Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 12-29-2005   #1
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 Tulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVP
Default Will Mack Brown Lose His First Longhorn Junior To The NFL Draft?

Of course, technically Kwame Cavil was his first Longhorn junior to declare, but he doesn't count. Mack refused to renew his scholarship after the suspension scandal during the 1999 bowl season.

So, here's Vince Young. 2nd place in Heisman voting. Leads NCAA with a 160+ passer rating. About to start in the Rose Bowl for the national championship.

First he was definitely coming back. Then he had "somewhat" made his decision. And today, during halftime of the Holiday Bowl, he said he hasn't even "sat down with his family" about his options.

To me, he is the Mack Brown/Texas player most likely to bolt before his senior season. Perhaps winning the championship would be the catalyst for choosing the NFL, and losing would make him want to stay and prove himself next year. Perhaps he's waiting for for some certainty that he will be a top 5 pick this year before he declares.

This kid is special. I give him credit for changing Mack Brown for the better. He is great to watch in person, and I only had that opportunity during his freshman season. He's the only QB with whom Mack Brown has put his complete faith and trust.

Part of me wants Vince Young to come out now and prove to the naysayers that he's ready and part of me wants to watch him make those awesome connections with Limas Sweed for another year and continue to make Mack Brown look like a genius.

Another reason I'd like him to stay is because I am jealous that some other NFL team is going to get him and I'd rather watch him play for my home college team for another year than play for some NFL competitor that may only visit Reliant every 6 or 8 years.

I guess, amongst my ramblings, my discussion questions are:

1. Do you think Vince Young will declare for the draft?

2. Do you want him to?
Tulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005   #2
CenTexNative
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to CenTexNative Send a message via Yahoo to CenTexNative

I for one think that Vince will be back for his senior year. So far everything I have read or heard that came from either him of his family say that he will be back. So that's what I am basing my opinion on.
CenTexNative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005   #3
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

I think that he will come back after Texas is embarrassed by USC just like Oklahoma was last year.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005   #4
CenTexNative
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to CenTexNative Send a message via Yahoo to CenTexNative

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan
I think that he will come back after Texas is embarrassed by USC just like Oklahoma was last year.
I very seriously doubt that it will be an ebbarrasment. I expect it to be a very good game. The better team will win. In this case I hope it's the Longhorns. It is usc then so be it. At least they made it to the championship game.
CenTexNative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005   #5
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

This is an overhyped game. The media forgets that last year Oklahoma was #2, undefeated, and the game had 4 of 5 heisman finalists. USC's starting offense only played 3 quarters and they are even better this year.
Old 12-29-2005   #6
profan
Veteran

If Vince just lights up the Rose Bowl with some type of record performance in the passing game, if the usc qb stinks it up, texas wins by a large margin, and then if it appears he may be the top qb selected, or at least drafted in the top 3, then i say he will go. That being said, i don't think he will set any kind of passing records, i think he will play a good game, but so will the usc qb. I think texas may win, but not by a blowout. If i had to put money on it, i would say vince young stays.
profan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005   #7
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 39326 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

The only money that makes any difference will be the money left on the table if Vince stays
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-29-2005   #8
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 Tulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVP

Quote:
This is an overhyped game. The media forgets that last year Oklahoma was #2, undefeated, and the game had 4 of 5 heisman finalists. USC's starting offense only played 3 quarters and they are even better this year.
I'd like to watch the shows you've been watching. I've seen the media repeatedly disregard Texas as some kind of tiny speedbump en route to USC's annoited Sears trophy.
Old 12-29-2005   #9
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Vince Young will stay in college.

The reason is that even if he declares he will not be the number one pick. He is likely not to be even a top 5 pick. Bush is likely the consensus top pick and leinart would be the top QB taken.

Next year's draft will be far friendlier to Young. Bush and leinart will have graduated and Young figures to be the preliminary Heisman contender. Adrian Peterson signifigantly underperformed this year so he will may not pose much of a challenge. I think it makes more sense for VY to stay in college an extra year.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005   #10
tulexan
Hall of Fame

I believe it is the ADT trophy now. And this game is being heralded as one of the best national championships in several years. People forget that last year was the exact same situation with Oklahoma.
Old 12-29-2005   #11
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Quote:
People forget that last year was the exact same situation with Oklahoma.
Except that Texas has more talent than Oklahoma did last year and arguably has more talent than USC this year.
Old 12-29-2005   #12
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulip
Except that Texas has more talent than Oklahoma did last year and arguably has more talent than USC this year.
I'm not sure I could say Texas has more talent than Oklahoma did last year and I haven't seen evidence yet that Texas is more talented than USC, but we'll find out on Wednesday.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005   #13
Huge
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP

Justin Blalock is another he may have to worry about losing.
Huge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005   #14
tulexan
Hall of Fame

How does Texas have more talent than Oklahoma did?

They had a Heisman winning quarterback. Regardless if he was a bust in the NFL, he was still a great college quarterback.

