Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read


College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2005   #1
Goldeagle
Hall of Fame
 
Goldeagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Spring
Age: 41
Posts: 1,816
Rep Power: 12 Goldeagle is a Pro BowlerGoldeagle is a Pro Bowler
Send a message via Yahoo to Goldeagle
Default Why not take an O-lineman

Orlando Pace: first round
Walter Jones: First round
Willie Anderson: First round
Jonathan Ogden: first round
Willie Roaf: First round

and so on.

I dont understand why I hear this on the radio, that you draft a guy in the 2nd or 3rd round? Granted I should not be listening to the *****s on the radio, but it drives me crazy. All those guys are at the top of their field and there are even more that were drafted in teh first round that play up to par.

We went the route of a 3rd pick and he is on the sidelines and looks confused on the field (#78)
Goldeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005   #2
Grid
Hall of Fame
 
Grid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 4,299
Rep Power: 2271 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

LTs are taken in the first round. Every other position on the Oline can be filled in any other round.. including the 7th.. as well as through undrafted free agents.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005   #3
Bubbajwp
All Flopper
 
Bubbajwp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: In the Warehouse
Age: 26
Posts: 3,198
Rep Power: 140 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid
LTs are taken in the first round. Every other position on the Oline can be filled in any other round.. including the 7th.. as well as through undrafted free agents.
Exactly.

I would also like to add that if we do draft a LT it also puts pitts back at guard. To me thats kinda like killing two birds with one stone. Wich is also the teams biggest need.
__________________
The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005   #4
Mathis13
Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Age: 21
Posts: 111
Rep Power: 0 Mathis13 is ridin' the pine
Default

A LT is not gonna solve all our problems but its a start. You build arond your o-Line
Mathis13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005   #5
Nawzer
Alienz
 
Nawzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Houston, TX
Age: 31
Posts: 6,464
Rep Power: 23247 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

I just get tired of think that this argument between picking o-line vs. picking Reggie Bush (if we happen to have the no.1 pick) is going to last until April!!! Here is my 2 cents: If we DO have the no.1 pick and decide to trade down we HAVE to make sure we get equal value for that pick. In this case it's most likely that Reggie Bush is the no.1 draft pick next year. The problem is this: There is NO one player who equals Bush's talent. There is a very good chance that guys like D'Brickshaw, Matt Leinart, A.J. Hawk, Jimmy Williams etc, won't have successful NFL careers. This is a very critical draft for us because if we don't have a good draft, there is a chance we're going to be bad for years to come. Anyway, I'm not opposed to picking an o-linemen and I know we need some good talent at that position. But say we do pick up D'Brickshaw or Eric Winston they are still going to be rookies. And we know rookies at that position have a hard time adjusting and it takes a while. Our scouting department will have to ABSOLUTELY make sure that they will get a positive return from their investment. There are no guarantees but it is critical that they make a good choice no matter who they will pick. Ofcourse, this argument(s) will become moot if we do win at San Francisco and then I see us trading down. But if we do have the no.1 pick and we trade it, I would make sure I get the other team's 2007 no.1 pick. Reggie Bush is as close to being a superstar in this league without playing an NFL down and we have to make sure the either with or without him we make a good choice.
__________________
Fortune favors the brave NOT the stupid!
Nawzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005   #6
run-david-run
Hall of Fame
 
