Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 12-27-2005   #1
The Mighty Texan
Rookie

Default ABC Makes biggest Mistake in TV History!!!

Monday Night Football is OVER as we know it! I have sent many messages about this STUPID move leaving out 17 million viewers is Down Right STUPID!!! ABC will be dead last in the rating FOREVER now...

I will REFUSE to watch ANY ABC show from now on!!

The Mighty Dissapointed Texan!!

PS. I have cable but that ain't the point...
The Mighty Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005   #2
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mighty Texan
Then you will not be watching the Superbowl this year.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005   #3
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 16683 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316

If ABC gets rid of Football altogether (College and Pro)...the only thing on ABC I would watch is the George Lopez show.
Old 12-27-2005   #4
Texizgreat
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Texizgreat Send a message via Yahoo to Texizgreat

coming from the cable industry... The reason for this move is that ABC ownes ESPN. With that said ESPN is the MOST EXPENSIVE non preimium channel going. So... ESPN will now no doubt next season raise its rates to the cable companys then in turn cable companys must raise is package that has ESPN in it.

For example locally
Basic package does not carry espn 20 channles for 15ish dollars
Sandard package DOES carry espn 50 channels for 30 ish dollars
ESPN alone for in that package accounts for either $3.50 or $4.50 (need to look that up again)

Each customer that has standard package the cable co must pay ESPN (ABC) $3.50 or $4.50

to the person that said he would not watch ABC programming....well ESPN is ABC. That would be hard not to watch
Texizgreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005   #5
LBC_Justin
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 LBC_Justin is a Pro BowlerLBC_Justin is a Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mighty Texan
Monday Night Football is OVER as we know it! I have sent many messages about this STUPID move leaving out 17 million viewers is Down Right STUPID!!! ABC will be dead last in the rating FOREVER now...

The Mighty Dissapointed Texan!!

PS. I have cable but that ain't the point...
Personally I am glad about the change. No more 2-10 teams playing 4-8 teams on National TV. We will actually get the games we want to see on Sunday nights.

I don't care if MNF is on ESPN.
LBC_Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005   #6
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

I grew up with MNF in the early 70's - lived for Cosell's halftime highlights long before there was an ESPN Sportscenter - but I really don't get nostalgic about the ABC component. To me, the classic MNF broadcasts ended in the early 80's anyway so I don't care what network it's on as long as we get a game on Monday night.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005   #7
gwallaia

Rep Power: 63494 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

I argee AJ, when Cosell left and the classic Monday Night Football theme song changed to the Hank Williams version, the nostaglia was gone.

I can just hear Cosell's voice at halftime going over Sunday's action. "Arrowhead Stadium, the New York Football Giants in town to take on the Chiefs."

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-27-2005   #8
Huge
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP

But they're going to bring back Tim McGraw's half-time contribution, right!?!?! RIGHT!?!?

Edit: I was hoping the "sarcasm" sing wouldn't be needed.

MNF has sucked for a long, long time and it has had nothing to do with the two teams on the field.

Last edited by Huge; 12-28-2005 at 12:38 PM.
Huge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005   #9
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69328 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge
But they're going to bring back Tim McGraw's half-time contribution, right!?!?! RIGHT!?!?

MNF has sucked for a long, long time and it has had nothing to do with the two teams on the field.
agreed I really enjoyed that this year
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005   #10
gwallaia

Rep Power: 63494 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoTexans
what happened with the original idea that MNF would move to ESPN?
Huh? It's more than an idea now; it's a reality.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005   #11
CenTexNative
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to CenTexNative Send a message via Yahoo to CenTexNative

The main reason for ABC dropping Monday Night Football was due to dwindling broadcast tv audiences. But they did not want to drop it altogether. That's why it's going to ESPN2. I don't like it myself but can you really blame them for it?
CenTexNative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005   #12
Jack Bauer
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenTexNative
The main reason for ABC dropping Monday Night Football was due to dwindling broadcast tv audiences. But they did not want to drop it altogether. That's why it's going to ESPN2. I don't like it myself but can you really blame them for it?
MNF is still a top 10 show. Other than Lost and Desperate Housewives (who the heck watches that show?), what other show is rated that highly for ABC? Nothing. So this makes no sense to me. By the way, I am fairly certain it is going to ESPN, not ESPN2!
Jack Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005   #13
CenTexNative
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to CenTexNative Send a message via Yahoo to CenTexNative

It just might be ESPN. Either way I won't be able to see it. It still sucks.
CenTexNative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005   #14
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaShark316
If ABC gets rid of Football altogether (College and Pro)...the only thing on ABC I would watch is the George Lopez show.

How about another late night Info-mercial

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005   #15
HomeBred_Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 HomeBred_Texan is a Pro BowlerHomeBred_Texan is a Pro Bowler

Don't forget this was a trade off too. Now ABC will get the Sunday Night Game instead of ESPN. So we are not losing or gaining here. But I like the fact that ESPN will have total control over which games will be shown on MNF in the 2nd half of the season. If I heard correctly. We wont have to watch 2 losing teams battle for draft position.
Old 12-28-2005   #16
Tale Gator
________

Rep Power: 15 Tale Gator could be on the next Madden coverTale Gator could be on the next Madden coverTale Gator could be on the next Madden coverTale Gator could be on the next Madden coverTale Gator could be on the next Madden coverTale Gator could be on the next Madden cover

When 75% of your games have boring matchups it's hard to get folks to watch.
Tale Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005   #17
Jack Bauer
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tale Gator
When 75% of your games have boring matchups it's hard to get folks to watch.
Not too hard. MNF was still one of the top rated programs. I think this has more to do with trying to get more money out of cable operators for ESPN.
Jack Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005   #18
Txn_in_Oki
Lucky 13

Rep Power: 24148 Txn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respected

Like others are saying, MNF just hasn't seemed that relevent for a long time. I remember being a kid and it was a big deal to get to stay up for the game. Now you have SUnday night games, Thursday nights... nothing really special anymore.

Geez, I can still remember how I thought it was such a big deal when that other Houston football team finally got back on MNF. After years of futility they were back in the spotlight.

I think they lost.

Oh well.
Old 12-28-2005   #19
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeBred_Texan
Don't forget this was a trade off too. Now ABC will get the Sunday Night Game instead of ESPN. So we are not losing or gaining here. But I like the fact that ESPN will have total control over which games will be shown on MNF in the 2nd half of the season. If I heard correctly. We wont have to watch 2 losing teams battle for draft position.
NBC will get the Sunday night package.

MNF was a happening in the late 70's and early 80's. Cosell's highlight package and the accompanying music taught a generation how to play in slow motion. I am heading to Costa Rica today and my buddy I grew up with in Vegas is bringing his MNF highlight package for us to watch. It truly is one of those things that has spanned a lifetime as I was born in 1970.
Old 12-28-2005   #20
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

The NFL wanted to move the Network Primetime broadcast to Sunday night to make it easier to change out games. It is easier to tell a ticket holder that their Sunday noon game is now at 8pm (or vice versa) than it is to tell them it is now on Monday night. I'm not sure how many times a year that NBC will have this option, but it should allow for better Prime Time matchups, which could boost ratings.

ABC had the option of getting that deal but didn't want to mess up its winning combination of Desperate Housewives and Grey's Anatomy.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read