Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 12-30-2005   #1
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11 Coach C. is a Pro BowlerCoach C. is a Pro Bowler
Default 11 Espn

In about an hour everyone can cozy up on the couch or sneak into the break room and watch Minnesota vs Virginia. The feature of this game is none other than Prospect LT D'Brick Ferguson. I am in favor of Winston, but I will be observing this game with a keen eye to see if Ferguson is truly as great as some think. I invite all people that post on the draft board to check out this game. There will likely be a good overall prospect review by ArlingotnTex so stay tuned after for that.
Old 12-30-2005   #2
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach C.
In about an hour everyone can cozy up on the couch or sneak into the break room and watch Minnesota vs Virginia. The feature of this game is none other than Prospect LT D'Brick Ferguson. I am in favor of Winston, but I will be observing this game with a keen eye to see if Ferguson is truly as great as some think. I invite all people that post on the draft board to check out this game. There will likely be a good overall prospect review by ArlingotnTex so stay tuned after for that.
Minnesota also has a couple quality interior OL in Eslinger and Setterstrom that could be potential 3rd and maybe even 2nd rounders that could be used to bolster our line as well. Unfortunately I will be unable to watch the game so hopefully a couple of you will watch closely and give us a good review of the players involved.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005   #3
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7857 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Anything so far?
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005   #4
Peldon
All Pro

Rep Power: 33 Peldon is a quality contributor and well respectedPeldon is a quality contributor and well respectedPeldon is a quality contributor and well respectedPeldon is a quality contributor and well respectedPeldon is a quality contributor and well respectedPeldon is a quality contributor and well respectedPeldon is a quality contributor and well respectedPeldon is a quality contributor and well respectedPeldon is a quality contributor and well respectedPeldon is a quality contributor and well respectedPeldon is a quality contributor and well respected

They just said that Ferguson is a first degree black belt so his balance and footwork must be impeccable.
Peldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005   #5
The Preacher
Veteran

D'Brick looks great so far. He's got his man looking so demoralized that he gives up sometimes and just stands there. One guy got around him when D'Brick kind of let him get around like he thought it would be a quick screen or something. His arms hang down to his knees he looks like he was made to be a LT.
The Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005   #6
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7857 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

A black belt. Hand, eye, and foot coordination is something you want on your lt.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005   #7
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 85740 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Don't forget LONG arms. His hands look to be down towards his ankles, lol.
PapaL is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-30-2005   #8
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Half time is almost up and I figured I make a post on Ferguson's play so far. The kid has looked good. Yeah he is small and seems to be decently strong. Not as strong as a prototype LT in the NFL, but that can be made. He has long arms and does not have alot of wasted motion in his protection. He is stout as a pass protector unless they bull rush him, and he had some problems on a stunt that sent the much bigger DT over to him. Other than a couple of bull rushes he has been extremely solid. He is however not really a force in the run game. He is ok, but not much better than that. He also seems to lack a nasty demeanor, which btw Greg Eslinger is showing. I would have to say that Ferguson deserves most of his hype so far. The knocks on him are true and the pros for him are true. He is a solid prospect and a likely top 10 pick.
Old 12-30-2005   #9
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 58383 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

thx for the DF half time update.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005   #10
Holden135
Veteran

My take on DF so far is similar to Coach C's take. He looks to be a much better pass blocker than a run blocker. I do really like Eslinger from Minn. He won the Outland trophy this year and I can see why. He is a little undersized but he is very agile. Does anybody know where he is projected to go in the draft? I think he may be more of a necessity than DF because our guards have been horrible this season.
Holden135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005   #11
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 58383 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

NOTE: Olsen from UCLA has thrown 3 picks, 2 for TD's against North Western.

Olsen had only 3 picks all season.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005   #12
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden135
My take on DF so far is similar to Coach C's take. He looks to be a much better pass blocker than a run blocker. I do really like Eslinger from Minn. He won the Outland trophy this year and I can see why. He is a little undersized but he is very agile. Does anybody know where he is projected to go in the draft? I think he may be more of a necessity than DF because our guards have been horrible this season.
Definitely not in the 1st round, and I haven't really heard any 2nd round consideration for him either but probably somewhere mid-late 2nd to late 3rd-early 4th round.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005   #13
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1698 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

He played so well, Minnesota eventually gave up trying to rush the left side and DF was just standing around in some plays. I don't think he'll go in the top 5 unless he has a good combine. I liked the Virginia QB's play, but his size will hurt his stock dramatically. Will he play in the NFL?
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005   #14
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Well the game is over and my final thoughts should be made known I guess. I have to say first I only watched Eslinger and Ferguson intently. They both did not dissapoint. Eslinger is nasty and I mean nasty he reminds me alot of Olin Kreutz, who was undersized, but played so hard he just got it done. I think this kid is going to be something in the NFL. A 3rd round pick possibly and one that I would not mind picking up if he is available. Ferguson is a stud pass blocker there is no doubt about that. He is the best pass blocker I have seen all year with Thomas coming in second. The probelms I have with him still put him below Winston for me, but that could change as I watch Winston's game tonight. The U game I will be watching a slew of players. McIntosh, Nagy, Williams, Winston, Maxey, Merriweather, Hester, and Jennings all interest me. Jennings is falling in my book because as I have watched more games he plays alot like Phillip Buchananon. Winston and Ferguson look like they will definately be battling it out for the top OT spot. McNeil will be there, but he is just so much a RT that he does not get my nod. Until then people.
Old 12-30-2005   #15
LORK 88
Wreck'em Ŧech!

Rep Power: 202 LORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to LORK 88

GAME NOTES
From what I saw, D'Brickishaw Ferguson impressed me alot. He's got a good sized frame and looks like he could add some more weight. He's also got some gorilla arms that go down to his knees, that help him get good leverage. As a pass blocker, he did amazing. He's athletic enough to go straight at his man rather than take time to drop back. He does a great job locking up his man and controls him with ease. From what I saw, his man only got by twice, but never made the sack. As a run blocker, he's pretty good. He gets to the second level with ease and reaches his man well. He also does a good job sealing his guy off. He had a great run block that opened up a lane for Lundy to practically walk in to the endzone.

Overall, this guy is an amazing LT prospect. He is amazing in pass pro, and is a good run blocker. He might need to add on some weight and get stronger, but this guy has some serious talent and could help Houston out greatly.
Old 12-30-2005   #16
The Preacher
Veteran

No doubt DF will be a great consolation if we lose the top pick Saturday. He would immediately bring some confidence and stability which is desperately lacking. If you add a 2nd round prospect at G or C and the line could leap light years. I've forgotten about the RB hype so I guess he was impressive to say the least. Don't even care about the first pick anymore but if we get it trade down, get this guy and more.
The Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005   #17
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1330 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run

Also, the knock on D'Brick is his run blocking, but Virginia is a running team and he still dominates. I think we would be foolish to pass on him given our sitution... the signature says it all:
Old 12-30-2005   #18
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 143 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

So if we had the number one pick and nobody to trade with, would you still take D,brick at number 1?
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005   #19
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcoolguy
So if we had the number one pick and nobody to trade with, would you still take D,brick at number 1?
no, i would let our pick slide by until about #4 or 5. He is not worth the top money, but still an amazing player.
Old 12-30-2005   #20
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1330 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcoolguy
Somebody would always be willing to trade, if not, I would still take him because that is what we need the most. It dosnt matter if he is "worthy" of the number 1 pick because he is could be that valuable to our team, that is what matter most

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read