run-david-run's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: The University of Texas
Age: 25
Posts: 3,370
Rep Power: 1330 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawzer
I just get tired of think that this argument between picking o-line vs. picking Reggie Bush (if we happen to have the no.1 pick) is going to last until April!!! Here is my 2 cents: If we DO have the no.1 pick and decide to trade down we HAVE to make sure we get equal value for that pick. In this case it's most likely that Reggie Bush is the no.1 draft pick next year. The problem is this: There is NO one player who equals Bush's talent. There is a very good chance that guys like D'Brickshaw, Matt Leinart, A.J. Hawk, Jimmy Williams etc, won't have successful NFL careers. This is a very critical draft for us because if we don't have a good draft, there is a chance we're going to be bad for years to come. Anyway, I'm not opposed to picking an o-linemen and I know we need some good talent at that position. But say we do pick up D'Brickshaw or Eric Winston they are still going to be rookies. And we know rookies at that position have a hard time adjusting and it takes a while. Our scouting department will have to ABSOLUTELY make sure that they will get a positive return from their investment. There are no guarantees but it is critical that they make a good choice no matter who they will pick. Ofcourse, this argument(s) will become moot if we do win at San Francisco and then I see us trading down. But if we do have the no.1 pick and we trade it, I would make sure I get the other team's 2007 no.1 pick. Reggie Bush is as close to being a superstar in this league without playing an NFL down and we have to make sure the either with or without him we make a good choice.
How is there a "very good chance" those players wont succeed? Reggie Bush is not a sure thing, no one has reserved his seat in Canton just yet, ussually that takes something more, such as playing a game....

The draft is a lottery, but you have to look at what you need. We have had multiple games where DD has rushed for over 100 yards (Indy (98, close enough), Ravens, Titans) and had over 100 total yards, yet we still lost. When we played the Titans, he had 189 total yards, yet we still lost. I dont see where Reggie Bush would give us any production that would consitently be better. This team has WAY bigger wholes. The one game we acctually looked like a decent NFL passing game was the Rams, and only the first half at that. The reason that game stands out is because Carr was not sacked in that half. He threw for 3 Touchdowns. Protection is the key to having a good offesne. We already have a productive running game, Bush is not going to be such an upgrade as to suddenly make us a much better team. Get a LT, move Pitts back to LG or RT, then pick up either Max-Jean Giles or Davin Joseph at G and we will be set for 10 years at the most important O-line positions...
__________________
Andre Johnson is The Answer
run-david-run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005   #7
NederlandTexan
Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 172
Rep Power: 10 NederlandTexan is a team player
Default

The reason you draft Bush is he is the most electrifying prospect in recent draft history. You can draft a Marcus McNeill or Darin Colledge in the second, and in the third Davin Joseph, Charles Spencer, or Jason Spitz should be available. You can get the most exciting player in college football and draft for need/depth after that.
NederlandTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-22-2005   #8
Mathis13
Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Age: 21
Posts: 111
Rep Power: 0 Mathis13 is ridin' the pine
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NederlandTexan
The reason you draft Bush is he is the most electrifying prospect in recent draft history. You can draft a Marcus McNeill or Darin Colledge in the second, and in the third Davin Joseph, Charles Spencer, or Jason Spitz should be available. You can get the most exciting player in college football and draft for need/depth after that.
You already have a DD. Go draft aj hawk and get a OL in the 2nd
Mathis13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005   #9
Big B Texan Fan
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Spring TX
Age: 40
Posts: 1,098
Rep Power: 0 Big B Texan Fan has been demoted to the practice squad
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldeagle
Orlando Pace: first round
Walter Jones: First round
Willie Anderson: First round
Jonathan Ogden: first round
Willie Roaf: First round

and so on.

I dont understand why I hear this on the radio, that you draft a guy in the 2nd or 3rd round? Granted I should not be listening to the *****s on the radio, but it drives me crazy. All those guys are at the top of their field and there are even more that were drafted in teh first round that play up to par.

We went the route of a 3rd pick and he is on the sidelines and looks confused on the field (#78)
There's only 2 rings with 3 SB appearances with all those guys. They equal over 30 years of NFL experience between the 5 of them. 1 of those rings was won due to the D of that particular team.

I see your point though. But everyone needs to understand that NFL GM's and Owners take the best player available in the draft. You can skew that a bit by saying that a certain player was the highest on our draft board when you actually draft for need but the fans know when you're full of balogna when you have a top 5 pick.

