Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 12-25-2005   #1
Texas_Thrill
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Texas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballotTexas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Default Texans for DEFENSE with #1 pick....

Obviously this means a trade down but....

I'm definitely not against going defense with our first pick.

Be it AJ Hawk, Jimmy Williams....

Is anyone else in favor of addressing the Defense right now?
Old 12-25-2005   #2
royce1054
All Pro

Send a message via MSN to royce1054 Send a message via Yahoo to royce1054

this is a strong possibility. Pbuc, Babin, Peek and Orr are all FA's some RFA some UFA. Chances are only 2 maybe 3 will be back. So this could happen. I have been trying to put this thought in peoples heads but some people are so locked in and have this tunnel vision they cant see whats really going on.
royce1054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005   #3
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 140 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

IMO we have one above average LB and one above average CB and a decent dline. Other than that our defense is terrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005   #4
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by royce1054
this is a strong possibility. Pbuc, Babin, Peek and Orr are all FA's some RFA some UFA. Chances are only 2 maybe 3 will be back. So this could happen. I have been trying to put this thought in peoples heads but some people are so locked in and have this tunnel vision they cant see whats really going on.
The people out of those four I would like to see back: Buchanon, Babin, Orr. Peek can take his emotions elsewhere.

I am actually for taking the best LB in the draft as of this week, but it is not Hawk for sure. Poluz or Brooks are the two I would want to draft. And maybe Giles or Joseph or McNeil in the second.
Old 12-25-2005   #5
royce1054
All Pro

Send a message via MSN to royce1054 Send a message via Yahoo to royce1054

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan
The people out of those four I would like to see back: Buchanon, Babin, Orr. Peek can take his emotions elsewhere.

I am actually for taking the best LB in the draft as of this week, but it is not Hawk for sure. Poluz or Brooks are the two I would want to draft. And maybe Giles or Joseph or McNeil in the second.
Joesph is the only that might be there. McNeil has to do some serious dropping i have seen him go in the top 15 on alot of mocks. I will have to see whats going on with him. Giles will go 20-30 area. Unless we trade down and trade back up he wont be there.
royce1054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005   #6
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by royce1054
Joesph is the only that might be there. McNeil has to do some serious dropping i have seen him go in the top 15 on alot of mocks. I will have to see whats going on with him. Giles will go 20-30 area. Unless we trade down and trade back up he wont be there.
I think your sources are very off from everyone elses. McNeil is strictly a RT in the NFL. He is projected as an early to mid second rounder. Giles is a G, and has very little chance of going in the first. Maybe to Denver or Indy. He will not go in the 20-30 range unless a team is really reaching.
Old 12-25-2005   #7
bigtex77
Veteran

Default Possibilities for next season

Feel free to chastise me for this but if we were to miss out on Reggie Bush would it make sense to draft someone like A.J. Hawk from OSU? I was thinking if we have a new coaching staff that we would likely move to a 4-3 defense, if so could Hawk play middle backer flanked by Wong, Orr or Babin and move Antwaan Peek back to DE? Just wanted to hear some thoughts. Also if this has already been covered, please direct me to the thread. Thanks.
Sponsored links
Old 12-25-2005   #8
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

moving per request
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005   #9
J-Storm
Veteran

Send a message via MSN to J-Storm

Yeah, I don't see why we couldn't address any glaring weaknesses on the opposite side of the ball besides the O-Line if we can get the right player for the right position. If we can trade away Reggie Bush for more picks that help both sides and the D is an obvious 1st up choice at a lower draft position, I'm all for it, as long as it helps so we don't have this talk about #1 pick next year (2 1st overall picks in 5 yrs isn't great seat filling details)!
Old 12-26-2005   #10
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I wouldn't mind it if we took Mario Williams or Jimmy Williams in the first round.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005   #11
Holden135
Veteran

Big Tex i wouldn't be surprised at all if we moved to a 4-3 next year or in the coming years if we have a coaching change. In that case you would see Peek move to Defensive end. If that were to happen you wouldnt see Babin in a Texans uniform anymore since he doesn't fit in well. Greenwood is a good fit at mlb but i don't know how orr would stack up at olb in that scheme.
Holden135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005   #12
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden135
Big Tex i wouldn't be surprised at all if we moved to a 4-3 next year or in the coming years if we have a coaching change. In that case you would see Peek move to Defensive end. If that were to happen you wouldnt see Babin in a Texans uniform anymore since he doesn't fit in well. Greenwood is a good fit at mlb but i don't know how orr would stack up at olb in that scheme.
I wouldn't count on that. He could probably play stronside linebacker in a 4-3....and situational pass rusher at the very least. He won't be cut.

