Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-19-2005   #1
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3366 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Is it me?

Or is the answer starting to become clear? There has been debate on the board whether our problem is the coaches or players. Well Carr gets to call plays the first half and the offense scores a franchise record 24 points in one quarter. Reeves comes in to evaluate talent which puts pressure on the players to perform and look at what we did yesterday. I am not saying Reeves fixes all of our problems, that our O line is fixed, or that we are now a playoff caliber team, but I think it is starting to show that our main problem is the coaches and their playcalling.
Old 12-19-2005   #2
SESupergenius

Well, keep it in perspective. We played the Cardinals, at home, with a 3rd string QB having the majority of snaps. Our defense is still just as bad as the offensive line, but they did help out the offense by creating turnovers. Capers says this often and most agree, if you win the turnover battle you're likely to win the game. The defense helps the offense and vice versa.
Old 12-19-2005   #3
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3366 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SESupergenius
Well, keep it in perspective. We played the Cardinals, at home, with a 3rd string QB having the majority of snaps. Our defense is still just as bad as the offensive line, but they did help out the offense by creating turnovers. Capers says this often and most agree, if you win the turnover battle you're likely to win the game. The defense helps the offense and vice versa.
I know it's just the Cards, but they did have/have the #1 pass offense in the league, and in the first series of the game we had 2 sacks on Warner, I can't remember, but wasn't it like game 3 or 4 when we got our first sack this season am I wrong?
Old 12-19-2005   #4
Jack Bauer
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan279
I can't remember, but wasn't it like game 3 or 4 when we got our first sack this season am I wrong?
We had a one sack in the Buffalo game and one in the Pittsburgh game, but we didn't start getting pressure on the QB until game 4, I think. I thought it was funny the announcers talking about how well we pressure the QB and I thought to myself, huh?
Jack Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005   #5
Wharton
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 11 Wharton was voted MVPWharton was voted MVPWharton was voted MVP

I don't see any answers here.

I do agree that bringing in the hatchet man (Reeves) has perked the players up a little bit.
Wharton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005   #6
Jack Bauer
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharton
I don't see any answers here.

I do agree that bringing in the hatchet man (Reeves) has perked the players up a little bit.
The answer is that we scored 24 points in one quarter when someone else besides our current coaching staff called the offensive plays.
Jack Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005   #7
Sarg01
Hall of Fame

It could be an anomaly, of course. However, given that we had a franchise-record offense for the one period of time someone else was handling the gameplan, it's an anomaly that bears further study.

Sure it was the Cards, but they rank middle of the pack (I think it was 16th and 18th when I looked it up before the game) in both rush and pass defense.
Sarg01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-19-2005   #8
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52069 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Palmer was a scape goat. Pendry's just a goat.
HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005   #9
touttail
All Pro

Quote:
Or is the answer starting to become clear? There has been debate on the board whether our problem is the coaches or players. Well Carr gets to call plays the first half and the offense scores a franchise record 24 points in one quarter. Reeves comes in to evaluate talent which puts pressure on the players to perform and look at what we did yesterday. I am not saying Reeves fixes all of our problems, that our O line is fixed, or that we are now a playoff caliber team, but I think it is starting to show that our main problem is the coaches and their playcalling.
I thought the same thing. Seems like the Texans had a little swagger now that Reeves is breathing down their backs. They seemed to play with more intensity! Even Babin came out of his shell & Faggins didn't get burned!

Bobby 119C:brickwall
touttail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005   #10
real

I dont think you can read too much from this game...other than a poor team beat another poor team... I did like the results of carr doing the play calling...he seemed to share the ball a lot better
Old 12-19-2005   #11
texan279
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx
I dont think you can read too much from this game...other than a poor team beat another poor team... I did like the results of carr doing the play calling...he seemed to share the ball a lot better
The Cardinals may not be the best team in the NFL, but they did/do have the best passing offense in the NFL, and we got 2 sacks on Warner in their first drive.
Old 12-20-2005   #12
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7857 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Is 30 points the highest we ever scored in a game?

Isn't it funny how ever since Reed got here, the coaching staff let Carr become more agressive and when they saw how good he was doing, they try to restrain him in the second half?
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005   #13
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 156011 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano
Is 30 points the highest we ever scored in a game?

Isn't it funny how ever since Reed got here, the coaching staff let Carr become more agressive and when they saw how good he was doing, they try to restrain him in the second half?
We got 31 vs. the Raiders, I think, last year. We scored 30 and 31 points last year, within a couple weeks of each other, IIRC. It might have been 30 vs. the Raiders and 31 vs. someone else (the Titans?) .... I forget exactly, but I'm pretty sure 31 is the franchise high.
eriadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005   #14
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
The Cardinals may not be the best team in the NFL, but they did/do have the best passing offense in the NFL, and we got 2 sacks on Warner in their first drive.

Yeah and Warner was 10/10 for 115 yards and a touchdown before he left in the first quarter. Navarre almost came back too. They were an extra point away from being down by only 7 and our offense couldn't move the ball. We got lucky with a ball that bounced off of a Cardinal and landed in one of our player's hands to basically seal the game with a field goal. But then after that they were moving the ball quite easily down the field before the time ran out.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005   #15
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109004 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

We saw two bad teams on Sunday. One can't run the ball (Arizona) and one can't pass the ball (Texans). One dimensional offensive units do not do well in the NFL. Warner had 35 less yards on 23 less pass attempts than Carr, and Zona can't score in the red zone because they can't run. I'm not all that excited about beating one of the stinky teams of the NFL....but I'm glad we beat the perpetual chumps of the league...we weren’t doing that earlier.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005   #16
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 Tulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVP

Quote:
I think it's pretty strong evidence. The Carr vs. Pendry halves of the Cardinals game at least re-opened the debate in our household.
Tulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005   #17
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

My caveat:

IMHO Pendry is the biggest problem on offense. I'm not defending him.

That being said, I think Carr did change the play at the line a few times in the second half. The Cardinals defense, who heard the same calls in the first half AND have the ability to learn, jumped on the new play and shifted to stop it. There was a time out burned immediately after a change of quarter or at the two minute warning or other clock stoppage (I don't remember exactly) because of that.

The next wrinkle we need to add to this burgeoning offense is the "ignore the audible" signal.
Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005   #18
big homey
Veteran

Arizona's defense is 13th overall. Is it really that hard to give a little credit to our guys?

Carr ran the offense well. Sure he needs to show it longer than just a half of football, but do we really need to find every little knock against him?
big homey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005   #19
Texan Asylum
Christian

Rep Power: 17420 Texan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respected

Carr called the game in the first half. Pendry called it in the second half. Let Carr call it all game against the Jags. That's my opinion.
Texan Asylum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005   #20
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 28048 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by big homey
Arizona's defense is 13th overall. Is it really that hard to give a little credit to our guys?

Carr ran the offense well. Sure he needs to show it longer than just a half of football, but do we really need to find every little knock against him?
I think we all would like to talk about Carr having 250 yards and 1-2 TD's every game, but they just do not happen that often. Unfortunatley there is not enough good out there to talk about unless you manufacture it.

I think we all have our fingers crossed that a new OC and HC will come in here and light that spark in our passing game.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read