Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-27-2005   #1
cptnbreakdance
Veteran

Default FA Pickups

Do you think we will go after the two pro bowl guards that are free agents this year? I forget their names but I know they are from the Saints and Seahawks. Having BOTH would be a godsend for this team especially if we were able to draft Bush. If ew draft Mcneil in the 2nd I could see us having 3/5 starters on the line be different from this year.
Old 12-27-2005   #2
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I think even if we don't draft Mcniel, there will be 3 out of 5 new starters on the line next year.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005   #3
Holden135
Veteran

I don't see how any solid free agent would want to come to Houston. Especially on our sorry o-line. Be ready to watch a line built by the draft, if it gets built at all.
Holden135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005   #4
MightyTExan
It's go time!

Rep Power: 14294 MightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respected

A big name coach or Bush would bring the high-priced FA's.
MightyTExan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005   #5
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyTExan
A big name coach or Bush would bring the high-priced FA's.
Not likely. We're in a similar boat as the Bengals were in not too long ago. We've had the expansion label for our first few years, and that tended to scare off some top tier FAs. After the 4th season we were supposed to look more like a legitimate NFL team that competes for the playoffs, but that obviously hasn't been the case this season. We're the lowest of the bottom dwellers, and our prospects of rising to the middle of the pack next year aren't looking promising. What do you say to a big name FA to entice him to come to Houston? "The weather is nice." "We'll be competitive someday in the future...possibly the near future."

I don't see how a coach would fix that. The Bengals still got little legitimate interest from FAs after picking up Marvin Lewis. It wasn't until they looked to be moving in the right direction that they got any legit interest. I could be wrong, but I think we'll see more Orlando Pace type scenarios when we deal with premiere FAs. We'll throw gobs of money at them, and they'll turn around and use our offers to up their price with other NFL teams. I hope I'm wrong and we do make a big splash in FA, but I don't see it happening at the moment.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005   #6
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 205206 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasguy346
Not likely. We're in a similar boat as the Bengals were in not too long ago. We've had the expansion label for our first few years, and that tended to scare off some top tier FAs. After the 4th season we were supposed to look more like a legitimate NFL team that competes for the playoffs, but that obviously hasn't been the case this season. We're the lowest of the bottom dwellers, and our prospects of rising to the middle of the pack next year aren't looking promising. What do you say to a big name FA to entice him to come to Houston? "The weather is nice." "We'll be competitive someday in the future...possibly the near future."

I don't see how a coach would fix that. The Bengals still got little legitimate interest from FAs after picking up Marvin Lewis. It wasn't until they looked to be moving in the right direction that they got any legit interest. I could be wrong, but I think we'll see more Orlando Pace type scenarios when we deal with premiere FAs. We'll throw gobs of money at them, and they'll turn around and use our offers to up their price with other NFL teams. I hope I'm wrong and we do make a big splash in FA, but I don't see it happening at the moment.

Or, we could tell the free agents "Look, we've gone out and gotten our own Marvin Lewis (whoever, you get the point) and we're drafting to fix the problems on this team. We recognize that the biggest problem on this team is the O-line, so we drafted a LT in the first round and we're trying to sign the best OG available" .... might work.

Then again, we probably won't address the needs of this team appropriately.
eriadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005   #7
Texans86
All Pro

Most of Free Agency is done before the draft, so unless we have the top pick, we can't say we have Bush to entice someone to come. Even then, players know we could trade away the pick. Then they are under contract and no Bush. I don't think Bush will be a major factor in our free agent pick ups.
Old 12-29-2005   #8
hot pickle
السلام عليكم

Rep Power: 2074 hot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respected

it will cost alot of money to convince big named players to come to houston, but look at the blue jays, they are very good and they showed some players big bills and they signed them, so if we do sign a good pro-bowl type player we will have to over pay him
hot pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005   #9
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 205206 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans86
Most of Free Agency is done before the draft, so unless we have the top pick, we can't say we have Bush to entice someone to come. Even then, players know we could trade away the pick. Then they are under contract and no Bush. I don't think Bush will be a major factor in our free agent pick ups.
Yeah, but I didn't say anything about drafting Bush - I said draft to address the needs of this team
eriadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005   #10
monty0252006
Rookie

Exclamation Wwyd?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans86
we have had the same o-line problem for the last 4 years now, wand and wade, both have been getting top dollar for what, holding a position, bush is looking at the future, his future, davis is aihgt, morency is aight, wells is finding himself, and bush would be a addition of course, but then that will mean that we would have to change the whole offense, back to the run-and-shoot of yester year, shh!! don't let those guys at ESPN hear this
monty0252006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005   #11
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by monty0252006
we have had the same o-line problem for the last 4 years now, wand and wade, both have been getting top dollar for what, holding a position, bush is looking at the future, his future, davis is aihgt, morency is aight, wells is finding himself, and bush would be a addition of course, but then that will mean that we would have to change the whole offense, back to the run-and-shoot of yester year, shh!! don't let those guys at ESPN hear this
Wand only counts about $557,000 against the cap this season...
Old 12-29-2005   #12
monty0252006
Rookie

Question someone, anyone better

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan279
Wand only counts about $557,000 against the cap this season...
can be used in bringing in somebody who really has more heart than that guy, better yet a 4-5 second player, than a 2-3 second player
monty0252006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005   #13
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by monty0252006
can be used in bringing in somebody who really has more heart than that guy, better yet a 4-5 second player, than a 2-3 second player
You aren't going to get much in the NFL for around $550,000 a year and not sure what you are talking about someone else having more heart, the guy has hardly played at all this season and did a decent job last season...
Old 12-29-2005   #14
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11 Coach C. is a Pro BowlerCoach C. is a Pro Bowler

LeCharles Bentley will be interested if the Texans pursue him highly. The guy loves the south, but likely wants out of NO. They may franchise him, but that would leave Darren Howard out in the cold. Usually an interior lineman does not take precedence over a DE, but with Will Smith's emergence Howard could be gone. Bentley would be our guy, but Hutchinson would not leave a top ball club to come to a bad one. As far as attracting players to our team, we have a great city and some of the best facilities out there. The Texans are an attractive team to any free agent, as long as we show them we are committed to winning.
Coach C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005   #15
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach C.
LeCharles Bentley will be interested if the Texans pursue him highly. .
This is a guy we need to GO after. I think he is one who WOULD come to the Teaxans and it would help a lot in the middle where I think most of the line problems are. I would love to get Hutch, but as you said, he won't leave a winning team for us.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005   #16
Bobo
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptnbreakdance
Do you think we will go after the two pro bowl guards that are free agents this year? I forget their names but I know they are from the Saints and Seahawks. Having BOTH would be a godsend for this team especially if we were able to draft Bush. If ew draft Mcneil in the 2nd I could see us having 3/5 starters on the line be different from this year.
You are dreaming if you think the Texans will get any major FAs this year. The only FAs they have a chance of getting are folks that nobody else wants. Good FAs want to be on a SB contender. That's why the Texans haven't landed any major FAs -- ever.
Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read