Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 12-20-2005   #1
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Alex Smith has small hands

Word out of San Fran is that Alex Smith's hands are too small to grip a football. Funny, but true. I saw him launch a long one, and the ball went off crazily to the other side of the field. I don't know how they didn't see this, yet they caught Aaron Rodger's slight mechanics problem. Aaron Rodgers was clearly the better pick, already knowing the West Coast Offense. He doesn't have "Man Hands"!
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005   #2
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

I've heard that too. Although Mike Nolan claims that Alex Smith's hands are actually slightly above the league average. Ron Jaworski has said that he has watched him practice before games and that he doesn't have an NFL arm and that he believes that Alex Smith might be a product of an Urban Meyer system.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005   #3
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan
I've heard that too. Although Mike Nolan claims that Alex Smith's hands are actually slightly above the league average. Ron Jaworski has said that he has watched him practice before games and that he doesn't have an NFL arm and that he believes that Alex Smith might be a product of an Urban Meyer system.
But then, you think of Chris Leak, who was a good QB until he went into Urban Myers' system.
Old 12-20-2005   #4
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

True, but that is because Urban Myer needs a mobile quarterback for his system. Chris Leak is a pocket passer.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005   #5
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1331 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan
Word out of San Fran is that Alex Smith's hands are too small to grip a football. Funny, but true. I saw him launch a long one, and the ball went off crazily to the other side of the field. I don't know how they didn't see this, yet they caught Aaron Rodger's slight mechanics problem. Aaron Rodgers was clearly the better pick, already knowing the West Coast Offense. He doesn't have "Man Hands"!
Its what they get for drafting a QB who was obviously not ready. Who realy thought Smith was the best choice?
Old 12-20-2005   #6
Youngstown Colt
All Pro

Culpepper actually has little hands too. It's part of the reason he averages a fumble a game.
Old 12-20-2005   #7
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngstown Colt
Culpepper actually has little hands too. It's part of the reason he averages a fumble a game.
but his arm is one of or the strongest arm in the nfl.
Sponsored links
Old 12-21-2005   #8
Txn_in_Oki
Lucky 13

Rep Power: 32635 Txn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respected

I keep hearing them talk about how his hands are the size of an otter's. Can't he wear gloves? Rothlesjiggy from Pittsburgh jacked his thumb up again and is going to use gloves to help his grip this weekend. Why not have Smith do that?
Old 12-21-2005   #9
Youngstown Colt
All Pro

Quote:
but his arm is one of or the strongest arm in the nfl.
Yeah, no doubting that, but it's always funny when someone has small hands.
Old 12-21-2005   #10
Tale Gator
________

Rep Power: 15 Tale Gator could be on the next Madden coverTale Gator could be on the next Madden coverTale Gator could be on the next Madden coverTale Gator could be on the next Madden coverTale Gator could be on the next Madden coverTale Gator could be on the next Madden cover

When you have small hands you have to squeeze the ball extremely hard to keep it from slipping. Over the course of a game Smith's hand is bound to get tired throwing the ball 25-35 times. Add in some moisture or really dry air and the ball going to flutter out of his hand like a wounded duck.
Tale Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005   #11
Ranger
Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Ranger Send a message via Yahoo to Ranger

I think its just a big cover up just to say "Hey, we screwed up. He can't play worth ****." Yes I've heard of QB's having small hands and losing fumbles because of it, but never through a football. He just doesn't have the arm strength. All he had to do in Utah was through a five yard pass and let the receiver do the rest, much like Texas Tech.

Its funny, shouldn't the scouts have caught his hand size and his trouble gripping a ball? I mean they did work him out with an NFL ball during his workouts and not a college one..................right? Oops.........
Old 12-23-2005   #12
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

alex smith has more issues than just small hands
Old 12-24-2005   #13
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 152103 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txn_in_VA
I keep hearing them talk about how his hands are the size of an otter's. Can't he wear gloves? Rothlesjiggy from Pittsburgh jacked his thumb up again and is going to use gloves to help his grip this weekend. Why not have Smith do that?
Kiddie gloves dont come with grip on them, lol. That option is only on adult sizes.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005   #14
alphajoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4560 alphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respected

...."smells like cabbage". -Austin Powers
alphajoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005   #15
WildBlackBear32
All Pro

Smith will be a fine QB. He has an excellent football mind, is mobile and is VERY young. I think he will be a better, tougher version of Pennington.
WildBlackBear32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005   #16
Txn_in_Oki
Lucky 13

Rep Power: 32635 Txn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCROD
Kiddie gloves dont come with grip on them, lol. That option is only on adult sizes.
Maybe he can give these a try...

Old 12-26-2005   #17
DraconisRex
Rookie

Quote:

Another Aaron Rodgers fan doing what he can to make up for the fall. We have guys like this on the 49ers board. Every rookie mistake and it's "we should start Ken Dorsey or we should have drafted Aaron Rodgers..."

Here's the deal, the media jumped on Smith without bothering to, oh, check the facts. Here are the hand sizess:

Alex Smith 9.875 (Round 1)
Charle Frye 9.750 (Round 3)
Derek Anderson 9.750 (Round 6)
David Green 9.625 (Round 3)
Dan Orlovsky 9.500 (Round 5)
Aaron Rodgers 9.375 (Round 1)
Kyle Orton 9.250 (Round 4)
Jason Campbell 9.125 (Round 1)
Adrian McPherson 9.000 (Round 5)
Stefan Lefors 8.750 (Round 4)

Smith is up there with the Mannings, Pennington and other QBs. He's certainly got bigger hands than your robo-QB, Rodgers, and had the biggest hands of any QB drafted, for which I have the hand size. His hands are also slightly bigger than Carr's (9.750). Just because some ninny in the media opens his mouth, doesn't mean he has even the slightest clue about the subject on which he speaks.
DraconisRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005   #18
DraconisRex
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger
I think its just a big cover up just to say "Hey, we screwed up. He can't play worth ****." Yes I've heard of QB's having small hands and losing fumbles because of it, but never through a football. He just doesn't have the arm strength. All he had to do in Utah was through a five yard pass and let the receiver do the rest, much like Texas Tech.

Its funny, shouldn't the scouts have caught his hand size and his trouble gripping a ball? I mean they did work him out with an NFL ball during his workouts and not a college one..................right? Oops.........
Like I said:

Alex Smith 9.875 (Round 1)
Charle Frye 9.750 (Round 3)
Derek Anderson 9.750 (Round 6)
David Green 9.625 (Round 3)
Dan Orlovsky 9.500 (Round 5)
Aaron Rodgers 9.375 (Round 1)
Kyle Orton 9.250 (Round 4)
Jason Campbell 9.125 (Round 1)
Adrian McPherson 9.000 (Round 5)
Stefan Lefors 8.750 (Round 4)

And, BTW, I thought by now Texan's fans would know enough to not believe the media. Half of what they say about you is wrong, why should it be any different for any other team or player?
DraconisRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005   #19
Tale Gator
________

Rep Power: 15 Tale Gator could be on the next Madden coverTale Gator could be on the next Madden coverTale Gator could be on the next Madden coverTale Gator could be on the next Madden coverTale Gator could be on the next Madden coverTale Gator could be on the next Madden cover

Alex Smith has big palms and stubby fingers.
Tale Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005   #20
Youngstown Colt
All Pro

The picture of chris elliot from the "scary movie" comes to my mind.

"grab my strong hand child"

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read