Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 12-23-2005   #1
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default What are you looking for in the second??

What position are you looking for in the second round? What players are you looking for to be there? Enough talk about bush and our first round pick. We need help in the second and third rounds.

my hopes to be there: LB from pen state, ahmad brooks, jason allen, michael huff,

my hopes to be there in the 3rd: manny lawson, elvis dumervile, Luiti, davin joseph...(long shot), charles gorden

this is for the second and third only, and try to explain why you want people there please. it will make for an interesting post if we all show intelligence.
Old 12-23-2005   #2
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

some guys will inevitably fall, some for no apparent reason. Who do you think will fall and have your eye on for our second and 2 third round picks we will actually have this year?
Old 12-23-2005   #3
stevo3883
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan
What position are you looking for in the second round? What players are you looking for to be there? Enough talk about bush and our first round pick. We need help in the second and third rounds.

my hopes to be there: LB from pen state, ahmad brooks, jason allen, michael huff,

my hopes to be there in the 3rd: manny lawson, elvis dumervile, Luiti, davin joseph...(long shot), charles gorden

this is for the second and third only, and try to explain why you want people there please. it will make for an interesting post if we all show intelligence.

there is a 0% chance Huff and Brooks fall to the second round
Old 12-23-2005   #4
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree with Stevo there.. I see both of them going in the 20-30 range.

Who I want in the second is entirely dependent on who we take in the first though.

OT Jonathen Scott is a promising prospect that could fall. Might make a very good RT for us.

CB Tye Hill also interests me in the second... hes small, but talented. Since he would obviously be our #2 CB, his size may not be too much of an issue.

TE Leonard Pope could be a nice pickup. Hes huge..but im not sure about his receiving skills.

OG Max Jean-Gilles could fall to us... he would be a great pickup to bolster the interior of our Oline.. and would be a great fit at our most needed spot on the oline (imo) Right Guard.

DT Roderique Wright COULD fall to us. If he does I think we need to pounce on him.

those are my picks i guess.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005   #5
Big B Texan Fan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Big B Texan Fan has been demoted to the practice squad

Wouldn't mind getting Leonard Pope, TE out of Georgia in the second. Thats kinda like drafting a lineman. Dude is huge. Still wanna see what his combine and proday #'s are though he looks good on film. Not that I'm actually breaking down film on the guy but rather his games.

In the 3rd I'm crossed. It would be nice to get a solid O-lineman in FA so we can splurge in the 3rd with a big bodied possesion WR or a mean and nasty LB with an attitude.

Don't be surprised if we go CB in the 2nd. After Dunta, we don't have anyone who can cover any body.
Old 12-23-2005   #6
Texas_Thrill
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Texas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballotTexas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

I don't care who we get in the first.

My second round pick needs to be an o-lineman.

If we draft a lineman in the first this just gives us MORE depth and talent.

If we don't well let's not freaking wait until the 5th round like we did last year. GET SOME QUALITY!!!!

Third round I want to see a LB or Safety.

I'd even be willing to entertain a trade back into the first round to grab a Huff.
Old 12-23-2005   #7
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo3883
there is a 0% chance Huff and Brooks fall to the second round
huff is less likely to fall, but if brooks declares, he has to prove he is completely ready and then compete with all the other top LB's.

I was more or less looking for a top tier MLB.

My revised list:

2nd: whichever top 5 LB falls to us. ILB or OLB, we need them all.

3rd: i'll stick with lawson, Luiti, and Dumervile

*note: one of the top LB's will fall to us in the second. If we trade down we could be looking at two second round picks, if not one will still be suffice. The beast from penn state (who's name i cant spell and dont have time to look up) shouldnt fall, but he has not been hyped much nationally until his awards this year. Jason Allen could also be a steal for any team in the second.
Old 12-23-2005   #8
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Working with the assumption that we have taken an OT with the first I would want us to take a TE with the second, Marcedes Lewis or Lenard Pope would work for me. After that it will depend on who we have picked up in FA. If we have grabed a guy like the Saints C/G then pick a defensive guy. If we haven't grabed someone like that then we should go for an interior O-lineman like Jean-Giles if he happens to be there or one similar. Then with the second 3 take the defensive guy. I know a lot folks are looking for some sort of LB, but I would go with a NT as Payne is getting older and gets injured easy. The strength of any club is the lines and I think this would be a prudent move.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005   #9
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11 Coach C. is a Pro BowlerCoach C. is a Pro Bowler

The second we should be looking for Davin Joseph or an interior O-Lineman. If we pick up an extra second, we go CB or LB/DE whichever is better at that point. In the third we need to look at safety(Slay will likely fall to the fourth so this could be another OL) and LB/DE whichever we did not pick in the second. We dont need a TE, so that would be a second day pick if I waste one on a TE at all. If David Thomas of UT is around in the 5th maybe I consider it. After that I am going to look for guys like Marcus Maxey or Devin Hester if he comes out.
Coach C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005   #10
stevo3883
All Pro

Quote:
huff is less likely to fall, but if brooks declares, he has to prove he is completely ready and then compete with all the other top LB's.

