Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-26-2005   #1
axman40
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 38657 axman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default This scenario envisions USC's Bush in Chargers' backfield

On the stuff he smears under his eyes to shadow them, Reggie Bush imprints the number 619. It is an area code. Dial San Diego for greatness.

Bush, clearly, is an individual with some feelings for his origins. San Diego, permit me to note, pridefully, has delivered three other running backs onto the stage in Manhattan where the Heisman Trophy is presented: Marcus Allen, Rashaan Salaam and Ricky Williams, but I don’t believe I would be demeaning them by suggesting that none of the members of this troika possessed Bush’s gifts.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW.../magee2022.htm

Old 12-26-2005   #2
jacquescas
Hall of Fame

there is no way in hell we make that trade. i'm sorry but it wont happen, plus bush wont be happy playing behind LT who can shoulder the load. Plus if the chargers had the first pick chances are they would use it on defense or offensive lineman not a running back. Didn't they get darren Sproles last year to back up LT?

seems like wishful thinking.
jacquescas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005   #3
Shamrock
Rookie

I've been reading Jerry Magee for nearly 40 years. He's a doddering old fool, and a complete moron.
Shamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005   #4
big homey
Veteran

Keep dreaming...
big homey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005   #5
TexasJedi
Hall of Fame

Blatant ism!
TexasJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005   #6
sakebomb
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1859 sakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respected

What a bunch of crap. I've read better write ups on this message board.
sakebomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005   #7
Napa Auto Parts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 Napa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden cover

I wouldnt mind rivers just becuase he would be and upgrade over our broken carr but he is not worth the 1st selection overall. they better throw in tomlinson with rivers.
Napa Auto Parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-26-2005   #8
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamrock
I've been reading Jerry Magee for nearly 40 years. He's a doddering old fool, and a complete moron.
Why have you been reading him for 40 years then?

This is probably the most far-fetched draft scenario I have seen yet. The proposed trade would do nothing to help our team and wouldn't really do much for San Diego either. I have to assume he meant this as a joke, otherwise he is clearly a moron when it comes to football knowledge.

Last edited by MorKnolle; 12-26-2005 at 11:28 PM.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005   #9
Shamrock
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorKnolle
Why have you been reading him for 40 years then?

This is probably the most far-fetched draft scenario I have seen yet. The proposed trade would do nothing to help our team and wouldn't really do much for San Diego either. I have to assume he meant this as a joke, otherwise he is clearly a moron when it comes to football knowledge.
I grew up in San Diego, but only read his crap when someone points it out. He was the #2 sportswriter for the SD Union when I was a kid, under Jack Murphy ( a GREAT sportswriter).

Magee gets caught up in hype, and homers more for hometown (San Diego) kids than he does the Chargers. Magee never thinks things through when writing his moronic ramblings, but uses the emotion of a homer and ball watcher to foist his thoughts on the public. I've also never seen him go back and admit to being wrong, when he clearly has been in nearly every column that I've ever read.

You are right. It is far fetched, and doesn't even make sense for San Diego. Not cap wise, and not on the field. It makes no sense for Houston either. It gives the Texans an unproven QB to replace the QB that could still develop. So they spend two more seasons developing a QB?

I've been rethinking Reggie Bush's value to a team. How is he going to be an every down RB? He wasn't in college. To be the overall #1, a RB should be an every down guy. Bush will be used best on the edge - whether it be sweeps and screens, or in the slot as a WR. Also as a KR/PR. I doubt he would be able to take the pounding between the tackles as an every down RB should. Having a two back set with D. Davis also is wrong, as you lose one blocker. One player is just there as a decoy, but that will only work on limited occassions.

I'm leaning more towards the Texans trading their pick if either Bush or Leinart is on the board. Trade down just a few spots if possible. Getting a solid LT (D'Brickashaw Ferguson) and more draft picks would help the team in the long run, and make them closer to playoff contenders than picking a slot back that can't play every down.
Shamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005   #10
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 140741 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
and Ricky Williams, but I don’t believe I would be demeaning them by suggesting that none of the members of this troika possessed Bush’s gifts.
this guy's idiocy & draft stupidity aside, ricky was twice the prospect bush is. remember that if he didnt have "Master P" as his agent, ricky would've been the first pick and the highest paid draftee ever. at the time of the draft, ricky held twenty (say that out loud TWENTY) rushing records. this was achieved despite his first two years being at FULL BACK. if i could fathom bush using his size as a rb to his advantage (ie: between the tackles), i'd see him in similar category. but since he cuts behind perfectly sealed weaksides (95% blocking, 5% running) i wont give him the credit of anything other than speed & the ability to make a college CB miss in the open field.....

