Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 12-22-2005   #1
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1330 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run
Default DD vs Bush

Since this seems to be the major discusion on these boards, I figured I would start an analysis comparing what we know about Bush with what we know about DD and his abilities. The way I see it, break it down into several categories, so, here we go:

Vision : This is DD's biggest strength, most of his runs require patience and he does a very good job of developing his runs to get the most out of them. For Reggie, in the open field he is obviously very explosive and has an unparalleld cut-back ability, but between the tackles he rarely hs to "find" a hole. DD gets the edge between the tackles, Bush in the open field.

Power: Bush's most criticized weakness, he would rather go around people then through them. While DD is no Earl Campbell, he dosnt go down easly and ussually requires a couple of people to bring him down. DD wins this one.

Jukes: Obvioulsy this one goes to Bush, he is incredible in this regard. DD is no slouch, see the KC game, but this isnt close.

Blocking: DD is not a very accomplished blocker, Bush wins by default. Have not seen enough of him blocking to form a valid opinion.

Speed: Obvioulsy Bush takes this one.

Receiving: Both are accomplished receivers. Bush only has 2 catches of over 20 yards by the way. I think this is a tie because DD has proven he can catch most anything thrown at him. Bush is a solid slot receiver, that is credentials enough.

Fumbles: Both do a great of taking care of the ball, tie.

By my count its about 3-2 Bush, with two categories ennding in ties. Feel free to add anything on or challenge my opinion, just try to make it a real argument, and please, no draft trade down scenarios, just comapre the players. After all, even if we do draft Bush, there is no guarantee he will beat out DD...
Old 12-22-2005   #2
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

Bush is younger

Other than that I would just like to say that you should have ranked them one to ten. Because things like speed and jukes Bush is far better than DD and the categories you gave to bush their isnt as big of a difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005   #3
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Ill keep this short and sweet .....

While I do think Bush is an Electrifying COLLEGE player .... DD is a proven NFL back and has put up very respectable numbers VS. NFL defenses .... NOT against the PAC 10 .

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005   #4
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

Two words injury prone.

Quote:
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Old 12-22-2005   #5
Mathis13
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrosion

While I do think Bush is an Electrifying COLLEGE player .... DD is a proven NFL back and has put up very respectable numbers VS. NFL defenses .... NOT against the PAC 10 .
Agreed. Also DD doesnt have a great O-Line in front of him. while Bush had one of the best
Mathis13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005   #6
HeartofHouston
Veteran

my DD vs Bush breakdown.. Okay here we go.. Ratings are on the scale of 1-10..

----

Vision:
Both of these guys are strong in this area.. DD shows amazing patience in the running game and takes whatever the line gives him... Bush doesnt show as much patience as Davis but his reaction time to defenders is unearthly..

Rating:
Davis (7) and Bush (9)

----

Power:
Bush doesnt show power in his runs, he works off of raw speed and quickness, not much power running from him the years that I've been watching him.. as Run-David-Run stated.. DD is a powerful runner and fights for extra yards and keeps his legs moving at all times and constantly demands several people to bring him down.

Rating:
Davis (6) and Bush (2)
----

Jukes:
Ha Ha.. well Davis is no slouche in this department.. well not completely a bum, but his lack of quickness takes away from his Juking ability. Bush is one of the quickest and most agile RBs i've seen since Barry Sanders.. With Ankle Breaking Jukes he creates extra yards for himself..

Rating:
Davis (4) and Bush (10+)

----

Blocking:
Both of these guys are usually recievers out of the backfield (Bush in the slot) if they are not rushing the ball. Its very rare that you see either of them block and when they do i'm not really impressed with either.. so..

Rating:
Davis (4) and Bush (4)

----

Speed:
The last time I heard about Davis he was clocking a 4.6something and Bush 4.2somthing and it shows on the field Davis is constantly caught from behind by LBs and sometimes DL.. He's not very quick to turn the corner on sweeps plays. Bush well we've all seen what Bush can do once he gets into the second level (LB Level in simple terms).. Bush just outright blows by people.. and you it's EXTREMELY rare.. who am I kidding I've NEVER seen Bush caught from behind.. once he gets into the open field you might as well put up 6 points on the board..

Rating:
Davis (3) and Bush (10+)

----

Recieving:
Both are Reliable targets when they catch the ball.. DD displays soft hands and doesnt drop many.. however Davis is more of a dump the ball of and get 10 yards while Bush is a put him in the slot and watch somebody's DB get toasted. While both are good targets for the passing game Bush gets the advantage because of what he can do when he has the ball in his hands..

Davis (7) and Bush (10+)

----

Fumbles:
DD had some trouble last year but he's seems to have shaken that off.. and he's protecting the ball well this year and Bush is protecting the ball pretty well neither really gets the advantage here..

