Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 12-30-2005   #1
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 122253 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Future LT watch - Winston in the Peach Bowl

[Early 1st Quarter]

So far, he's given up one sack (going one-on-one) with an LSU LB. Looked like he wasn't ready for the speed and his feet were in concrete.

Other than that, he's looked solid. He also appears to be calling a lot of the line responsibility "calls" for the lineman.
disaacks3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005   #2
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 97166 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Im Not Impressed At All.
Old 12-30-2005   #3
bigcarlos
Veteran

There has to be a big concern on his injury from before
bigcarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005   #4
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Rep Power: 904 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected

i said he was soft after the florida state game....now people want to listen?

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maher
"I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma"
swtbound07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005   #5
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1331 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run

Quote:
Originally Posted by powda
Im Not Impressed At All.
So are you in the D'Brick or Bush camp?
Unless he has a terrible combine, D'Brick WILL be the first LT taken, probably in the 4-8 range, depending on where we end up...
Old 12-30-2005   #6
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 97166 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by run-david-run
So are you in the D'Brick or Bush camp?

BRICK VS WINSTON? brick easy.

but brick isnt a #1 overall caliber pick. to many minor flaws in his game ,but great potential with an nfl training program.

his run blocking just isnt what i was hoping for and thats my biggest complaint.
Old 12-30-2005   #7
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 122253 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Winston just can't seem to handle the LB speed rushers, though he's looked good against the DE's tonight.
disaacks3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-30-2005   #8
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

I'm sorry but after these two games today (Miami and Virginia), I don't see how we could trade down from Reggie Bush to pick up one of these guys. D'Brick has shown that he is a one dimensional LT who can only pass block and Winston hasn't looked too hot either. Like I have said repeatedly, our best first two picks would be Bush and then Jean Gilles.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005   #9
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan
I'm sorry but after these two games today (Miami and Virginia), I don't see how we could trade down from Reggie Bush to pick up one of these guys. D'Brick has shown that he is a one dimensional LT who can only pass block and Winston hasn't looked too hot either. Like I have said repeatedly, our best first two picks would be Bush and then Jean Gilles.

I had to work late and missed both games. What specifically is Dbrick's issue? Is it a technique issue that can be corrected? Is it a weight issue? Or does he simply not have that "it" factor? Same questions with Winston.

i am thinking about a mock and need some more information please!

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005   #10
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3
Winston just can't seem to handle the LB speed rushers
Uh Oh ! That doesn't sound good. Didn't see the game, but some of you guys
don't have much good to say about Winston's performance tonight.
Where's Coach, he's Winston's biggest booster on this Board ? Either Winston's outing tonight was so bad Coach has made himself unavailable to defend his boy, or he got an early start on his New Years Eve celebration.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005   #11
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Coach C. is a Pro BowlerCoach C. is a Pro Bowler

Ok now I have seen both games and Arlington Tex has put out his thoughts on D'brick read them they are pretty insightful. Winston I think showed exactly what people expected out of him. He makes the line calls, he is strong in the passing game and a monster in the run game, many times clearing holes. The interior of the Miami line reminds me of ours and simply could not handle Wrotten and Williams. I think these two guys pulled much closer today. They are both very solid and each has their thing. DF is a monster pass blocker, and his knocks are true, and Winston is a monster run blocker and his knocks are true. Winston does look like he is coming into form from his surgery and looks tons better than from the beginning of the year. He is also a good deal stronger than DF. It will be an interesting combine and workouts to see these guys battle.
Old 12-30-2005   #12
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy
Uh Oh ! That doesn't sound good. Didn't see the game, but some of you guys
don't have much good to say about Winston's performance tonight.
Where's Coach, he's Winston's biggest booster on this Board ? Either Winston's outing tonight was so bad Coach has made himself unavailable to defend his boy, or he got an early start on his New Years Eve celebration.
What up nun. Yeah I got an early start, but I watched both games. I must say Winston is still my guy. He did nothing today to dissuade me. I have listed his faults and DF's faults and they pulled closer today than anything else. Right now the way it stands is a grade on Lineman the way I like them.

