Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-02-2006   #1
Nighthawk
All Pro

Default Is Bush our Earl?

Let's assume he comes out. I've seen him, he's fabulous. What I don't know is whether he can carry an NFL team the way Earl Campbell did. How about some of you guys who know this stuff backwards and forwards talk about that. My worry is injury, Bush just looks like a guy who might get injured. Earl did all the injuring, the way I remember it.
Nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006   #2
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2271 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

if we get him.. he will probably be alot more effective if we either keep DD around and have him split carries.. or.. if we go for an offense that features more passing, so that he doesnt have to be a workhorse.

Dunno though..maybe he will surprise everyone and turn out to be very durable.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006   #3
Johnny Utah
All Pro

They should make Morency give up his number to give to him.
Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006   #4
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2271 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Im betting he will take 25 or 35
Old 01-02-2006   #5
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 77974 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Tiki Barber looks to me like a guy who would get injured, but he's a rock...
Maybe Bush will be the same.

Or maybe not.

There are plenty of guys who look like they won't be injury concerns, but are.
You just never know, I guess.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006   #6
berkman17
Rookie

if we keep dd and reggie around, we can have them each get about 15 carries with bush getting about 10 plays lined up as a receiver (ie, slot) or motioning to the outside.

imagine someone like PBuc (as an example of a nickel back) trying to cover bush ... hilarious.

now imagine PBuc trying to tackle bush in the open field ... i'm drooling just thinking about it.
berkman17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006   #7
bubbajaxonbrown
Rookie

They show the interview with LT on ESPN every 5 minutes between bowl games as he talks about Bush working out with him this summer and how good Bush's work ethic is. If the segment has any truth to it, he should be as dependable as any rookie RB.
bubbajaxonbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-02-2006   #8
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 77974 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by berkman17

imagine someone like PBuc (as an example of a nickel back) trying to cover bush ... hilarious.

I get your point, but it's hilarious imagining PBuch trying to cover ANYONE
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006   #9
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 143 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk
Let's assume he comes out. I've seen him, he's fabulous. What I don't know is whether he can carry an NFL team the way Earl Campbell did. How about some of you guys who know this stuff backwards and forwards talk about that. My worry is injury, Bush just looks like a guy who might get injured. Earl did all the injuring, the way I remember it.
I just don't see how anything about Bush makes you think he looks like a guy that might get injured other than playing football. This is the NFL, virtually every player who plays the game gets injured during their career, Even AJ got his this year.
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006   #10
Grid
Hall of Fame

Its different for RBs.. durability is alot more important.

They arent being tackled 5-10 times a game by a 200lb CB.. they are being tackled 30+ times a game by 3 or 4 300+lb Dlinemen.. or 200+ lb LBs.
Old 01-02-2006   #11
bigtex77
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcoolguy
I just don't see how anything about Bush makes you think he looks like a guy that might get injured other than playing football. This is the NFL, virtually every player who plays the game gets injured during their career, Even AJ got his this year.
Some of the so called experts have said that he's too small to be a 25 carry a game back, which to some people = injury prone.
Old 01-02-2006   #12
bigtex77
Veteran

Sorry Grid, you type faster than me.
Old 01-02-2006   #13
Grid
Hall of Fame

Hes the same size as Tiki Barber... little bit taller.. and Tiki Barber carries the ball just as much as DD does.. and doesnt get injured (much).

THat doesnt mean that Bush will be just as durable.. just saying.. Bush's size doesnt necessarily mean that he wont be a durable RB. Course.. id say that a 200LB guy has more chance of being "fragile" than a 225LB guy.
Old 01-02-2006   #14
bigtex77
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid
Hes the same size as Tiki Barber... little bit taller.. and Tiki Barber carries the ball just as much as DD does.. and doesnt get injured (much).

THat doesnt mean that Bush will be just as durable.. just saying.. Bush's size doesnt necessarily mean that he wont be a durable RB. Course.. id say that a 200LB guy has more chance of being "fragile" than a 225LB guy.
Do you think Bush will put on enough weight once he's in the league to help out with the possible lack of durability? Not sure if I worded that properly.
Old 01-02-2006   #15
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 711 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ledzeppelin229

The thing is..the coach would be an ***** to use him as a 225 lb RB. There's a reason people don't go offroading in Ferraris. Split him out, force them to keep an extra DB focused on our backfield and the matchup potential is unbelievable. Getting out of nickel would be pretty risky.
ledzeppelin229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006   #16
Grid
Hall of Fame

I wouldnt count on it BigTex.. there is a reason why Bush has done so well.. its because of his speed and elusiveness.. if he puts on too much weight it would completely change the way he would have to run the ball. I wouldnt be surprised to see him put on 5 pounds or so.. but more than that could be risky.

Led, Bush needs to fit in our system. If he is as good as advertised, sure..we can change the system some for him.. but we cant make a drastic change. Well, i take that back.. if our next OC wants to run an offense like the Eagles or Colts... then sure.. but if we run something remotely similar to what we have been running, Bush is either going to have to take more carries, or he will have to split carries with DD. If he splits carries with DD.. that is many millions of dollars in our backfield.. and I dont think we could afford to do that for too long. So either Bush needs to be durable enough to play how we need him to, or we have to change the whole offense around to suit him. Changing the whole offense around could be an expensive and very long and drawn out affair.. so im hoping he will be durable enough.

Of course.. with the zone blocking scheme.. it may not be a big problem to let DD go eventually (much as I would hate that) and use some other cheaper back to share carries. He may not be as good as DD but as long as he keeps the defense honest I imagine it would work out fine.

We also need an OC who is perceptive enough to see that we need to share carries between backs, and willing to do that. Some coaches seem to be totally against the whole running back by comittee thing.. our coaches apparently were.. so.. our choice of OC and HC is very important to the future of Bush on this team.
Old 01-02-2006   #17
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtex77
Some of the so called experts have said that he's too small to be a 25 carry a game back, which to some people = injury prone.

How many 25 carry a game backs have their been in the history of the NFL?
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006   #18
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7857 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Bush will HELP turn the franchise around but not the way Earl did. This team has talent. It was just never used right. Bush will have the benefit of a RB that is already producing in the NFL splitting carries with him. Like someone said earlier, he will see alot of action at WR too to make sure he is on the field. I think Bush will be more like the kid from Philly, RB but catches alot of passes.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006   #19
chuckm
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 chuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid
Im betting he will take 25 or 35

... 5 in high school, 5 in college , .... I'm guessing he'll go with ... yep ... 5
Old 01-02-2006   #20
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckm
... 5 in high school, 5 in college , .... I'm guessing he'll go with ... yep ... 5
Running backs can't wear single digit numbers. I believe, but am not sure that they have to wear a number between 20-39
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read