Rating:
Davis (6) and Bush (6)

----

Durablity/Workhorse:
DD gets injuried EVERY year and it very dissapointing.. he shared the load with Labrandon Toefield at LSU so he never got to carry a full load there and now he's the man and he's gotta get used to being #1.. Bush shares the load with LenDale White and hasnt really had the luxury of being the Workhorse so this one is a toss up..

Rating:
Davis (5) and Bush (5)

----

I think The President takes this competition.. His outright ability to make people look like *****s on the field puts him ahead of DD ability wise.. Cadillac Williams made a fool out of plenty of people in college and now he's up for offensive rookie of the year this year.. and i think that we can all agree that Reggie Bush is better than Caddy Williams.. BUT we never know how a rookie is gonna do but i believe that that.. Bush will be a better HB than DD just off of raw ability to make defenders miss and using his speed to run pass defenders and put points on the board.
Old 12-22-2005   #7
stevo3883
All Pro

just an fyi on blocking, blitz pickup is one of bush's big strengths.

he is able to recognize and pick up the blitzers like a seasoned pro.

dont know how you "weren't impressed" with it.
Old 12-22-2005   #8
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 13416 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartofHouston
my DD vs Bush breakdown.. Okay here we go.. Ratings are on the scale of 1-10..

----

Vision:
Both of these guys are strong in this area.. DD shows amazing patience in the running game and takes whatever the line gives him... Bush doesnt show as much patience as Davis but his reaction time to defenders is unearthly..

Rating:
Davis (7) and Bush (9)

----

Power:
Bush doesnt show power in his runs, he works off of raw speed and quickness, not much power running from him the years that I've been watching him.. as Run-David-Run stated.. DD is a powerful runner and fights for extra yards and keeps his legs moving at all times and constantly demands several people to bring him down.

Rating:
Davis (6) and Bush (2)
----

Jukes:
Ha Ha.. well Davis is no slouche in this department.. well not completely a bum, but his lack of quickness takes away from his Juking ability. Bush is one of the quickest and most agile RBs i've seen since Barry Sanders.. With Ankle Breaking Jukes he creates extra yards for himself..

Rating:
Davis (4) and Bush (10+)

----

Blocking:
Both of these guys are usually recievers out of the backfield (Bush in the slot) if they are not rushing the ball. Its very rare that you see either of them block and when they do i'm not really impressed with either.. so..

Rating:
Davis (4) and Bush (4)

----

Speed:
The last time I heard about Davis he was clocking a 4.6something and Bush 4.2somthing and it shows on the field Davis is constantly caught from behind by LBs and sometimes DL.. He's not very quick to turn the corner on sweeps plays. Bush well we've all seen what Bush can do once he gets into the second level (LB Level in simple terms).. Bush just outright blows by people.. and you it's EXTREMELY rare.. who am I kidding I've NEVER seen Bush caught from behind.. once he gets into the open field you might as well put up 6 points on the board..

Rating:
Davis (3) and Bush (10+)

----

Recieving:
Both are Reliable targets when they catch the ball.. DD displays soft hands and doesnt drop many.. however Davis is more of a dump the ball of and get 10 yards while Bush is a put him in the slot and watch somebody's DB get toasted. While both are good targets for the passing game Bush gets the advantage because of what he can do when he has the ball in his hands..

Davis (7) and Bush (10+)

----

Fumbles:
DD had some trouble last year but he's seems to have shaken that off.. and he's protecting the ball well this year and Bush is protecting the ball pretty well neither really gets the advantage here..

Rating:
Davis (6) and Bush (6)

----

Durablity/Workhorse:
DD gets injuried EVERY year and it very dissapointing.. he shared the load with Labrandon Toefield at LSU so he never got to carry a full load there and now he's the man and he's gotta get used to being #1.. Bush shares the load with LenDale White and hasnt really had the luxury of being the Workhorse so this one is a toss up..

Rating:
Davis (5) and Bush (5)

----

I think The President takes this competition.. His outright ability to make people look like *****s on the field puts him ahead of DD ability wise.. Cadillac Williams made a fool out of plenty of people in college and now he's up for offensive rookie of the year this year.. and i think that we can all agree that Reggie Bush is better than Caddy Williams.. BUT we never know how a rookie is gonna do but i believe that that.. Bush will be a better HB than DD just off of raw ability to make defenders miss and using his speed to run pass defenders and put points on the board.
In the words of the Washington State Head coach Bill Doba, " If you've got a linebacker covering him, you might as well start playing their fight song ".
Old 12-23-2005   #9
DRAMA
All Pro

Send a message via Yahoo to DRAMA

Look - STOP saying he's a college player! We do not draft players from our local dentist and doctors office. The ONLY place they can be drafted in the 'College' draft is from college.

Obviously, DD was drafted from 'college' and everybody looked at him and said, "Hmm...3rd down back. We'll take him later on today maybe."