Pass Blocking
Run Blocking
Footwork
Strength
Football Awareness
Quickness
Nasty Demeanor
Potential

When you judge by these categories the two guys pretty much split. Neither of the guys are that heads or tails better than the other in any category other than Nasty Demeanor. Honestly right now I believe that both guys deserve the hype and the knocks about them ring true at the moment. The combine and workouts will tell alot. I am not going to come off Winston though.
Old 12-30-2005   #13
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 182552 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

It was hard watching Winston in the 2nd half because Miami did not have the ball much . I did watch some he's not bad .

I watched DBrick and he looked like he had his guy on passing downs but he is thin and he's all arms and legs .

I think their both better than Alex Barron or Jamal Brown but not as good of a prospect as Gallery (who's playing right tackle ) when he came out .

Jordan Gross was a OT selected by Carolina in 2003 with the 8th pick and played right tackle in the super bowl . I guess he can't play LT.
Old 12-30-2005   #14
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

I would easily say Earl you are pretty on trak with your statement. Gallery and Gross have not been able to beat out veterans and have been extremely solid at RT until they do. They can both play LT, even though Gross may be better suited to play RT.
Old 12-30-2005   #15
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

from what I've seen today I agree with what's already been posted concerning this tackle class, I'm still not convinced even D'Brick is worth a top 5 pick, more like a 6-10 pick.

that being said no one has mentioned two very solid performances from a couple other tackles who are going to be in this draft named Andrew Whitworth (LSU) & Davin Joseph (OU) both have Pitts like potential (will most likely play guard in the NFL) but also have the experience and type of frame to fill in the tackle position.

Davin is stout and massive 315 lbs and opened nice lanes for Peterson in the 2nd half of OU's win against the Ducks, had excellent footwork & moved well in space. Whitworth has excellent size 6060 330 lbs and sealed off the edge nicely against a top ranked defense in Miami (looked more agile than Winston).

I'm shifting beers, I mean gears now- Texans need to improve the run defense & pass rush 1st given the depth of the offensive line class. select the #1 playmaker to improve the Texans defense then with the 2nd/3rd picks add the beef to the OL. I've never been on the AJ Hawk bandwagon but maybe just maybe he is the type of player we need to draft 1st to imprint the Texans signature and turn this last place, bottom ranked defense around.

the defensive playmakers are thin at the top while the OL positions run deep into the latter rds
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005   #16
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Whitwoth did not look more agile than Winston, but I do think he had a great game. He was beaten several times which caused Flynn to scramble, but one thing about the guy is he is huge. He looks like a RT in the pros, similar to Jamall Brown from last year. Not sure if he is as good, but he is a solid second round pick. Davin Joseph beer i have been with you on this guy since I watched some games of his. The kid is huge nasty and would lock down the LG or RG spot for us.
Old 12-30-2005   #17
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 182552 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Well one these two guys have to be a top 10 player . My question is how much of a gap is there between the top tackle and the 4th best tackle ?

I guess my point would be ... what position has the biggest dropoff from best to mid . I 've only heard about one CB so is the next guy is a 4.7 dude .
Old 12-30-2005   #18
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach C.
Whitwoth did not look more agile than Winston
Winston does not have the lateral range to deal with smaller quicker speed rushers, he is great in running plays and otherwise in pass protection I just cannot grade him out as high as you or I once did, I'm sorry. I also agree Whitworth would be an upgrade over Wade but you know McNair is paying him all that money to be our franchise RT, so I doubt we draft him either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach C.
Davin Joseph beer i have been with you on this guy since I watched some games of his. The kid is huge nasty and would lock down the LG or RG spot for us.
I agree with you 100%

the Texans need to draft him with their 2nd pick, maybe not a sexy pick or high profile kid he is just one of those building blocks teams have that win games and championships. I like him over Max Jean-Gilles because of his athleticism and ability to play multiple positions across the line.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005   #19
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

I'm not big on Max Jean-Gilles he looks like he's already 350 lbs and not nearly as agile as Shawn Andrews .

I'd rather have a guy 300 lbs out of college before I would a 350 lbs . They seem like they add 20 more lbs through the NFL lifestyle .
Old 12-30-2005   #20
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34
I'm not big on Max Jean-Gilles he looks like he's already 350 lbs and not nearly as agile as Shawn Andrews .

I'd rather have a guy 300 lbs out of college before I would a 350 lbs . They seem like they add 20 more lbs through the NFL lifestyle .
Jean Giles is a one dimensional guy in my opinion: run blocking. I have not seen enough to pass final judgement, but have heard he lacks motivation and is not athletic for his size.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read