Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 12-31-2005   #1
SESupergenius

Default Not impresses with Marcedes Lewis TE

I got to see him upclose at the Sun Bowl and was not impressed at all. Olson threw a hard pass at him and it bounced right off his chest. He can't take a hard hit, couldn't block too well and has a lanky body type. Several NFL scouts were at the game (Jets, Saints, Browns Panthers) /and I found it odd that no Texans scouts were there considering TE is a big weakness for us and Marcedes is considered one of the better TE's in this draft. I have confidence in our scouting abilities.
Old 12-31-2005   #2
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SESupergenius
I have confidence in our scouting abilities.

Uhhh, I think they were just waiting for you to file your report SES.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005   #3
Huge
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP

If Reggie Bush was judged on just one game and that one game was against Washington, I doubt anybody would consider him to even be a first day selection.
Huge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005   #4
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I got to see him upclose at the Sun Bowl and was not impressed at all. Olson threw a hard pass at him and it bounced right off his chest. He can't take a hard hit, couldn't block too well and has a lanky body type. Several NFL scouts were at the game (Jets, Saints, Browns Panthers) /and I found it odd that no Texans scouts were there considering TE is a big weakness for us and Marcedes is considered one of the better TE's in this draft. I have confidence in our scouting abilities.
Lewis is the top TE in the draft, and there is no real dispute about that.

The Texans don't need to be scouting a first round TE.
Old 12-31-2005   #5
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I have confidence in our scouting abilities.
Why??

They are one of the most highly paid, but obviously they havent been able to scout very well with top 15 picks each year. Now look where we are with our accumulated talent. :brickwall
Old 12-31-2005   #6
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Pope... 6'7" 250.. we can get him in the second I bet.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005   #7
Youngstown Colt
All Pro

Lewis has a bad game and all of a sudden he's not an elite TE? I truely hope he doesn't go to the Texans, because he is a stud.
Old 01-01-2006   #8
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan
Lewis is the top TE in the draft, and there is no real dispute about that.

Actually Vernon Davis out of Maryland 6'3 250 with around 4.45 speed is a challenger to that crown.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006   #9
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan
Actually Vernon Davis out of Maryland 6'3 250 with around 4.45 speed is a challenger to that crown.
He is the better athlete, and i agree that he is the best "potential" TE, but Lewis is polished and is ready to go.

different terms:
Mercedes Lewis = a mercedes. Smoot and dependable from the begining, yet expensive to replace parts and have serviced. When was the last time you saw a mercedes with any aftermarket stuff?

Vernon Davis = a honda civic. He is dependable, but not imediatly distinguishable. it has the perfect mold, and can easily be ugraded to make it faster, or add a better system. the options on his outlook are endless, but all in a positive direction.
Old 01-01-2006   #10
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan
He is the better athlete, and i agree that he is the best "potential" TE, but Lewis is polished and is ready to go.

different terms:
Mercedes Lewis = a mercedes. Smoot and dependable from the begining, yet expensive to replace parts and have serviced. When was the last time you saw a mercedes with any aftermarket stuff?

Vernon Davis = a honda civic. He is dependable, but not imediatly distinguishable. it has the perfect mold, and can easily be ugraded to make it faster, or add a better system. the options on his outlook are endless, but all in a positive direction.
Nice poetic language, but bad on camparison. Davis is a more complete football player while Lewis is a primarily a pass catcher. At the end of the day, i believe that Davis will go off the board first. At worst they will be a handful of draft positions difference between the two.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006   #11
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan
Nice poetic language, but bad on camparison. Davis is a more complete football player while Lewis is a primarily a pass catcher. At the end of the day, i believe that Davis will go off the board first. At worst they will be a handful of draft positions difference between the two.
I had Vernon Davis on my NCAA fantasy team and he is a heck of a weapon. I agree with you across the board on this. Too bad Davis doesn't have a last name like Buick or something.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006   #12
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Vernon Davis is a complete TE. He is a good blocker and a good receiver. Mel Kiper Jr. has said that Vernon Davis will grade better than K2 did at the combine and will shoot up the draft boards.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006   #13
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan
Vernon Davis is a complete TE. He is a good blocker and a good receiver. Mel Kiper Jr. has said that Vernon Davis will grade better than K2 did at the combine and will shoot up the draft boards.
has he even declared? if we are talking here about ALL College TE prospects & not just the eligible ones then #1 rated should be Miami super soph. Greg Olsen
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006   #14
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

we'll probably go after the new starting TE in the 3rd round where we have two picks in that round as of now...i wouldn't be surprised if we go after one of the colorado mammoths or jeff king of va tech...both the colorado TE's are over 6'6'' and both are excellent blockers and pass catchers
Old 01-01-2006   #15
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover
has he even declared? if we are talking here about ALL College TE prospects & not just the eligible ones then #1 rated should be Miami super soph. Greg Olsen
I agree, he is the ONLY te i would even consider with my first round pick.

by the way, he is three years removed from highschool i believe, and is therefore eligible. However, there are NO indications or reports, nor should there be, that he will declare.
Old 01-01-2006   #16
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I have to ask this again. Why is noone even considering David Thomas? Dave Thomas reminds me of Dallas Clark. I hope all of you keep your eyes on #16 this Wednesday and see all that this guy does for a team.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006   #17
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano
I have to ask this again. Why is noone even considering David Thomas? Dave Thomas reminds me of Dallas Clark. I hope all of you keep your eyes on #16 this Wednesday and see all that this guy does for a team.
I watched him some this year. He is a very solid blocking TE who loves to seal the edge. His route running and ability to get open are a bit suspect to me, but his hands are above average, along with his size. It also doesn't hurt that he is playing on one of, if not the best college teams in the country.
Old 01-01-2006   #18
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

His ability to get open? Up until the WR figured out how to run routes, this dude has been consistently open. What I like is how he does in the redzone. TDs anytime we are in the 20.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006   #19
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano
His ability to get open? Up until the WR figured out how to run routes, this dude has been consistently open. What I like is how he does in the redzone. TDs anytime we are in the 20.

thats quite an assumption. I see his ability to get open coming more from the threat of vince young. He is seldom open before young starts to roll out. He also does not seem to posess any cockiness or attitude.

He is worth a second day look i guess.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read