Rounds 1, 2, and maybe 3 you draft best player available (except QB if you're set at that position). Rounds 4-7 are typically more for need.

Free Agency begins before the draft every year. There is a hard push early to fill needs. Then you draft the best available. Then finish up in FA with need filling.

Take trading down out of the picture, lets just say it's not allowed. Would Bush be a smart pick. DD sure is hurt alot. It would make sense to me. Like my grandpa used to tell me on fishing trips when I was young. "You ain't gonna catch anything if your line ain't wet". If DD's not on the field then he can't score TD's. I'm not saying that Bush will go through his carrer injury -free but c'mon, DD misses 3-5 games a season.
__________________
Kubiak is no mechanic!
Trade in the Carr and go with a Young-er model!
Big B Texan Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005   #10
HeartofHouston
Veteran
 
HeartofHouston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 8900 Braeswood
Age: 30
Posts: 405
Rep Power: 9 HeartofHouston is ridin' the pine
Default

Chad Clifton
Adrian Klemm
Maurice Williams
Matt Light
Andre Gurode
Toniu Fonoti
Al Johnson
Chris Snee
Kareem McKenzie
Steve Sciullo
Dan Koppen


All of these Solid and Great Linemen were taken in 2-4 rounds and there are more I'm just too lazy to look right now... We dont HAVE to select a lineman in the first round.. all these guys are starters and all of them could start for any team in the NFL..

With the proper scouting and o-line coach we could turn a average lineman to a good lineman and a good lineman to a great lineman.. we have to take the best player available right now.. rather it's Mario Williams, Jimmy Willams, AJ Hawk, Bush or whoever.. it doesnt matter we need playmakers..
__________________
Nate Clements + Michael Griffin + Earl Everett + Marshawn Lynch = Texans
HeartofHouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005   #11
edo783
Site Contributor
 
edo783's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Houston, again.
Posts: 7,706
Rep Power: 4640 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

IMO, some folks are missing the point that LTs ARE play makers. Thats why they are so important and sought after. A reasonably good case can be made that it is the 2nd most important spot after QB.
__________________


De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005   #12
cap1
All Pro
 
cap1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Friendswood, TX
Age: 35
Posts: 557
Rep Power: 11 cap1 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotcap1 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Default

I personally think we should use our first pick on the best LT available.

Next use the 2nd pick on the best Guard/Center in the draft whether that means trading up or staying put. Then use the two thirds on what ever else there is.
__________________
2006 Champion of Yahoo Fantasy Football League: Go Texan League
cap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005   #13
run-david-run
Hall of Fame
 
run-david-run's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: The University of Texas
Age: 25
Posts: 3,370
Rep Power: 1330 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big B Texan Fan
There's only 2 rings with 3 SB appearances with all those guys. They equal over 30 years of NFL experience between the 5 of them. 1 of those rings was won due to the D of that particular team.I see your point though. But everyone needs to understand that NFL GM's and Owners take the best player available in the draft. You can skew that a bit by saying that a certain player was the highest on our draft board when you actually draft for need but the fans know when you're full of balogna when you have a top 5 pick.

Rounds 1, 2, and maybe 3 you draft best player available (except QB if you're set at that position). Rounds 4-7 are typically more for need.

Free Agency begins before the draft every year. There is a hard push early to fill needs. Then you draft the best available. Then finish up in FA with need filling.