Bush goes #1 even if SD, Seattle, Indy, KC even with Larry J....had the 1.

Let's stop trying to compare Bush to DD and for the love of Bob, STOP saying that he's only done this at college because any player that you think we should draft, you know what I'll say about him??

Exxxxxxactly!
DRAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005   #10
Big B Texan Fan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Big B Texan Fan has been demoted to the practice squad

Quote:

These posts drive me nuts. Of course DD has put up respectable #'s vs NFL defenses, HE PLAYS IN THE NFL. It's almost as though you forget that 99.9% of the players in the NFL once played in college. They cannot help it, it's practically the only way in. Dohhh!!!

Well, DD couldn't even barely crack the lineup as a starting RB, IN THE SEC. He's made a pretty good career. Now, let's look at a player that has had the starters role for quite some time. The odds say that he'll be pretty good.

Here's the problem I think. Most of you who don't think Bush is a good fit cuz we already got DD are probably envisioning Bush in this scheme. Remember, we'll more than likely have a new a coach by draft time or sooner (1/2/06). That new coach will more than likely have the brains to scheme around his talent instead of put his talent in his scheme. Bush will get used properly (if drafted).
Old 12-23-2005   #11
Big B Texan Fan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Big B Texan Fan has been demoted to the practice squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAMA
Look - STOP saying he's a college player! We do not draft players from our local dentist and doctors office. The ONLY place they can be drafted in the 'College' draft is from college.

Obviously, DD was drafted from 'college' and everybody looked at him and said, "Hmm...3rd down back. We'll take him later on today maybe."

Let's stop trying to compare Bush to DD and for the love of Bob, STOP saying that he's only done this at college because any player that you think we should draft, you know what I'll say about him??

Exxxxxxactly!
My sentiments exxxxxxxxactly. I've been trying to tell these guys but they forget. Maybe if we only get players from NFL Europe or the Canadian League then some of the posters will be happy.
Old 12-23-2005   #12
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276575 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAMA
And all credibility went swirling down the drain.
Old 12-23-2005   #13
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1330 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
And all credibility went swirling down the drain.
yeah, that has to be one of the worst posts ever...
Old 12-23-2005   #14
djkennedy101
Rookie

Quote:

Amen Brother.......Keep DD he is gonna be a great one....watch and see!!!!
Old 12-23-2005   #15
Texas_Thrill
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Texas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballotTexas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Again I say what does his CONFERENCE have squat to do with anything?

You play against the level of competition you have in front of you. Bush has DOMINATED it.

If we are soooo concerned about conferences then why did we draft Davis who NEVER started. DIdn't get carries as a full-time back. The same things ya'll are fussing about Bush on were the same issues DAVIS had coming out of college.

Another thing do you realize if you just go on this incredibly dumb argument of what conference he played in you'd never draft the likes of

Walter Payton, Jerry Rice, Doug Williams, Randy Moss. Just to name a few.
Old 12-23-2005   #16
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Sounds like Bush will make a great back for some team other than the Texans.
Old 12-23-2005   #17
HeartofHouston
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro
Sounds like Bush will make a great back for some team other than the Texans.
I'm sad to say you are right...
Old 12-23-2005   #18
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276575 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Thrill
If we are soooo concerned about conferences then why did we draft Davis who NEVER started. DIdn't get carries as a full-time back. The same things ya'll are fussing about Bush on were the same issues DAVIS had coming out of college.
Not that I am concerned about his conference, but the higher scrutiny and standard for Bush over Davis is pretty obvious IMO. DD was a 4th round pick and got league minimum for 2 years. Bush is going to go #1 and instantly be either the highest paid RB in the league or in the top 3. Yeah, the standard is higher.

PS--it is y'all, not ya'll.
Old 12-23-2005   #19
djkennedy101
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Thrill
Again I say what does his CONFERENCE have squat to do with anything?

You play against the level of competition you have in front of you. Bush has DOMINATED it.

Another thing do you realize if you just go on this incredibly dumb argument of what conference he played in you'd never draft the likes of

Walter Payton, Jerry Rice, Doug Williams, Randy Moss. Just to name a few.
Maybe you forgot this.....He shared time with other backs Toefield...and Addai....Was also the main kick and punt returner...Toefield is in the NFL....His last game in an LSU uniform he started(toefield was hurt)....Against Illinois in the Sugar Bowl, Davis totaled 122 yards rushing and a Sugar Bowl record 4 rushing touchdowns.
Illionois was 11-2 including the loss to LSU that year.....Givin the right oportunity...DD is gonna be great...Why take Bush when you allready have a proven NFL Back....WE need an O-line!!!!
Old 12-23-2005   #20
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

My biggest reason for drafting bush is his speed. I have watched DD get caught from behind to many times. On the same play Bush would have scored.

Quote:

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read