Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Is keeping Casserly a mistake?
Yes 117 78.52%
No 32 21.48%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-01-2006   #1
Nighthawk
All Pro

Default Is keeping Casserly a mistake?

Here's the question, and I admit that for my money it's a last ditch effort to display public opinion in a way that might remotely impact McNair's decision: Is it a mistake to keep Casserly? I think it is. I think this team has ONLY showed strength (insofar as it has showed strength) since Reeves was hired. I think Reeves for GM and work from there. Get real football people in this club and turn it into something.

So I give you the poll: Is keeping Casserly a mistake?
Nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006   #2
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Tulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk
I think this team has ONLY showed strength (insofar as it has showed strength) since Reeves was hired.
I'm not sure I follow.
Tulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006   #3
UzaHO
Rookie

I think keepin Casserly would be a mistake. He IMO has not been able to make solid decisions in the draft or free agency. Overpayed a number of players. He got rid of veteran player off the defense. He still has not been able to place a decent offensive line in front of Carr. Which i would probaly only extend him for 2 years.
UzaHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006   #4
Snapple
Veteran

I don't see how keeping Casserly is anything BUT a mistake.
Snapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006   #5
Wharton
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 12 Wharton was voted MVPWharton was voted MVPWharton was voted MVP

JJ has said on many occasions that the talent level on this team is not were it needs to be. While you can blame some of that on the coaches, getting talent to Houston is the GM's job.

Fire his butt now!
Wharton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006   #6
Goldeagle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Goldeagle is a Pro BowlerGoldeagle is a Pro Bowler
Send a message via Yahoo to Goldeagle

I would have voted EFF YEAH if you had it there.
Goldeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006   #7
Nighthawk
All Pro

MOD: Can you make this one a sticky?
Sponsored links
Old 01-01-2006   #8
htsone
Rookie

Default Uh Yah...

Without a doubt... Remember, he's the moron responsible for the Boselli fiasco.

hts
htsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006   #9
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 247537 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharton
JJ has said on many occasions that the talent level on this team is not were it needs to be. While you can blame some of that on the coaches, getting talent to Houston is the GM's job.

Fire his butt now!
coaches tend to blame GM's and GM's tend to blame coaches.

Just sayin.

Personally I'd keep him if I were McNair but I'd seriously reign in that urge Casserly seems to have to take wild chances with my money and my team. The PBuc trade and the story about how little info they had on him is a perfect example. I believe the first version, not CC's "Oh we looked real closely at him and watched more than four tapes" follow up amd I think it's ok to bring Casserly back as long as the leash gets held a lot tighter on him.

If he doesn't like that then fine, he can go work somewhere else.
Old 01-01-2006   #10
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Fire His Butt Now!!!!
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006   #11
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 25465 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

In an odd way, I would say no. There's too many questions / thoughts I have at this point to have no doubt that he should be gone...

- Some bad pick trades, yes - but was that at result of coaches "want"?
- Some good picks that have panned out. Hind sight 20/20, probably could've done better - but I would think an average GM overall?
- Entirely clean house, will we ever know what was truly the issue?
- Posts have been made that the talent is better than (now) 2-14... so isn't that a positive for the GM?
- Reeves brought in as a consultant - apparently he gave his viewpoint to McNair, and he may just stick around as a consultant... as McNair's right hand... to verify Casserly makes the correct GM calls.
- What other GM to take his place? Easy to launch... can you name a better replacement?

If anything, Casserly may need to review his scouting department....

Edit - I do think he's on the clock though to make the "perfect offseason" and better selections of coach and players.
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006   #12
abbest
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFanatic
Fire His Butt Now!!!!
This teams need a complete enema. git r dun
abbest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006   #13
LoneStarState
Veteran

If Casserly stays - watch him try to bring Norv Turner as HC once he's fired at Oakland.
Old 01-01-2006   #14
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Tulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVP

OK. How many who voted yes were excited about McNair hiring Dan Reeves?

GMs usually get two head coaches. Casserly is apparently going to get his chance to prove that he wasn't the problem - or that he was. It's hard to figure out for sure who was to blame if they both (Capers and Casserly) get fired at the same time.
Old 01-01-2006   #15
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by A4toZ
In an odd way, I would say no. There's too many questions / thoughts I have at this point to have no doubt that he should be gone...

- Some good picks that have panned out. Hind sight 20/20, probably could've done better - but I would think an average GM overall?
- Posts have been made that the talent is better than (now) 2-14... so isn't that a positive for the GM?
- Reeves brought in as a consultant - apparently he gave his viewpoint to McNair, and he may just stick around as a consultant... as McNair's right hand... to verify Casserly makes the correct GM calls.
- What other GM to take his place? Easy to launch... can you name a better replacement?
All excellent points. Every one of them.
Old 01-01-2006   #16
Wharton
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 12 Wharton was voted MVPWharton was voted MVPWharton was voted MVP

I don't have a problem with Reeves being GM, but I think Dan wants to coach again.
Wharton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006   #17
FILO_girl
I'm not here

Rep Power: 63 FILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharton
I don't have a problem with Reeves being GM, but I think Dan wants to coach again.
I have heard the exact opposite. I think he is our GM, just not officially yet.
FILO_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006   #18
Nighthawk
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by A4toZ

If anything, Casserly may need to review his scouting department....

Edit - I do think he's on the clock though to make the "perfect offseason" and better selections of coach and players.
My sense is that these are either (a) questions to which there are answers available, just not necessarily to us, or (b) remarks that have no meaning (such as, will we truly ever know? who cares? let's move along).

As I said, I think Reeves might be a good GM and I think there are several others available.

It sounds as if McNair has already made up his mind to keep Casserly, which seems to me a fundamental mistake. Casserly has run the farm for the last 4 years, and what you saw today, what you saw all year, is the best he can do.

He should go.
Old 01-01-2006   #19
TexanDave
Veteran

Rep Power: 880 TexanDave is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanDave is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanDave is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanDave is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanDave is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanDave is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanDave is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanDave is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanDave is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanDave is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanDave is a quality contributor and well respected

Casserly must go.
TexanDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006   #20
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

So you are trusting Charlie Casserly?The same guy that gave up multiple high picks for Jason Babin? The same guy that gave up multiple high picks for Buchanan?The same guy that took Jabar Gafney with the #1 pick of the 2nd round. The same guy who took 3 dbs in rounds 2-3 one year and NONE of them are on the team anymore. The same guy who took backup QBs and RBS in the 2nd and 3rd round yet skipped the O-line. The same guy that passed on Derrick Johnson and took Travis Johnson when they traded down?He is horrible and has ruined this team.
HoustonFrog is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read