Old 12-26-2005   #13
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 47040 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
I wouldn't mind it if we took Mario Williams or Jimmy Williams in the first round.
are you suggesting the Texans change schemes- to a 4-3?

but if the Texans are staying with the 3-4 I wouldn't mind if they took Haloti Ngata. He is the best NT I've ever seen coming out of College & you know whats funny (well not really) but I predicted the Texans would be picking somewhere between 18th-21st in the 06 draft, so I did not think we (the Texans) would even have a shot at him. now unless we trade down or have the 4th pick it seems like too high to draft him :brickwall
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005   #14
Vinny
shiny happy fan

No way I take a nose tackle with a top 5 pick. I'd take a CB or a dominant pass rusher this high though.....

Old 12-26-2005   #15
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 47040 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
No way I take a nose tackle with a top 5 pick. I'd take a CB or a dominant pass rusher this high though.....
yeah I know

the value side of the equation is just not there, QB-RB-WR-LT-DE-CB is more of a rough order by position. so if we have the 4th pick then Ferguson would be the logical choice.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005   #16
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover
are you suggesting the Texans change schemes- to a 4-3?
but if the Texans are staying with the 3-4 I wouldn't mind if they took Haloti Ngata.
I've read a lot about Ngata, but wouldn't think we'd use our top pick on him,
even if we were going to be drafting much lower than we are. Afterall, we used our #1 last year for a DT. But Ngata and his Oregon teammates play the Sooners this thursday in the Holiday Bowl and I'll be checking it out cause I've never seen this guy who some describe as "special" among D linemen.
But on the subject of us using our top pick for a D player, that for obvious
reasons becomes a stronger likehood if we do convert to the 4-3.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005   #17
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy
I've read a lot about Ngata, but wouldn't think we'd use our top pick on him,
even if we were going to be drafting much lower than we are. Afterall, we used our #1 last year for a DT. But Ngata and his Oregon teammates play the Sooners this thursday in the Holiday Bowl and I'll be checking it out cause I've never seen this guy who some describe as "special" among D linemen.
But on the subject of us using our top pick for a D player, that for obvious
reasons becomes a stronger likehood if we do convert to the 4-3.
2-gap linemen generally drop in the draft and one-gap linemen usually rise. As an example...

Vince Wilfork was talked about as "special" all year by the 'draftsperts' then fell to the bottom half of the draft (two gap guy). Dewayne Robertson was a fast riser and went in the top 10 his year since he had one-gap pass rushing skills, but most of the public didn't see his worth that high at this time (NFL playoffs) in his draft.

Old 12-26-2005   #18
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 140 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

I would like us to use the 4-3 as our base defense but still throw in the 3-4 occasionaly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005   #19
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden135
Babin will not e cut. He can get to the QB still. Peek is in danger of losing his roster spot IMO. Greenwood is NOT a freaking MLB. He is a OLB, regardless of the system he is in. He does not posess the ability to stop the run and he makes his reads slower than david carr. :brickwall
Old 12-26-2005   #20
Goldeagle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Goldeagle is a Pro BowlerGoldeagle is a Pro Bowler
Send a message via Yahoo to Goldeagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Thrill
Obviously this means a trade down but....

I'm definitely not against going defense with our first pick.

Be it AJ Hawk, Jimmy Williams....

Is anyone else in favor of addressing the Defense right now?
Not at all. Build the O-line we have all known they needed to build since day 3 of the organization. You can get some decent LBs and Safeties in the 3-5 rounds just look at the decent guys we have playing.
Goldeagle is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read