Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-01-2006   #1
htsone
Rookie

Default Last Four Number One Picks

2003 - Palmer - Team in playoffs - Won Division
2004 - Manning - Team in playoffs - Won Division
2005 - Smith - Work in progress - Team Doubled Texans win total
2002 - Carr - Number 1 pick again - Utter humiliation of fans - Coach and (hopefully) GM canned with extreme prejudice and without remorse

hts
htsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006   #2
Wharton
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 12 Wharton was voted MVPWharton was voted MVPWharton was voted MVP

Given what I saw today, Smith is a bust, just like Carr!
Wharton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006   #3
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

I dont think Carr is a bust. I want to see if a real coaching staff can do something with him.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006   #4
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharton
Given what I saw today, Smith is a bust, just like Carr!
I agree that smith has little hope in the NFL, but Carr has tons of hope and he is able to put it together when he is on his feet.
Old 01-01-2006   #5
abbest
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65
I dont think Carr is a bust. I want to see if a real coaching staff can do something with him.
I agree. Carr is not bad at all just in a bad scheme. Joe Montana would stink in this situation
abbest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006   #6
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbest
I agree. Carr is not bad at all just in a bad scheme. Joe Montana would stink in this situation
No, he wouldn't stink, but he WOULD get hurt and sit on the sideline a lot.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006   #7
Snapple
Veteran

Don't just stop with four years. Courtney Brown is one of the worst number one picks ever. And don't forget about Ki-Jana Carter, Tim Couch, and probably some other #1 busts from the last decade I forgot about.
Snapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-01-2006   #8
God of Wine

Since 1980.............

1980 Billy Sims
1981 George Rogers
1982 Kenneth Sims
1983 John Elway
1984 Irving Fryar
1985 Bruce Smith
1986 Bo Jackson
1987 Vinny Testaverde
1988 Aundray Bruce
1989 Troy Aikman
1990 Jeff George
1991 Russell Maryland
1992 Steve Emtman
1993 Drew Bledsoe
1994 Dan Wilkinson
1995 Ki-Jana Carter
1996 Keyshawn Johnson
1997 Orlando Pace
1998 Peyton Manning
1999 Tim Couch
2000 Courtney Brown
2001 Michael Vick
2002 David Carr
2003 Carson Palmer
2004 Eli Manning
Old 05-24-2006   #9
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 317168 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Put Manning/Palmer/Smith on a brand new expansion team, and I bet they suck, too.

The mistake was getting a rookie QB and putting him behind an untested o-line composed of whatever players we could cobble together. We should have picked a journeyman QB to take the first couple of years of hits until the team started to get some depth. Then, and only then, get a franchise QB in the draft.

I think if Carr was drafted to an already established team, he would have realized his potential much sooner than he could on an expansion team. But that's just my own opinion. I don't think it's fair (or realistic) to compare him to teams that were already gelling and building years before their QB drafts.
Old 05-24-2006   #10
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 38035 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel
Put Manning/Palmer/Smith on a brand new expansion team, and I bet they suck, too.

The mistake was getting a rookie QB and putting him behind an untested o-line composed of whatever players we could cobble together. We should have picked a journeyman QB to take the first couple of years of hits until the team started to get some depth. Then, and only then, get a franchise QB in the draft.

I think if Carr was drafted to an already established team, he would have realized his potential much sooner than he could on an expansion team. But that's just my own opinion. I don't think it's fair (or realistic) to compare him to teams that were already gelling and building years before their QB drafts.
Good stuff DB....
Trap_Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006   #11
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 35326 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

Jan '06 thread?

It's ALIVE!!! It's ALIIIIIIIVE!!!! </mad scientist voice>

Not sure what point htsone was trying to make with the original post though. I think DB rebutted nicely though.
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006   #12
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

Although it's hindsight for me, I've felt the same as DB about the QB situation for a while now. Carr has flaws but they are exagerated by being on an expansion team (not to mention a poorly coached team with weak talent).
Old 05-24-2006   #13
Tex Trenches
Veteran

Carr can see clearly now that Dom is gone, he can see all obstacles in his way.
Old 05-24-2006   #14
ojthecat
Veteran

Kubiak's system will have the DL playing all out when they are in the game this will require a large amount of rotation to keep the line fresh they all will be playing a large number of plays.
Old 05-24-2006   #15
RWBinJax
Rookie

As a Jaguar fan, I believe Carr is a good to great QB. You must have the supporting cast.

Remember, Steve Young was a bust in Tampa Bay, with no help. When he want to San Francisco, what happened?
RWBinJax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006   #16
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBinJax
As a Jaguar fan, I believe Carr is a good to great QB. You must have the supporting cast.

Remember, Steve Young was a bust in Tampa Bay, with no help. When he want to San Francisco, what happened?
Thanks, I think Byron Lewftwhich is a below average to average QB who happens to play on a very solid team with a good coaching staff.
Old 05-24-2006   #17
Bamaborn-Texasbred
All Pro

Rep Power: 10 Bamaborn-Texasbred is a Pro BowlerBamaborn-Texasbred is a Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by God of Wine
Since 1980.............

1980 Billy Sims
1981 George Rogers
1982 Kenneth Sims
1983 John Elway
1984 Irving Fryar
1985 Bruce Smith
1986 Bo Jackson
1987 Vinny Testaverde
1988 Aundray Bruce
1989 Troy Aikman
1990 Jeff George
1991 Russell Maryland
1992 Steve Emtman
1993 Drew Bledsoe
1994 Dan Wilkinson
1995 Ki-Jana Carter
1996 Keyshawn Johnson
1997 Orlando Pace
1998 Peyton Manning
1999 Tim Couch
2000 Courtney Brown
2001 Michael Vick
2002 David Carr
2003 Carson Palmer
2004 Eli Manning
There are at least 10 busts on this list. If you count Jackson's short career at least 11.
Old 05-24-2006   #18
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 317168 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by A4toZ
Jan '06 thread?

Man, I didn't even catch that this thread was over 4 months old!
Old 05-24-2006   #19
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trade'06pick
There are at least 10 busts on this list. If you count Jackson's short career at least 11.
Who are you counting...I count 8
Old 05-24-2006   #20
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by A4toZ
Jan '06 thread?

Not sure what point htsone was trying to make with the original post though. I think DB rebutted nicely though.
New guys are like Jesus...they can resurrect old threads.

mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read