I was more or less looking for a top tier MLB.

My revised list:

2nd: whichever top 5 LB falls to us. ILB or OLB, we need them all.

3rd: i'll stick with lawson, Luiti, and Dumervile

*note: one of the top LB's will fall to us in the second. If we trade down we could be looking at two second round picks, if not one will still be suffice. The beast from penn state (who's name i cant spell and dont have time to look up) shouldnt fall, but he has not been hyped much nationally until his awards this year. Jason Allen could also be a steal for any team in the second.
brooks athleticism promises him a top 15-20 pick if healthly.
Old 12-23-2005   #11
Sarg01
Hall of Fame

Quote:

I just call him Poz. I think it's Posluszny, though. I'll be pleasantly surprised if he makes it through round one, though. Certainly possible with all the top flight linebackers this year, but the guy did win the Butkus, so he's hardly low profile for scouts.
Sarg01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005   #12
Frills
Veteran

Hoping TE Mercedes Lewis from UCLA falls to the 2nd...but I doubt it will happen
Frills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005   #13
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

trade down from the 4th/5th pick (the Texans will win at least one of the last two games ) Select the best linemen (defensive-Haloti Ngata http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news;_...del&type=story or offensive D'Brick or Winston) & pick up an extra 2nd. It would be nice to have two #2's, who should become starters next year. Linebacker, CB or Linemen, BPA.

If the Texans go defensive with the 1st rd. pick the 1st pick of the 2nd rd. has to be OT/G, my preference Davin Joseph. with the 2nd pick aquired in the 2nd rd. for trading down Lenard Pope would be great if still there, WR Mike Haas or even another stud linemen.

If the Texans get their OT with the 1st pick, then one of the 2nd rd. picks would have to be on the defensive side, I don't expect Paul Posluszny the Penn State LB to be there but maybe Demarco Ryans he would be a nice MLB for us
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005   #14
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Rep Power: 904 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected

im looking for dominique byrd in the 3rd, and micheal huff in the 2nd.....assuming we have the 33 pick, i can see him sliding that far

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maher
"I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma"
swtbound07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005   #15
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

I would like Dumerville in either the second or third, with a LB in the other spot. It depends on how high Dumerville is graded.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005   #16
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65
I would like Dumerville in either the second or third, with a LB in the other spot. It depends on how high Dumerville is graded.
he shouldnt grade that high, his hype has also died down considerbly. I still want him though. He is a player regardless.
Old 12-24-2005   #17
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover
trade down from the 4th/5th pick (the Texans will win at least one of the last two games ) Select the best linemen (defensive-Haloti Ngata http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news;_...del&type=story or offensive D'Brick or Winston) & pick up an extra 2nd. It would be nice to have two #2's, who should become starters next year. Linebacker, CB or Linemen, BPA.

If the Texans go defensive with the 1st rd. pick the 1st pick of the 2nd rd. has to be OT/G, my preference Davin Joseph. with the 2nd pick aquired in the 2nd rd. for trading down Lenard Pope would be great if still there, WR Mike Haas or even another stud linemen.

If the Texans get their OT with the 1st pick, then one of the 2nd rd. picks would have to be on the defensive side, I don't expect Paul Posluszny the Penn State LB to be there but maybe Demarco Ryans he would be a nice MLB for us
I thought Ryans was a OLB prospect and was considered undersized even for that.
Old 12-24-2005   #18
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I thought Ryans was a OLB prospect and was considered undersized even for that.
OLB's in a 3-4 are like college DE's (which he is not for sure) we need a quick, relentless able to drop into coverage ILB the fact some have him too highly rated just for those same concerns could drop him to the 2nd a good value for the Texans

ILB would be DeMeco Ryans position in a 3-4, Kipper has him rated #3 on his top 25 draft board at the moment.

Last edited by beerlover; 12-24-2005 at 12:54 AM.
Old 12-24-2005   #19
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover
OLB's in a 3-4 are like college DE's (which he is not for sure) we need a quick, relentless able to drop into coverage ILB the fact some have him too highly rated just for those same concerns could drop him to the 2nd a good value for the Texans

ILB would be DeMeco Ryans position in a 3-4, Kipper has him rated #3 on his top 25 draft board at the moment.
He is not a DE, but is a conventional OLB. I just cannot see him adding enough bulk to play the MLB we came to expect w/sharper. Greenwood is awful. Ryans would still play OLB in this system. MLB are supposed to be run stoppers, and he does not posess the size to do that.
Old 12-24-2005   #20
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
He is not a DE, but is a conventional OLB. I just cannot see him adding enough bulk to play the MLB we came to expect w/sharper. Greenwood is awful. Ryans would still play OLB in this system. MLB are supposed to be run stoppers, and he does not posess the size to do that.
yeah he is a OLB in College but not the NFL. The ILB's are supposed to be smaller & quicker to take away the underneath while the OLB's push the outside & the massive tackles plug the middle. He would be Greenwoods replacement!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read