Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-30-2005   #1
Scribe
Rookie

Default Anyone, about Fred Weary...

I know he's gotten a chance to start the last few games. Does anyone know how he's performed in that time? I expected him to be more of a contributor out of college and was curious as to why he wasn't seeing more action earlier. Is it lack of strength, technique, quickness/mobility, something else?

Then again, I don't get to see the team much since I live in Ohio and don't have NFL Sunday Ticket. So, it's hard to be in position to evaluate players that well.
Old 12-30-2005   #2
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

IMO, Weary has performed well enough as a run blocker, but like most of the Texans' OLmen does not move his feet well enough in pass protection.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005   #3
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree with AT and I think he would have more value if we played him at Center....but who knows what our coaches are thinking...if they are thinking at all.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005   #4
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
I agree with AT and I think he would have more value if we played him at Center....but who knows what our coaches are thinking...if they are thinking at all.
Memory fails but didn't Weary play center in college? I'm not sure where that's coming from but it seems to me like I remember hearing that somewhere.
Old 12-30-2005   #5
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 159792 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel
Memory fails but didn't Weary play center in college? I'm not sure where that's coming from but it seems to me like I remember hearing that somewhere.
From his Texans Bio page...
COLLEGE: Recruited as guard, then moved to defensive tackle as a redshirt freshman, only to move back to guard the following year…played center as a junior and guard again as a senior
disaacks3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005   #6
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Weary was the highest rated center in 2002 .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005   #7
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34
Weary was the highest rated center in 2002 .
Well, it's obviouse why we don't use him there.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-30-2005   #8
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Weary is a serviceable backup but if we want to be a decent team I don't think we should make any plans about starting him anywhere on the OL.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005   #9
Erratic Assassin
All Pro

Rep Power: 13 Erratic Assassin was voted MVPErratic Assassin was voted MVPErratic Assassin was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorKnolle
Weary is a serviceable backup but if we want to be a decent team I don't think we should make any plans about starting him anywhere on the OL.
That's our problem. I think we have an entire squad of serviceable backups and no starters. Throw Milford Brown in there too.
Erratic Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005   #10
Goldeagle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Goldeagle is a Pro BowlerGoldeagle is a Pro Bowler
Send a message via Yahoo to Goldeagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribe
I know he's gotten a chance to start the last few games. Does anyone know how he's performed in that time? I expected him to be more of a contributor out of college and was curious as to why he wasn't seeing more action earlier. Is it lack of strength, technique, quickness/mobility, something else?

Then again, I don't get to see the team much since I live in Ohio and don't have NFL Sunday Ticket. So, it's hard to be in position to evaluate players that well.

Ive seen him miss blocks on both ends and mis read the blitz. One play Carr got the snap and as soon as he brought his arm back he got plowed (granted it was all Carss fault of course :/ ) but Weary held his hands up in a helpless motion and that scared me. Guy was inactive all year and all of a sudden Casserly is saying he will help us win?
Goldeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005   #11
touttail
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigTEXan8

Would he execute at center???

Bobby 119C:brickwall
touttail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005   #12
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erratic Assassin
That's our problem. I think we have an entire squad of serviceable backups and no starters. Throw Milford Brown in there too.
Agreed, Milford Brown, Fred Weary, and Seth Wand all are serviceable backups but not starting-quality OLinemen, not to mention Victor Riley who was our LT for the first part of the year. I'd even put Todd Wade in that group, although we made him one of the top 2-3 highest paid RTs in the NFL despite him never making a Pro Bowl and being quite slow for an OT. I hope we bring in enough OL talent from the draft and free agency that we can bench Wade and the rest of them, even with his $30 million contract. I think Pitts, Wiegert, and maybe Hodgdon (a big maybe) are the only OL we have that are starting quality, and Wiegert is getting old and probably only has one good year left, which coincidentally is also all he has left on his contract so we need to also look for his eventual replacement in addition to bringing in 2-3 starters for next year, and we definitely need a better OL coach.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read