Last edited by Scooter; 12-27-2005 at 12:29 AM.
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005   #11
Jack Bauer
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter
this guy's idiocy & draft stupidity aside, ricky was twice the prospect bush is. remember that if he didnt have "Master P" as his agent, ricky would've been the first pick and the highest paid draftee ever. at the time of the draft, ricky held twenty (say that out loud TWENTY) rushing records. this was achieved despite his first two years being at FULL BACK. if i could fathom bush using his size as a rb to his advantage (ie: between the tackles), i'd see him in similar category. but since he cuts behind perfectly sealed weaksides (95% blocking, 5% running) i wont give him the credit of anything other than speed & the ability to make a college CB miss in the open field.....
Ricky would NOT have been the first pick of the 99 draft, even if Steinberg had been his agent. The only way he would have been the top pick in the draft is if Ditka had the first pick.
Jack Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005   #12
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 140741 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephyr
Ricky would NOT have been the first pick of the 99 draft, even if Steinberg had been his agent. The only way he would have been the top pick in the draft is if Ditka had the first pick.
the first 3 picks were tim couch, donovan mcnabb, & akili smith ... unless there are numbers that i'm missing (or an explanation as to why qb's were the utmost priority), i believe that ricky would've easily been the top pick. '99 was a killer top 20 draft, and 2 of the top 3 were busts. there's probably an explanation why it started that way, but i'm not sure why anyone would choose against the obvious best player in the draft. ricky excelled as a FB in college, broke every record as a RB in college, won the heisman, and waited until his senior year to declare. what more could you ask for as a #1 pick? mind you, i'm not a UT fan ... but got to see ricky personally when he ran over the guy i was patting on the back (dat nguyen). i've never been so impressed by a college player.

(dont let this arguement distract from topic ... i hate deterring from the discussion)
Old 12-27-2005   #13
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 109227 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think I would trade Carr for Rivers much less our number 1 pick. However anything is possible as long as Casserely is making the calls.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005   #14
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 398918 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

If we get the no. 1 pick, I sincerely believe that Mr. McNair will pick Bush (if available) because of the hype alone. He's a business man, and he wants to sell tickets. Reggie would definitely fit his agenda to sell out the stadium with season tickets and give fans optimism towards the future.

I'm undecided about Bush. But I won't be surprised if we get him should we end up with that no. 1 pick. It's just too logical and would make the most sense from a business pov.

Jerry Magee is day dreaming on the job.
Old 12-27-2005   #15
Scooter
Funky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel
If we get the no. 1 pick, I sincerely believe that Mr. McNair will pick Bush (if available) because of the hype alone. He's a business man, and he wants to sell tickets.
i entirely disagree, but this seems to tie to the entire bush vs trading down debate. playoffs and championships will bring twice the revenue of barry sanders or EARL CAMPBELL. i love earl to death ... i'd literally give a limb for a full earl autographed collection, but he did NOT fill the stadium, the OILERS did. no successfull business owner is this short sighted, nomatter how inexperienced. characteristics of leadership, as i've posted in regards to casserly in capers (both lacking) ... are experience, the ability to delegate responsibly, and seeing the big picture. mcnair has two of the three at this point (lacking experience) ... he wont make the mistake of thinking that the 3rd quarter of 2006's sales will carry 2007's expected revenue.

incase this seems muddled: mcnair will NOT influence draft decisions based purely upon short term sales reports ... no owner in this league would. but for the sake of arguement, if anything he'd be more influenced to improve the offensive line and defensive lb's (assuming 3-4), based on sales. in this scenario, instead of drafting one superstar worth 1500 jerseys, he's more likely to fill 5 guys worth 500 jerseys each (carr, DD, d-rob, glenn, sharper ... outnumbered AJ's jerseys more than 10-1).

Last edited by Scooter; 12-27-2005 at 03:27 AM.
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005   #16
rittenhouserobz
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to rittenhouserobz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns
I don't think I would trade Carr for Rivers much less our number 1 pick. However anything is possible as long as Casserely is making the calls.
I give CC a little more credit than this. He knows what the team needs. The problem is that he seems to address them in the wrong order.
Old 12-27-2005   #17
Frills
Veteran

I read the article and I want my 2 minutes back.

There's a reason Rivers hasn't seen any playing time, he couldn't beat Brees for the job. Brees is decent, but not an excellent QB.

The texans will trade down, draft Fergueson, and get a few more picks for next year...least thats what they should be thinking.
Frills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005   #18
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 109227 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rittenhouserobz
I give CC a little more credit than this. He knows what the team needs. The problem is that he seems to address them in the wrong order.
The team has needed an offensive line for 4 years. So where in his list of priorities does this get addressed? After we draft another running back?
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read