Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-19-2005   #1
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer
Default Rivalries

Playing the Jags has always been a good game, and to me it's a rivalry. If we beat the Jags and the Titans, then I'm happy. (Maybe that's why I liked last season last year.)

SI.com put out a photo gallery of what it called "Top 10 New NFL Rivalries." The Texans were overlooked for obvious reasons - if it isn't about Bush or our general malaise and ineptitude, then it's not a story. Her'e's the link:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mul...content.1.html

Here's the question: Would you consider Jags/Texans and Texans/Titans rivalries? (I'd also be curious to know the opinion of people from those teams.) If so, which is the bigger rivalry?

I say they are both rivalries, and as the teams improve, the rivalries will become better known. Of the two, I think the Jags is the bigger rivalry because we are both true expansion teams and, IMO, always pretty equitable on the field. Besides, I'd rather beat the Hags.
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005   #2
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 39244 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Good thread Oso, thanks. Myself who was not an Oilers fans does not share the same passion as other Houston fans. I like the Jags rivalry as I feel we have been inextricably linked in our short time as we took a number of their players in the expansion draft and we are truly a spoiler during their come uppance as of late.
Old 12-19-2005   #3
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 301240 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

The two rivalries the Texans have - Jags and Titans - are minor, IMO. Mostly in our minds.

Titans fans could care less about the Texans, so it's really only a one way rivalry (and our dislike of Bud Adams and the former baby blue team has more than anything to do with it). But Tennessee, overall, looks to Indy as their big rivalry.

The Jags are probably our one true rivalry, and it's probably because neither of us gets much respect (not that we deserve it). We beat them in our first season, so that helps. And we've swept them and kept them out of the playoffs last season. So yeah, while it's no Cowboys/Redskins rivalry, it could be something in the future when both teams can compete and we actually have a winning season.
Old 12-19-2005   #4
MARINEJAG
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by oso
Playing the Jags has always been a good game, and to me it's a rivalry. If we beat the Jags and the Titans, then I'm happy. (Maybe that's why I liked last season last year.)

SI.com put out a photo gallery of what it called "Top 10 New NFL Rivalries." The Texans were overlooked for obvious reasons - if it isn't about Bush or our general malaise and ineptitude, then it's not a story. Her'e's the link:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mul...content.1.html

Here's the question: Would you consider Jags/Texans and Texans/Titans rivalries? (I'd also be curious to know the opinion of people from those teams.) If so, which is the bigger rivalry?

I say they are both rivalries, and as the teams improve, the rivalries will become better known. Of the two, I think the Jags is the bigger rivalry because we are both true expansion teams and, IMO, always pretty equitable on the field. Besides, I'd rather beat the Hags.

Oso,
Good post. I also responded to your 49er question in the other congrats post FYI. I think the biggest rivalry right now in the AFC South for us is probably the colts. It used to be the Titans back in the late 90's but has shifted quite a bit to the colts for us. I don't believe the whole theory of it has to be a close game for it to be considered a rivalry. I think it has to be competitive yes but I think it is whatever game the majority of the fans and team players look forward to in the season the most. I think the Jag/Texan rivalry is there and will become better just not at the level of the Colts and us. To be honest with you the Texan games are one of the ones I like to watch the most throughout the year because of the competitiveness of the games. It is always good, hard hitting, and entertaining. Once again, good luck this weekend...
MARINEJAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005   #5
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

Thanks for everyone for posting. This has been eye-opening for me. I hate to say it, but the Texans remind me of the Red Raiders. They have a lot of rivalries, but they are mostly one-sided. Here's hoping that the rivalry will be raised on Christmas Eve!!
Old 12-19-2005   #6
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARINEJAG
Oso,
Good post. I also responded to your 49er question in the other congrats post FYI. I think the biggest rivalry right now in the AFC South for us is probably the colts. It used to be the Titans back in the late 90's but has shifted quite a bit to the colts for us. I don't believe the whole theory of it has to be a close game for it to be considered a rivalry. I think it has to be competitive yes but I think it is whatever game the majority of the fans and team players look forward to in the season the most. I think the Jag/Texan rivalry is there and will become better just not at the level of the Colts and us. To be honest with you the Texan games are one of the ones I like to watch the most throughout the year because of the competitiveness of the games. It is always good, hard hitting, and entertaining. Once again, good luck this weekend...
BTW - I saw your replay. Thanks - your responses have been very informative. Thanks for posting on the board!
Old 12-19-2005   #7
touttail
All Pro

