Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-27-2005   #1
HeartofHouston
Veteran

Default Orr / Peek / Babin

IF... we dont pick up a great parr rushing OLB/DE Tweener and stay in the 3-4 this offseason..

who would you start at the OLB positions??

I like what Orr has been doing for the team as of late.. and as i stated.. we're behind alot and he still manages to put up good sack numbers for the team.. imagine what he could do if he gets to pin his ears back and get after the QB when we have the lead..

Peek has great intensity (which alot of the times leads to DUMB penalities), good cover LB tho.. A Very high motor. he just kills us with stupid penalties..

Babin well I dont really have a lot of say about him.. he was not impressive to me in any game that I've seen from him.. He plays a bit slow and sloppy in my personal opinion..

----

In my opinion IF we dont pick up a good OLB for a 3-4 i would start..

Orr and Peek (hopefully our next coach will get Peek straight about the whole stupid penality thing..)
Old 12-27-2005   #2
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14555 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not sure what I think about our OLB's, but I'm sure wondering if the Astro's new left fielder can play ILB for us. Talk about a run stuffer.

Photo courtesy of Bobblehead from ClutchFans.net.

The Texan Question Marks
Welcome to "Sack City, USA"!
Hottoddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005   #3
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 85740 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toan
You forgot about Wong? He still good...
He's our other ILB along with Greenwood.
PapaL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005   #4
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCROD
He's our other ILB along with Greenwood.
That is our main problem. Greenwood is still playing ILB.
Old 12-27-2005   #5
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Personally, if we stayed with our group and made NO changes at all...my LB starters would be: Greenwood, Wong, Babin, Orr
Old 12-27-2005   #6
Reddevil63
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Reddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotReddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Send a message via AIM to Reddevil63 Send a message via Yahoo to Reddevil63

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan
That is our main problem. Greenwood is still playing ILB.
Greenwood isnt big enough to play OLB in the 3-4
Old 12-27-2005   #7
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3366 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

I would start Babin and Orr at OLB...
Old 12-27-2005   #8
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4640 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan279
I would start Babin and Orr at OLB...
That looked pretty good last week (Jags).

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005   #9
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3366 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783
That looked pretty good last week (Jags).
I didn't concentrate solely on Babin when our defense was on the field, but to me it seemed he was more comfortable coming out of a 3 point stance instead of a standing position...
Old 12-28-2005   #10
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144460 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Babin has been hurt most of the season ..... I think Babin and Orr are the best choice (If Healthy) ..... Peek has all the physical tools to be a Great OLB but just not the snap to go along with it .... Orr ahs made the most of his opportunity

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005   #11
Big B Texan Fan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Big B Texan Fan has been demoted to the practice squad

Hard to say. We're probably gonna go to a 4-3 of some sort if a coaching change occurs. There will more than likely be a total re-construction of our front 4 as well as our LB's. Denver got away with it with their front 4 and that will be the barometer. As far as the LB's go in a 4-3: Orr @olb Wong @mlb and Anderson @olb. Peek is gone after this season, Babin is the rotating back-up for the olb's and we'll either bring a 2nd string type mlb or draft in the 3rd, 4th, or 5th a mlb to give Polk some competition @ the mlb back-up. He'll likely lose that job. And as much as I hate to say it, cuz I love the guys effort, Troy Evans is a possible goner as well.

And that is just this season, next season will be very interesting regarding the LB's. It could also be our 1st round pick in the 07' draft.
Old 12-28-2005   #12
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Rep Power: 31247 Cjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrosion
Babin has been hurt most of the season ..... I think Babin and Orr are the best choice (If Healthy) ..... Peek has all the physical tools to be a Great OLB but just not the snap to go along with it .... Orr ahs made the most of his opportunity
In regards to Peek, I think our coaching staff thought that about another linebacker whom they let go and he signed with San Diego and became a pro bowler. Personally, I think we should keep Peek as a starter. I like his intensity that he shows for the whole game. A new coach can fix the penalty problem....there's just too much natural talent to pass up on.
Old 12-28-2005   #13
Frills
Veteran

I think Peek would do well under a coach who disiplines his players when they f-up
Frills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005   #14
Holden135
Veteran

I think next year the big training camp battle will be between Peek and Babin for the last OLB spot. I think Orr has played himself into a lock at one of the positions. I also think you will still see a bit of a tandem at the last olb spot between peek and babin to keep a fresh body on the field at all times.
Holden135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005   #15
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 53272 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

In the preseason i'd give them equal playing time and see who does best. Easy as that. I'd also give Pettway a look.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005   #16
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddevil63
Greenwood isnt big enough to play OLB in the 3-4
Geenwood isnt good enough to play MLB in the 3-4.

He isnt the run stuffer you need.

He makes his reads slower than David Carr.

He still has not adjusted to MLB yet.
Old 12-28-2005   #17
The Preacher
Veteran

Personally it's rough to hear how projects take a few years when Merriman comes out early and dominates. Dude is a freak though so I guess he doesn't count. It's definitely time these guys should become a force. If not, well expect another high pick next year. With that said bring in Parys Haralson in the 3rd to push these guys.
The Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005   #18
CowboysTexansFan
Veteran

On top of that, DeMarcus Ware of the Cowboys has also had a stellar rookie season, playing as a LB in the 3-4 defense for the first time. (Merriman played the 3-4 in college at Maryland.)

I mention that because Casserly has previously made the excuse that it takes 3 years for a college DE to learn to play LB in the 3-4.
CowboysTexansFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005   #19
V Man
Pumpkinhead

Rep Power: 18 V Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via MSN to V Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboysTexansFan
On top of that, DeMarcus Ware of the Cowboys has also had a stellar rookie season, playing as a LB in the 3-4 defense for the first time. (Merriman played the 3-4 in college at Maryland.)

I mention that because Casserly has previously made the excuse that it takes 3 years for a college DE to learn to play LB in the 3-4.
In fairness to our LB's, Merriman and Ware play for DC who play the 3-4 the way it is meant to be played (a go-get-after them mentality, not the sit back and read of the Texan's style).

Orr has earned his spot, move Wong back outside and draft a MLB in the second. Peek and Babin come in as reserves.
V Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005   #20
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881

Quote:
Originally Posted by V Man
In fairness to our LB's, Merriman and Ware play for DC who play the 3-4 the way it is meant to be played (a go-get-after them mentality, not the sit back and read of the Texan's style).

Orr has earned his spot, move Wong back outside and draft a MLB in the second. Peek and Babin come in as reserves.
If we do that then there goes one of our 2004 first round picks :brickwall

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read