Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-29-2005   #1
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 76169 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected
Default John Lopez: "Real fans should hope for a loss"

I guess a debate needs to take place on what is a "real" fan.
Quote:
You won't be less of a fan by hoping for a loss on Sunday. You'd be more of one.
Houston Chronicle editorial

BTW, they say losing brings out the true colors. Reading Justice's and Lopez's columns this season seem to prove that out.

Last edited by Marcus; 12-29-2005 at 08:16 AM.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005   #2
Texan Asylum
Christian

Rep Power: 17420 Texan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respected

There is no way any professional is gonna go out with the agenda to lose. No way. But you have a mix of professionalism and business...Quite the problem. The players wanna go out and give their best but on the other hand the business people want to make the best of an awful situation. Fans are split on both sides just like the players and the business folk. There is no real answer to the delema so in my opinion we flip a coin...No not really. I don't know what the best solution is. In my opinion both teams are gonna go out and play the game like it's the Superbowl with the full support of the Coaching staff and Owners. Both teams will do everything in their power to win the game and in the end one will end up with the #1 Draft pick and the other with a high level draft pick of their own. Both organizations will come off the field knowing they gave it everything they had a feel good about themselves. The fans will continue to debate the greatness or the foolishness of whatever is done but in the end the spirit of Sportmanship will win out because it's better to give it all you got even if you lose out in the end and I don't ever recall winning ever equated into losing. GO TEXANS...play it like the Superbowl and if you win GREAT and if you lose then I quess we win with dignity.
Texan Asylum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005   #3
barzilla
Veteran

Hey, I respect people that never root for defeat and I think Lopez grossly overstated his case, but I think he legitimately wants what's best for the team. Ignoring the obvious sticking point, is there much of a difference between 2-14 and 3-13?
barzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005   #4
Texan Asylum
Christian

Rep Power: 17420 Texan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respected

Not much at all, but the difference in the state of mind in losing willingly is a much different story. How do you explain to you child that the game thay beat you at did not really count cause you let them win? Different situations but still equates to the same principal. WIN at all cost and if you don't aleast you know you did the best you could do. You can always get better physically
but it's much harder to improve how one feels about themselves personally.
IMO
Old 12-29-2005   #5
SteelBlueToro
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by barzilla
Hey, I respect people that never root for defeat and I think Lopez grossly overstated his case, but I think he legitimately wants what's best for the team. Ignoring the obvious sticking point, is there much of a difference between 2-14 and 3-13?
There is when you consider what the first pick, or multiple picks if you get the first pick, can do for the team in the future. A better record could cost the Texans that number 1 opportunity or the posibility of trading it for multiple picks. It's clear that the coaches and a good number of the players on the current roster won't be here in 2006. Why? Look at the record and look at the talent on the team. There's a reason the Texans are 2-13.

Many are looking at the big picture and long range development. They know what could possibly happen if the Texans get the first pick. There's nothing wrong with those of us who realize what the future could be like if the Texans lose and get the first pick. Just as there's nothing wrong with those who prefer the instant gratification of a win this Sunday - which could cause the Texans to drop to number 5 on the draft list. We are all fans with different views on what's best for the team.
SteelBlueToro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005   #6
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 221373 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

I become less impressed with our "professional" journalists in this town daily.
eriadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005   #7
Texan Asylum
Christian

Lack of competition...what happened to The Post?
Sponsored links
Old 12-29-2005   #8
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

"Remember Kato Kaelin, the freeloading, squinting witness for the prosecution in the O.J. Simpson case?
He was a real loser. But Kaelin turned his 15 minutes into a nice little nest egg and still is keeping 'em fooled. Just like Jason Babin."
I hope poor ole Jason Babin doesn't see this comment. On second thought,
it might be a motivational tool like none other. The guy had an injury early
in the year that was serious enough that season ending surgery was being
considered. I dunno...I didn't know Lopez was into these kinda Cheap Shots.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005   #9
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

there is a difference between a fan rooting for a loss... and a player trying to lose.

I hope the Texans lose on Sunday. I want the #1 pick. But I dont want us to TRY and lose.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005   #10
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10235 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy
"Remember Kato Kaelin, the freeloading, squinting witness for the prosecution in the O.J. Simpson case?
He was a real loser. But Kaelin turned his 15 minutes into a nice little nest egg and still is keeping 'em fooled. Just like Jason Babin."
Lopez is full of crap. Some of the stuff he writes is not fit for printing out and whiping my .... with. He's VERY speculative, and objective journalism seems to be one of the concepts he missed when he took his online journalist course. I hope Babin sees the Lopez comment, just like I hope Lopez reads mine.
Malloy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005   #11
monty0252006
Rookie

Exclamation Reconstruction-in-work

a real fan knows what is worth debating about, this year was season long practice/scrimage for the team i love to see play, but the time for reconstructioning is at hand.
monty0252006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005   #12
Doug
All Pro

This guy is a joke. I've seen a few of his other columns and it seems he's trying to be the Jerry Springer of print.
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005   #13
Texan Asylum
Christian

Grid...Probably one of the sanest posts I've read on the subject. Kinda like hoping your kid beats your best game. Yea I'm weird...
Old 12-29-2005   #14
MightyTExan
It's go time!

Rep Power: 19458 MightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respected

You Don't Play To Play.

You Play To Win!
MightyTExan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005   #15
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

what is the difference between resting your players in a meaningless game before the playoffs and a meaningless game at the end of the season?

we are playing for home field advantage in the draft so to speak and we should do whatever it takes to get it.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005   #16
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 76169 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy
I know this is too far back for the youngins, but I still grin remembering when Pastorini beat the ***** out of Dale Robertson with Bum standing right there. Maybe someone ought to look up that tape and send it to Lopez.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005   #17
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Lopez can stick it where the sun don't shine, didn't waste my time reading the whole article but from the bits and pieces posted looks to be the worst article ever...
Old 12-29-2005   #18
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 28635 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

So, comparisons to Kato, W. Hung, and Julia L-D..... I'm sorry, were there any bits of info in that article?

I've said it before.... pfft - Lopez. Here's your "dee-dee-dee" award for wanting to start some lame hype. Like we need his point of view to what makes a true fan.
OzzO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005   #19
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

The way I see it is this:

Do your best to win the game. If you win you're not the sorriest team in the league and are not worthy of a #1 pick but worthy of a #2 pick that many other teams want and you don't need.

If you lose, then you get the #1 pick and that's that.

But you don't try to lose for a guy that you don't even know for sure if he is coming out and might not because he doesn't wanna play for you, or he might be a flop.

What I am saying is the only certainty you have is to try and win. Oh and this is coming from a guy that has wanted Reggie Bush ever since last year.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005   #20
Buffi2
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 630 Buffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respected

[quote=El Tejano]The way I see it is this:

Do your best to win the game. If you win you're not the sorriest team in the league and are not worthy of a #1 pick but worthy of a #2 pick that many other teams want and you don't need.

If you lose, then you get the #1 pick and that's that.

But you don't try to lose for a guy that you don't even know for sure if he is coming out and might not because he doesn't wanna play for you, or he might be a flop.

What I am saying is the only certainty you have is to try and win. QUOTE]

Ditto. As far as Lopez is concerned, he is about as good at being a journalist as I would be doing open heart surgery.
Buffi2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read