Jags and Titans are definitly our biggest rivals. Would love to have the Cowboys on our schedule every year, now that would turn into a Texas shoot out!

What if the Saints move to San Antonio, 3 Texas teams, now that would be something!!!!!

Bobby 119C:brickwall
touttail is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-19-2005   #8
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by touttail
Jags and Titans are definitly our biggest rivals. Would love to have the Cowboys on our schedule every year, now that would turn into a Texas shoot out!

What if the Saints move to San Antonio, 3 Texas teams, now that would be something!!!!!

Bobby 119C:brickwall
That would be something, but not quite the magnitude of the "Texas Triangle" ** Spurs - Mavs - Rockets ** where good teams go never to be heard from again.
Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005   #9
Fldvldog
Veteran

I wouldn't consider the texans one of our top 3 rivals. IMO, the clots are our main rivals, followed by the tacks and then the steelers.
Fldvldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005   #10
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

The true rivalries are born when you play teams in the playoffs or other big games, i.e. meaningful games with playoff implications - and they beat you. And then you meet them again in the playoffs or other big games the following year and you beat them. The closest team the Texans have as a true rival (in the opponents eyes) is Jax and it will only get bigger if the Texans beat them on Saturday.

Last edited by aj.; 12-19-2005 at 08:53 PM.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005   #11
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

If the Texans beat Jax (and I don't think that's as big an if as some might consider), it will make life a lot easier for some of the other teams looking at the play-offs from the outside in. So for the sake of adding fuel to the fire, I hope we win.
Old 12-20-2005   #12
mootini
1stdown!!!!!

Rep Power: 5440 mootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respected

Always like the games between the Texans...Last year, the Texans gained my attention with the sweep of the Jags. Here's to a start of a great rivalry.
mootini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005   #13
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 28635 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

We haven't been around long enough or have gone deep enough to have a true rivalry (as all mentioned above) - so for now, we have mini-rivalries....

Colts - to friggin beat them for once.
Jags - always a good game, a sweep, and a playoff adjuster.
Titans- the displeasure of Bud
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005   #14
Texas_Thrill
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Texas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballotTexas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

I'd rather see us get the cowboys on the schedule more often. That is the only team right now I feel provides any rivalry mainly b/c as most of you have stated it all seems to be one-sided.
Old 12-24-2005   #15
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

I wanted to add this. I am relatively new to this message board (first season), but in terms of visitors from other teams, we seem to get a lot more Jags fans than any other. Not that I'm complaining or that that is anything more than one fan's speculation. Sure, we have a few Colts and Titans regulars, and there is the usual stray fan from somewhere outside the division, but not the way we get Jags fans.
Old 12-24-2005   #16
Texan Asylum
Christian

Rep Power: 17420 Texan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respected

Same here, oso. I believe the Jags fans see us as more of a rival than they lead on. They don't want to admit to it because they see us as a far less talented team. All they see is the record...
After todays win by the Texans, hopefully the Jags fans will admit to the rivalry and give it the credance it deserves. A rivalry in the making to be amongst some of the best. GO TEXANS!!!
Old 12-24-2005   #17
Txn_in_Oki
Lucky 13

Rep Power: 26824 Txn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respected

I think it is too soon to have any real rivalries yet. I think the Lags are closest but it will take a few more years and a few more wins (like today will be) for them to really consider it one. As for the Tacks, again, it's still a one way sort of thing. We need to piss their fans off a few times for it to become one.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read