Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-05-2004   #41
Crestmob

No they gave him more comp to up the level of play
Old 05-07-2004   #42
Dilbert R.
Rookie

I would hate to lose JJ Moses. I realize most see him as an entertaining returner, but I like his toughness, his good hands, and consistency on Kick offs. I believe there are a few TDs in his future too. And what is the problem with us using him like KC uses Hall? Even though Dante Hall is faster, their moves in traffic are similar, and I believe JJ would be dangerous in the secondary. He is a weapon, and we should utilize him more, IMO.
Dilbert R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004   #43
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I remembered when we played KC in the preseason our first year, I really liked how Moses played against us. In a way I hope he can contribute offensively this season.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004   #44
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 103631 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

everyone who watched the texans last year, what was the knock on moses? if ya dont remember ...

"he cant beat the kicker!"

without biased, i dont remember any other single kick returner other than dante hall GETTIN TO the kicker as many times as moses. my thinking is i'd rather have a guy going 40 yards every return & no td's than have a guy averaging 5 yards with a touchdown or two. the kick returner's job is field position, getting a td is a great bonus that VERY RARELY happens. what it seems many are forgetting is moses DID score a td or two, they just happened to be called back because of penalties. the game i think many automatically think of was (forget the opponent) i think jacksonville or the jets early in the season. he ran 100 yards, got us to around the opponent 30 and just ran out of gas. he didnt score a td is what most fans see ... what i saw is HE GOT US TO THE FRIGGIN 30! at league minimum salary, my vote goes for moses's consistant field position. 9 returners last year got td's from 32 teams ... moses averaged over 23 yards per return, had over 1350 yards, & a long of 70 yards. with only one season under his belt, what more could you want?
Old 05-07-2004   #45
Texman
Rookie

JJ did OK in my book with his returns and can change direction on a dime giving us good field position most of the time. I remember a couple of runbacks that should have been TDs' but he just ran out of gas. I don't recall him lining up at WR but finding a return man that can do double duty would be a big plus. Preseason is a good place to give JJ and others a try at both.
Texman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004   #46
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100543 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Talking

The Texans ranked 29th in the NFL in punt returns last season with a 6.7-yard average and were 16th in kickoff returns with a 21.3-yard average. Only one time in 250 attempts the past two seasons have the Texans returned a kick for a touchdown -- a 76-yard punt return by Avion Black against the Baltimore Ravens in 2002.

from the houston Chronicle

The Texans will look for someone better (as with almost any position). As stated in the chronicle and quoted by Marciano.. It is JJ's job to lose. Even though Black returned one back..he still wasn't consistant enough and JJ took his job. JJ is consistant and who knows maybe on of the rookies can be more consistant or maybe JJ holds on... Competition is a good thing. Just my
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004   #47
texans
Veteran

Question the returner

I was wondering if mosses is out who is the number two guy. I saw Dunta doing a return and Aaron did them in ny. Duff was a great returner in collage but will thaat translate into the NFl. Who do you think the returner will be next year becase i think we need a new one.
texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-09-2004   #48
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

If Duff wins it, Gaff will be the #2 PR and Hollings will be the #2 KR.

I see Duff winning it.

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004   #49
Lucky

Rep Power: 149994 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Write-in Sloan Thomas on your Pro Bowl Ballots

Quote:
Originally Posted by scourge
I think Sloan Thomas has a chance as a return guy as well...speaking of which, Im also looking for him to become the 3rd WR before the 2005 season, moving ahead of Bradford.
This is why I'm not crazy about bring in local players as rookies. Sloan Thomas never started for his college team until they went to the 3 WR set his senior year. He returned a grand total 6 kicks his entire college career. He was a fringe college player who was drafted in the 7th round on the basis of his pro day workout. Nothing wrong with taking a workout warrior in the 7th round, but Thomas has about a 10-15% chance of making it in the NFL. About the same as the other 7 round guys.

Yet, some of you guys think that Sloan can solve the Texans return problems, become the slot WR (if not #2), and basically walk on water. The reality is that the guy has zero chance of contributing as a WR for the Texans this season. He has to be deprogramed from whatever poor techniques he picked up at UT and built from the ground up as a WR. Thomas is a legit athlete, it could happen. But not anytime soon. Where he can make this team is on special teams and his competition for a job isn't with JJ Moses but guys like Bell, Vaughn, plus NFL Europe special team stars Jermaine Lewis & Rober' Freeman.

I realize a ton of you guys are Horn fans. That's cool, but let's try to keep it real concerning a players chances with the Texans. No need to turn this board into a place of worship for all things burnt orange.
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004   #50
TMac48
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to TMac48

Quote:
I realize a ton of you guys are Horn fans. That's cool, but let's try to keep it real concerning a players chances with the Texans. No need to turn this board into a place of worship for all things burnt orange.
Well said. Oh...and gig 'em!

Tim
TMac48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004   #51
rdbrem
Rookie

Default Competition

JJ was a surprise last year. If I remember right, he also had a better average in the 2nd half of the season than in the first. And he was tied for number 10 on kick off returns. I think about half the guys above him were injured before the season ended, too.

I think what that spells is that they're going to compete for the job, but it's too early to write him off. Last year, they kept him on the team, but I don't think they ever had him play as a receiver at all. That tells me they value a one role guy in some positions. However, if somebody else excels at punt returner, but not kickoffs, they've got a problem.

Bottom line: will depend on who stays healthy, but nobody can predict it yet. Somebody said Duff sounded like Deion Sanders. Not when you're drafted in the 6th round. I don't think they'll cut JJ early, unless they have a couple of good alternatives.

Also, isn't Rober' returning some in NFL Europe?

Are the cut dates posted yet?
rdbrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004   #52
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Because JJ was so consistant on kickoffs I suspect that the coaching staff will be reluctant to let anyone do it if they can't prove to be at least that consistant. However, there is no doubt he has a roster problem being ONLY a KR AND taking up a WR spot.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read