Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-22-2005   #1
djkennedy101
Rookie

Default Would it have made a diffrence.....

If the Texan's had signed Orlando Pace in the offseason?....If you had your choice which current O-lineman whould you whant as an Anchor for the Texans O-line?.........Wish I could go back in time and Get Bruce Matthews......
Old 12-22-2005   #2
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 39800 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkennedy101
If the Texan's had signed Orlando Pace in the offseason?....If you had your choice which current O-lineman whould you whant as an Anchor for the Texans O-line?.........Wish I could go back in time and Get Bruce Matthews......
It would have made a difference, but that difference is hard to quanitfy given Wade's poor play, Weigert's injury, and the soft center position. Team's with one very good pass rusher could have easily shifted to him to Wade's side. However, Pace may have given Carr some confidence to stand in there.
Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005   #3
Holden135
Veteran

I think it would have been a huge decision. We would have given up two first round draft picks. That means we lose Travis Johnson and the OL that i assume we will draft in the first round this year. I think Pace's value would greatly exceed that of the two first round picks in the long run.
Holden135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005   #4
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 39800 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden135
I think it would have been a huge decision. We would have given up two first round draft picks. That means we lose Travis Johnson and the OL that i assume we will draft in the first round this year. I think Pace's value would greatly exceed that of the two first round picks in the long run.
Oh yeah - the cost part. I think he would have been more expensive than his worth, but he wouldn't be the first player on the team I'd say that about.
Old 12-22-2005   #5
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Absolutely.

Given that Riley was our starting left tackle, Pace would have been a 400% upgrade at that position. But, we wouldn't be talking about our first round draft pick this year. We'd be talking about who we are going to take in the second.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005   #6
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 209048 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS84
Absolutely.

Given that Riley was our starting left tackle, Pace would have been a 400% upgrade at that position. But, we wouldn't be talking about our first round draft pick this year. We'd be talking about who we are going to take in the second.

Yes Pace would have been a HUGE upgrade over Riley .... But I think Pitts has done just fine since being moved back to LT .... I think leaving him at that position from the start of the season would have had the same impact as Pace .

I think the lines weakness is at the center and guard spots , not the tackles .... but thats just my opinion ..... and you know what they say about opinions ......

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005   #7
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrosion
Yes Pace would have been a HUGE upgrade over Riley .... But I think Pitts has done just fine since being moved back to LT .... I think leaving him at that position from the start of the season would have had the same impact as Pace .

I think the lines weakness is at the center and guard spots , not the tackles .... but thats just my opinion ..... and you know what they say about opinions ......
Except that moving Pitts to tackle really hurt our guard play too. Position by position analysis sometime misses the big picture. While we may have found players that strengthen one or two positions on the line, I don't think we've had much success at fielding the best synergistic line we could for a variety of reasons - coaches decisions, injuries etc.
Sponsored links
Old 12-22-2005   #8
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 355985 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree that Pace would have made an impact. The dude is a Pro-Bowler.

But I don't think he was ever truly interested in becoming a Texan. He was using us to get the Rams to give him more money. We were tools.
Old 12-22-2005   #9
Doug
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel

But I don't think he was ever truly interested in becoming a Texan. He was using us to get the Rams to give him more money. We were tools.
Completely agree!
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005   #10
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Coach C. is a Pro BowlerCoach C. is a Pro Bowler

We got used, but we routinely do. The problem was that Riley started at LT instead of Pitts. That was a mistake that has caused major problems. I mean we lost those games and confidence because the coaching staff could not tell that Riley was too fat and slow to deal with pass rushers.
Coach C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005   #11
djkennedy101
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel

Yep Yep..... .....thats for damn sure....
Old 12-22-2005   #12
HardCoreTxn
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to HardCoreTxn Send a message via MSN to HardCoreTxn Send a message via Yahoo to HardCoreTxn
Default Barron

I still say we should have drafted Alex Barron and not Travis Johnson
Old 12-22-2005   #13
Mathis13
Veteran

Pace is a great tackle... but he's not worth two first rounds picks. and a big salary cap hit
Mathis13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005   #14
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1331 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathis13
Pace is a great tackle... but he's not worth two first rounds picks. and a big salary cap hit
He is also getting on in years... he would have helped us win a few games this year, but with no D to speak of, we would be trading away our future for two average seasons with no playoffs...
Old 12-23-2005   #15
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

If we got Pace, St. Louis could potentially be getting Reggie Bush. Man, the Lord works in mysterious ways. I know you don't think they need Reggie Bush cuz Stephen Jackson is there but that is why I put potentially in bold.

If I could get the bookend I wanted I would've drafted Willie Roaf instead of Bosselli.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005   #16
touttail
All Pro

Pace probably would have saved a couple of sacks, but he can't block the whole defense. The blitzes and missed blocks by other linemen and OBacks killed us offensively. Too many dropped balls, and not having a good recieving TE. Our defense stunk getting burned by WRs and good RBs. Pace may have made a difference in close games but not the butt whoopins' we got.

Bobby 119C:brickwall
touttail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005   #17
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano
If we got Pace, St. Louis could potentially be getting Reggie Bush. Man, the Lord works in mysterious ways. I know you don't think they need Reggie Bush cuz Stephen Jackson is there but that is why I put potentially in bold.

If I could get the bookend I wanted I would've drafted Willie Roaf instead of Bosselli.
Me and my brother have discussed the Texans expansion draft a few times and we never understood why they passed on some of the offensive linemen. like Roaf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read