Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

View Poll Results: If Bush is gone, what do you do with your 2-5 pick?
Matt Leinart (QB) 3 5.26%
D'Brickashaw Ferguson (OT) 23 40.35%
Mario Williams (DE) 0 0%
A.J. Hawk (ILB) 10 17.54%
Jimmy Williams (CB) 2 3.51%
Mathias Kiwanuka (DE) 0 0%
Eric Winston (OT) 4 7.02%
Chad Greenway (OLB) 0 0%
Other 0 0%
Trade down for more picks 15 26.32%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-26-2005   #1
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21867 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected
Default If Bush is gone, who do you pick with your top 2-5 pick?

If we assume for a moment that we're going to win the San Francisco game & miss out on the #1 overall pick, what would you do with your #1 pick (2-5)?

If I've got the #2 pick, I'll try to trade down & pick up more picks. Otherwise, I'm taking D'Brick.

The Texan Bull Rush
Welcome to "Sack City, USA"!
Hottoddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005   #2
stevo3883
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottoddie
If we assume for a moment that we're going to win the San Francisco game & miss out on the #1 overall pick, what would you do with your #1 pick (2-5)?

If I've got the #2 pick, I'll try to trade down & pick up more picks. Otherwise, I'm taking D'Brick.
I trade down. Dbrick isnt worth the #2 pick
Old 12-26-2005   #3
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottoddie
Otherwise, I'm taking D'Brick.
If we go 4-3, many say we will have to address the need of a MLB so I guess
that means AJ Hawk. Especially when it is a strong Draft for O tackles and
might realisticaaly expect good talent still available in the second round.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005   #4
sprtsfanatic
All Pro

Im with steveo....no way in hell do i pick da'brick with the #2 when you can get him at a much lower spot....trade down and pick up more picks
sprtsfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005   #5
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72199 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I chose D'Brick, but I would trade down from #2--just not from 3,4, or 5.
HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005   #6
CenTexNative
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to CenTexNative Send a message via Yahoo to CenTexNative

We need good linemen on the offensive line. If Bush is not an option I say strenhthen the o-line.
CenTexNative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005   #7
big homey
Veteran

If it's the #2, trade down. If we pick lower, take D'Brick.

Also, isn't Hawk an OLB (or at least projected as one)?
big homey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-26-2005   #8
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Even if we have a shot at Bush with the #1 I say we trade down and get more picks and pick the best OL available (my current opinion is Winston, but we'll see after the combine and workouts). If we end up with a pick in the 4-5 range we might not be able to trade down so take our stud OLineman there if we can't trade down a couple spots, but definitely if we're in the 1-3 range I say we trade down. If we were to decide to go with a defensive pick, I'd either take the best CB available or the best DE if we are going to switch to a 4-3, but I would not take a LB in the 1st round.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005   #9
sprtsfanatic
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorKnolle
but I would not take a LB in the 1st round.
Your kidding right??? have you not seen the duo thats coming out of Ohio this year?? Hawk and Carpenter will surely be gone in the first round.
sprtsfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005   #10
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtsfanatic
Your kidding right??? have you not seen the duo thats coming out of Ohio this year?? Hawk and Carpenter will surely be gone in the first round.
I'm not saying I don't think they will go in the 1st round, I'm saying if I were the Texans management I would not take one in the 1st round.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005   #11
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21867 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by big homey
Also, isn't Hawk an OLB (or at least projected as one)?
You're right. My mistake.

The Texan Bull Rush
Old 12-26-2005   #12
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

You know, as much as I want us to use our #1 pick on a LT, I'm starting to change my opinion a little. D'Brick is the only OL that I'd take with a top 5 pick. If he's gone before we pick, I'd have to take (in this order) Mario Williams (would hate to pass on the next Julius Peppers), A.J.Hawk, or Jimmy Williams. If this happens, then I'd take the best available OT (Colledge?) with my 2nd round pick.

The Texan Bull Rush
Old 12-26-2005   #13
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

If the Texans have a 2-5 pick there is no sense in getting cute & muffing the selection like they did last year so lets get us a franchise tackle named D'Brick
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005   #14
Mathis13
Veteran

trade down we have way too many holes
Mathis13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005   #15
royce1054
All Pro

Send a message via MSN to royce1054 Send a message via Yahoo to royce1054

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy
If we go 4-3, many say we will have to address the need of a MLB so I guess
that means AJ Hawk. Especially when it is a strong Draft for O tackles and
might realisticaaly expect good talent still available in the second round.
IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF

all you can say.

you should say this until we sign that kind of coach
royce1054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005   #16
royce1054
All Pro

Send a message via MSN to royce1054 Send a message via Yahoo to royce1054

who cares we would trade down anyways
royce1054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005   #17
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

if we dont have the number one overall, i would probally be incline to take the top rated LT or mario williams if we have a top 5 pick. If we were to trade down to around 14 I would take a LB: Brooks or Poluz or maybe even kiwi if he is there.

this draft is stocked no matter how you look at it.
Old 12-27-2005   #18
Napa Auto Parts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Napa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden cover

I say we draft matt leinart and hold him for ramsom until the jets or saints give us there 1st and 3rd and 1st next year and hell if that doesnt work out we win anyway we would finally have a QB that might actually make it in this league. but i would much rather have the extra picks if we cant have a hairy Bush.
Napa Auto Parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005   #19
CenTexNative
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to CenTexNative Send a message via Yahoo to CenTexNative

I would have to agree with Napa...to a certain extent. Grab a big name and hang on to him until we get good picks for them.
CenTexNative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005   #20
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 87379 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

assuming that we lose and get the 4th pick, i'd still probably trade down (maybe it's just hype, but comparitively this seems to be a MEAN draft). if we got the top pick, i'd personally trade down twice. what i would be looking for as a GM would be upgrading overall team talent as quickly as possible and letting the next HC get who he thinks could get this team started. even if of the 5(?) choices, 1 ends up a starter and 4 end up as backups, we've upgraded over the current situation (of backups who wouldnt make any other team's practice squad). if we go OL in the first with the trade-down, and tight end by the 3rd, we've got two starters. with any luck, between the gambling in 2nd day & the additional first day picks we'll find legitimate backups/depth at linebacker & secondary (if not starters), along with potential across the board at bpa. the overall upgrade of team talent is my main interest.

with regards to "you know who" ... I WOULD NOT DRAFT BARRY SANDERS if i had even the slightest idea that we could upgrade the rest of the team by giving him up. "you know who" will NOT be as good as barry, so take it for what it's worth.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read