Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-01-2006   #1
bigtex77
Veteran

Default Why Can't We?

Why do most people think we cannot pick Reggie Bush and still continue to fill holes in other ways? Even the play-by-play and color guy on the broadcast of the game said that we should trade down for more picks. People act like we only get one pick in the draft and are banned from signing free-agents just we are picking #1 overall. Am I the only person who feels like this?
Old 01-01-2006   #2
BattleRedGuy
Rookie

Agreed. We have four of the first 66 picks and all of these guys should be able to step in from day one.
BattleRedGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006   #3
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

in only the most extremely rare cases do all of a teams first day draft picks become full time contributors to the team... especially in their first season. So dont expect 4 quality starters from our first 4 picks.

and yes.. we CAN take Bush (and probably will) and still fill roles in other ways.. the reason that people say we should trade down is because this #1 pick is gonna be worth ALOT this year.. and RB isnt our greatest need. Getting more picks would allow us to get quite a few players on the first day.. and give us a much better chance of getting 3 or 4 starters that can come in and make immediate contributions to the team.

also.. one of our biggest needs.. OT.. is near impossible to fill through FA.. and its pretty much a FACT that there will be NO quality offensive tackles available in FA this season.

However.. with Pitts holding down the LT position.. the only real hole we have at OT is RT..which can be filled with our 2nd round pick if we use it wisely.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006   #4
Wharton
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 12 Wharton was voted MVPWharton was voted MVPWharton was voted MVP

Given the talent level of this team, we need the draft picks. After all, we need people at most of the line positions (both sides of the ball), linebackers, and defensive backs. Plus personally, I think we need a new QB and running back. DD is hurt all the time, Wells is an unrestricted free agent and I am not impressed with Morancy yet.

Trade Bush away and get some picks!
Wharton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006   #5
real

exaclty...and there are so many lineman this year, none having a great advantage over the other...I dont see a big drop off in talent, lineman wise, from the first to the third...
Old 01-01-2006   #6
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

I have argued this very point many times.

To me this sounds more like attempted rationalization for not wanting to pick Bush than logic.

We have 1, 33, 65, and 66.

We can get three quality players in addition to Reggie or we can trade 65 and 66 for a pick in the second round and get another very good player in addition to our first two pics.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006   #7
houstonhurricane
All Pro

Rep Power: 938 houstonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respected

1st - Bush

2nd - OL

3rd - TE/LB

4th - OL
houstonhurricane is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-01-2006   #8
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

its gonna suck if Casserly is our GM.

He will make the obvious choice and take Bush.. but then he will use our second rounder on a kick returner from Ontario University.. and trade our two thirds to move up and take a QB from Kenya. I swear the guy just cant make the obvious choice.. he has to try and "prove his intelligence" by taking some unknown.

I think he lives for the chance to pound his chest and say how insightful he was to take someone that other people werent considering.
Old 01-01-2006   #9
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Or maybe even this:

1st overall: Reggie Bush

33rd overall: Offensive Lineman

65th overall: Offensive Lineman

66th overall: Offensive Lineman
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006   #10
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
its gonna suck if Casserly is our GM.

He will make the obvious choice and take Bush.. but then he will use our second rounder on a kick returner from Ontario University.. and trade our two thirds to move up and take a QB from Kenya. I swear the guy just cant make the obvious choice.. he has to try and "prove his intelligence" by taking some unknown.

I think he lives for the chance to pound his chest and say how insightful he was to take someone that other people werent considering.
I agree with this take. Well said.

At least we will be left with a core of the OBVIOUS talent after Charley is canned.....

Last edited by TexansFanatic; 01-01-2006 at 09:10 PM.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006   #11
Snapple
Veteran

The problem I have with this is that people seem to think that good O-linemen are easy to come by, when they're not. A first round O-lineman is probably going to be a lot more successful than one in the second or third or fourth round.

Like, oh if we take Bush, we can just use the rest of our picks on O-linemen and then presto! We'll be just like Denver or Kansas City! It's not that simple. Guys like Orlando Pace are well worth their draft price for getting a pro bowl type lineman for the next 10+ years.
Snapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006   #12
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapple
The problem I have with this is that people seem to think that good O-linemen are easy to come by, when they're not. A first round O-lineman is probably going to be a lot more successful than one in the second or third or fourth round.

Like, oh if we take Bush, we can just use the rest of our picks on O-linemen and then presto! We'll be just like Denver or Kansas City! It's not that simple. Guys like Orlando Pace are well worth their draft price for getting a pro bowl type lineman for the next 10+ years.

What is the difference between the 32nd and 33rd pick? Absolutely nothing. Max Jean Gilles or Jonathan Scott is not going to be a better player because he was picked last in the first round rather than first in the second round.

I would agree with you if there was a Orlando Pace or Jonathan Ogden type talent in the draft, but there isn't. There isn't even a Robert Gallery type talent.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006   #13
real

since orlando pace isn't coming out this year.....DRAFT BUSH
Old 01-01-2006   #14
Grid
Hall of Fame

that is actually not quite true Snapple.

Left Tackles are usually 1st round picks.

Everyone other position on the oline is 2nd or later.. and alot of the time.. its ALOT later than the second round. a whole BUNCH of starting Olinemen in the league are second day draft picks.. some are even undrafted free agents.

To get a stud LT.. you will usually need to use your 1st round pick.. but quality guards, centers, and right tackles can be had everywhere else.
Old 01-01-2006   #15
real

Look at the colts O-line...
Old 01-01-2006   #16
zeplin
Veteran

Trade down pick Dbrick and 3 other quality players. Reggie is not going to fix whats broken in Houston. Exciting yes he would be that. I want to be competitive more than I want Reggie show me the money Bush..
zeplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006   #17
real

D'Brick isn't going to do any more fixin than reggie my friend...wait i mean he isn't going to do any more fixin than the rest of the tackles taken in the first three rounds...
Old 01-01-2006   #18
Dime
Hall of Fame

Help... I dont understand why we have pick 65 and 66

The trade with the saints.. right?
Old 01-01-2006   #19
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14190 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

All that is good but we don't have playmakers bottom line. By play maker I mean it is 3rd and 7 in the 4th quarter and this guy makes the run or catch that allows us to take a kneel and run out the clock.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006   #20
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtex77
Why do most people think we cannot pick Reggie Bush and still continue to fill holes in other ways? Even the play-by-play and color guy on the broadcast of the game said that we should trade down for more picks. People act like we only get one pick in the draft and are banned from signing free-agents just we are picking #1 overall. Am I the only person who feels like this?

No, I've been saying this all along. The problem is that the fans only look at 1st round picks because Casserly has missed much more than hit after round one. The Texans have 4 high picks and can still do alot WITH Bush.
HoustonFrog is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read