They had the best running back in college football last year. He was also a Heisman finalist.

They had a first round pick wide receiver.

They had a great offensive line.

They had one of the best punt returners in college football.

They had a pretty good defense. Remember they shut out Texas last year?

Now on to USC...

They have a Heisman winning quarterback

They have a Heisman winning running back

They have another running back who had 20 touchdowns

They have not one, but 2 great receivers

They have one of the top tight ends in college football

They have a great offensive line
Old 12-29-2005   #15
Huge
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP

Texas has a better secondary.
Texas has a better QB.
Texas has a better OL.
Texas has a better TE.
Texas has better depth.

That's how they have more talent this year than Oklahoma had last year.
Old 12-29-2005   #16
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge
Texas has a better QB.
Texas has a better OL.
Texas has a better TE.
Texas has better depth.

I'm fairly indifferent twoards either side.

My unbiased oppinion:

USC has a better QB
USC has a better RB combo
O-line is even
USC has a better TE
USC has better WR's
USC has depth like you would not believe.
USC has a top tier return man
USC has the better punter and place kicker (field position battle)
Texas has a better secondary
Neither side really has any standout LB's.
Texas has the better D-line
USC has the better coach
USC has more offensive weapons (Choices)
Texas has the ball in their "playmaker's" hands every snap
USC's "playmaker" touches it under 20 times per game.

that is my quick evaluation for those still not completly familiar or looking for an outsiders opinion. I like neither Texas or USC, but recognize their talent.
Old 12-30-2005   #17
Huge
Hall of Fame

To be clear, my "evaluation" was a comparison of '05 Texas and '04 Oklahoma.
Old 12-30-2005   #18
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge
Texas has a better QB.
Texas has a better OL.
Texas has a better TE.
Texas has better depth.

OU-UT comparisons:
Not sure about the secondaries of the two schools.
Jason White was a better college QB than Vince Young, look at the stats between the two if you want.
OU had a pretty stout OL last year, one 1st rounder from last year and another that will be an early 2nd rounder this year plus other solid ones as well.
UT's TE is probably better.
I don't think Texas has any better depth than Oklahoma did last year, plus OU's defense was probably better.

OU's draft picks in '05 draft:
Jamaal Brown, OT, Rd.1 #13 (#13) New Orleans
Mark Clayton, WR, Rd. 1 #22 (#22) Baltimore
Brodney Pool, FS, Rd. 2 #2 (#34) Cleveland
Mark Bradley, WR, Rd. 2 #7 (#39) Chicago
Dan Cody, DE, Rd. 2 #21 (#53) Baltimore
Brandon Jones, WR, Rd. 3 #33 (#96) Tennessee
Antonio Perkins, CB, Rd. 4 #2 (#103) Cleveland
Donte Nicholson, SS, Rd. 5 #5 (#141) Tampa Bay
Michael Hawkins, FS, Rd. 5 #31 (#167) Green Bay
Lance Mitchell, ILB, Rd. 5 #32 (#168) Arizona
Wes Sims, OG, Rd. 6 #3 (#177) San Diego
That's 11 draft picks from last year, six in the first day of the draft, not to mention Heisman winner Jason White at QB, Adrian Peterson (will be a stud in the NFL in two years) and KeJuan Jones at RB, Dusty Dvoracek at DT (should make the NFL as a mid rounder), and Davin Joseph (likely be a 2nd round pick this year), plus any others that are receiving NFL attention.

Last edited by MorKnolle; 12-30-2005 at 09:56 AM.
Old 12-30-2005   #19
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Just an FYI on QB comparisons:

Vince Young '05:182/285-63.9%-2769-26/10
Jason White '04:278/390-65.4%-3205-35/9

White had a higher completion percentage and a much better TD/INT ratio, not to mention the year before (White's Heisman season) he had another 40TD/10INTs, so you can't say Young is a better college QB than Jason White. Unlike White, I think Young will be a good NFL player, but in terms of college QBs and their ability to run their respective teams I'd have to give the nod to Jason White if anything.
Old 12-30-2005   #20
The Preacher
Veteran

USC's defense lost some guys to the pros and got lit up by Fresno. If Texas has any resemblance of a D they should win. If I were a gambling man I would take those points in a heartbeat.

Interesting fact the SEC has six teams in the top twenty in scoring defense.
The Pac 10 has zero.
The Big 12 has one-Texas

You think that skews their stats?

The Pac 10 plays five bowl games. Three are over with one TD wins over #43Rutgers and #51 BYU. Tough bowl schedule there but their record won't show the cupcakes.

The Big 12 has played well with half their bowl schedule over even though the SEC is yet to play a game.

Yeah I'm an SEC guy but don't worry about humility I'm a Vol and Texans fan.

Just saying these two conferences haven't really put up much of a test for either USC or Texas and these two schools are hardly as elite as they're hyped to be. Just two good teams from weak conferences that don't play defense.

Happy New Year
The Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read