Take trading down out of the picture, lets just say it's not allowed. Would Bush be a smart pick. DD sure is hurt alot. It would make sense to me. Like my grandpa used to tell me on fishing trips when I was young. "You ain't gonna catch anything if your line ain't wet". If DD's not on the field then he can't score TD's. I'm not saying that Bush will go through his carrer injury -free but c'mon, DD misses 3-5 games a season.
Two can play that game: how many rings are there in between Edge, Shaun Alexander, LT, Priest Holmes, Fred Taylor, Barry Sanders and Ahman Green. 0.
__________________
Andre Johnson is The Answer
run-david-run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005   #14
Bubbajwp
All Flopper
 
Bubbajwp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: In the Warehouse
Age: 26
Posts: 3,198
Rep Power: 140 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by run-david-run
Two can play that game: how many rings are there in between Edge, Shaun Alexander, LT, Priest Holmes, Fred Taylor, Barry Sanders and Ahman Green. 0.
ouch.
__________________
The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005   #15
Bubbajwp
All Flopper
 
Bubbajwp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: In the Warehouse
Age: 26
Posts: 3,198
Rep Power: 140 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartofHouston
Chad Clifton
Adrian Klemm
Maurice Williams
Matt Light
Andre Gurode
Toniu Fonoti
Al Johnson
Chris Snee
Kareem McKenzie
Steve Sciullo
Dan Koppen


All of these Solid and Great Linemen were taken in 2-4 rounds and there are more I'm just too lazy to look right now... We dont HAVE to select a lineman in the first round.. all these guys are starters and all of them could start for any team in the NFL..

With the proper scouting and o-line coach we could turn a average lineman to a good lineman and a good lineman to a great lineman.. we have to take the best player available right now.. rather it's Mario Williams, Jimmy Willams, AJ Hawk, Bush or whoever.. it doesnt matter we need playmakers..
Sorry man but their is a huge difference between you list and this list

Orlando Pace: first round
Walter Jones: First round
Willie Anderson: First round
Jonathan Ogden: first round
Willie Roaf: First round

Maybe you should count pro bowls instead of rings.
__________________
The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005   #16
stevo3883
All Pro
 
stevo3883's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: h-town
Age: 34
Posts: 733
Rep Power: 9 stevo3883 is ridin' the pine
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by run-david-run
Two can play that game: how many rings are there in between Edge, Shaun Alexander, LT, Priest Holmes, Fred Taylor, Barry Sanders and Ahman Green. 0.

ok if you can list players like Barry, then someone could counter with Emmitt, Terrel Davis, Corey Dillon.
__________________
Go Team?
stevo3883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005   #17
Bubbajwp
All Flopper
 
Bubbajwp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: In the Warehouse
Age: 26
Posts: 3,198
Rep Power: 140 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo3883
ok if you can list players like Barry, then someone could counter with Emmitt, Terrel Davis, Corey Dillon.
Then someone could counter with. None of those RB would have any rings without there oline.
__________________
The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005   #18
Bubbajwp
All Flopper
 
Bubbajwp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: In the Warehouse
Age: 26
Posts: 3,198
Rep Power: 140 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

Skill position players are nothing if they cant get the ball.
__________________
The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005   #19
Big B Texan Fan
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Spring TX
Age: 40
Posts: 1,098
Rep Power: 0 Big B Texan Fan has been demoted to the practice squad
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by run-david-run
Two can play that game: how many rings are there in between Edge, Shaun Alexander, LT, Priest Holmes, Fred Taylor, Barry Sanders and Ahman Green. 0.
Emmit Smith, Rodney Hampton, Antwoine Smith, Marshall Faulk, Jamal Lewis all won rings. 7 or 8 of them. And they were all 1st rd pix.

And what's all this "2 can play at this game" doo-doo. I said I see your point.

We can argue this all night but we'll end up at a stalemate.
__________________
Kubiak is no mechanic!
Trade in the Carr and go with a Young-er model!
Big B Texan Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005   #20
Big B Texan Fan
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Spring TX
Age: 40
Posts: 1,098
Rep Power: 0 Big B Texan Fan has been demoted to the practice squad
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo3883
ok if you can list players like Barry, then someone could counter with Emmitt, Terrel Davis, Corey Dillon.
The arguement is 1st rd RB's. Dillon and TD are not.
__________________
Kubiak is no mechanic!
Trade in the Carr and go with a Young-er model!
Big B Texan Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger