focus is on the development of the offensive line. His son is an offensive lineman.
His Son graduates this year also. This may be the perfect time for him to leave as he is finished coaching his kid.

Maybe I'm just giddy about being right

Old 2 Weeks Ago
Tulip
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuppacoffee
"I am probably in the minority here but I believe the biggest problem is not our players but our coaching. Cass has managed to get at least average NFL quality players in here, they are receiving less than average NFL coaching."

I agree, and I think this is why Casserly shouldn't be as upset about Reeves as he is. Reeves could save Casserly's job in the end. I think McNair wants to avoid unnecessary firings, and to do that, he has to find the true root of the problem.
(http://www.houstontexans.com/fan_zone/messageboards/showthread.php?p=223115#post223115)

but I really think this is the right move.

houstonhurricane said:
Casserly is a joke. How in the heck can anyone watch this team and think that the talent level is anywhere close to where we should be with the number of high draft picks and FA's we have on our roster? IMO - this was a very poor decision by this franchise.

Well, who watched the team in 2004 and thought this team had the lack of talent to go 2-14 this season.

Like I said in another post, Babin was a result of Casserly securing his coaches guy. Glenn and certainly Sharper were decisions that Capers was supportive of. The GM and coach must work together. Obviously this combination was a failure. That doesn't neccessarily mean the next coach/GM relationship involving Casserly will also fail.

The funny thing is that Justice has been writing about how Casserly should stay for weeks now. In fact that is why I wrote the Chronicle and got my letter in the paper. Justice basically was kissing his tail like a homer. If people think they are close after watching this year then they deserve to have a bad franchise. That team was a mess and the talent was Pop Warner compared to the top teams out there.

HoustonFrog said:
The funny thing is that Justice has been writing about how Casserly should stay for weeks now. In fact that is why I wrote the Chronicle and got my letter in the paper. Justice basically was kissing his tail like a homer. If people think they are close after watching this year then they deserve to have a bad franchise. That team was a mess and the talent was Pop Warner compared to the top teams out there.

I've been saying that Casserly should stay for weeks now, too, and I don't have a reason to kiss Casserly's tail.

Obviously Justice has no different opinion than John McClain about Casserly. And they both have the same opinion as Dan Reeves, apparently.

The Texans seem to have some talented players who are just now seeing playing time. It took far too long to get Peek on the field and why did we hear about how good Orr did in practice but rarely saw him on the field until this year? IMO Capers was stuck on name recognition or juts stuck on stupid. It's an old axiom that ya play like ya practice. If certain players are tearing it up in practice, it makes sense to give them a shot on gameday. I think we have some decent talent on the team...just not the guys we always saw on the field the majority of the time. I just want to see us get a stud RB who caan play 15-16 games a season and some stud OLmen that can keep Carr upright on a scale closer to Peyton Manning rather than looking like a junk car at a monster truck show.

Tulip said:
I've been saying that Casserly should stay for weeks now, too, and I don't have a reason to kiss Casserly's tail.

Obviously Justice has no different opinion than John McClain about Casserly. And they both have the same opinion as Dan Reeves, apparently.

Well that is why we all have different opinions. The fact remains that Casserly drove the Redskins into the ground and was let go. He had ONE good year and that is when Bobby Bethard and Gibbs made the picks for him. He has done the same thing here. He has no track record of being successful.

HoustonFrog said:
Well that is why we all have different opinions. The fact remains that Casserly drove the Redskins into the ground and was let go. He had ONE good year and that is when Bobby Bethard and Gibbs made the picks for him. He has done the same thing here. He has no track record of being successful.

My point was that you were insinuating that you were saying Justice had that opinion was because he was brown-nosing. And I just had to point out that he had backup in that opinion, from people who could possibly have no agenda whatsoever.

Tulip said:
My point was that you were insinuating that you were saying Justice had that opinion was because he was brown-nosing. And I just had to point out that he had backup in that opinion, from people who could possibly have no agenda whatsoever.

You are right. My bad. I think it comes down to choices too.

I certainly do think our talent is better than 2-14, but you have to be kidding yourself if you think we are anywhere near playoff caliber. As for Babin, his first half sack frenzy yesterday doesn't equate to a worthwhile pickup...yet. And if you are going to try to blame that particular pickup, and any other draft picks/FA's, on Capers, then you don't truly understand the structure of an NFL team. Casserly oversees the scouting department and is the FINAL SAY in all picks - both free agent and draft. He is responsible for the good and the bad moves this team has made and I am sad to report that most have been for the worse. He is another of the ills infecting this franchise and should have lost his job this morning.

HoustonFrog said:
You and me both. I took a "shot across the bow" at him in his Blog and he held to the line that the ONLY BUST that Casserly has made in the free agent market is P-Buch!

Justice goes back quite a few years with Casserly and I think he's used to "taking Casserly's word for it" a bit too much. Call it insider loyalty or whatever, but it's DEFINITELY clouded Justice's outlook on the whole situation.

disaacks3 said:
You and me both. I took a "shot across the bow" at him in his Blog and he held to the line that the ONLY BUST that Casserly has made in the free agent market is P-Buch!

Justice goes back quite a few years with Casserly and I think he's used to "taking Casserly's word for it" a bit too much. Call it insider loyalty or whatever, but it's DEFINITELY clouded Justice's outlook on the whole situation.

EVERY article he wrote the past month included a quick blurb about keeping Casserly. In fact my letter that was posted in the paper mentioned that he must be on the payroll. It was his main goal to keep the guy. I even wrote him personally and he only wrote back that if we got rid of him, who would we bring in?Anyone but Casserly in my book.

HoustonFrog said:

from a 1999 article by pro football weekly:
And, of course, there was the masterful drafting in April. Casserly worked the phones, worked out some deals, and now this franchise is set to be a contender for a long time to come. Not only did he get the player the teamed wanted, CB Champ Bailey, but Casserly stockpiled future picks while dealing with New Orleans and Chicago. The end result is that Washington has three first-round picks in 2000. The team also came out of the 1999 draft with second-round pick Jon Jansen, who is starting at right tackle.

aj. said:
Here's an old c. 2002 Justice article on Casserly. One of the first, if not the first column he wrote about CC after arriving here. Lot's of relevant stuff, four years later.

http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/archive.mpl?id=2002_3538038

WOW..Identical. His best picks were backs in the midrounds and he blew a bunch of high profile picks, getting coaches fired along the way. It isn't the must flattering piece IMHO. It seems to me he gets puched around and can't make sound decisions. His best years were with Bethard and Gibbs helping him.

HoustonFrog said:
WOW..Identical. His best picks were backs in the midrounds and he blew a bunch of high profile picks, getting coaches fired along the way. It isn't the must flattering piece IMHO. It seems to me he gets puched around and can't make sound decisions. His best years were with Bethard and Gibbs helping him.

Except that he had first round busts at Washington. So far, he has no first round busts here.

aj. said:
Here's an old c. 2002 Justice article on Casserly. One of the first, if not the first column he wrote about CC after arriving here. Lot's of relevant stuff, four years later.

http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/archive.mpl?id=2002_3538038
The most "telling" part of the piece is that he takes credit for his BEST picks, while the WORST picks get accompanied by quotes like these:

"Casserly favored Trent Dilfer, and his mistake was allowing
his head coach to get the guy he wanted."

"Casserly had Joey Galloway rated higher, but Redskins coach
Norv Turner preferred Westbrook. Casserly should have stood
firm with the player he had rated higher - Galloway."

Some excuses are so convenient that you keep using them over and over... :challenge

dirty steve said:
from a 1999 article by pro football weekly:
And, of course, there was the masterful drafting in April. Casserly worked the phones, worked out some deals, and now this franchise is set to be a contender for a long time to come. Not only did he get the player the teamed wanted, CB Champ Bailey, but Casserly stockpiled future picks while dealing with New Orleans and Chicago. The end result is that Washington has three first-round picks in 2000. The team also came out of the 1999 draft with second-round pick Jon Jansen, who is starting at right tackle.

Read this. Casserly did more harm in Washington than anything and was run out of town. Google "Bethard Casserly" and you will find volumes on who the people of Washington thought did all the grunt work and what Casserly did.

http://www.houstonprofootball.com/slant/slant58.html

Funny thing is his worst pick is Andre Johnson and his best one is Andre Johnson (different ones).

I have been pimping Kirk Ferenz for a while now. I think he would be great here. That said, there are a lot of good coaches out there right now. We need to get started quick with the interviews and nail somebody down before the top tier coaches get hired. Ferenz, Sherman, Kubiak.

Back