Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-19-2005   #1
Frills
Veteran

Default DD's knee?

Anyone know what the issue is?

I heard swelling and pain, but what is causing it?

Seeing Wells and Morency play well yesterday, wouldn't it be a better idea to IR DD for the rest of the season, get him fixed for next year?
Frills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005   #2
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225061 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Not just yet. He's a few yard short of that all-defining 1,000 yards that he gets every year, win or lose, rain or shine. He'll sit probably next week too and then against SF he'll come out in a totally meaningless game and run for a hundred or more yards against a lousy defense. He'll get his thousand and the talking heads on TV will act like he's another Emmitt Smith or something.

Just watch and see what happens. If there's not something seriously wrong with his knee then that's what will take place.
Old 12-19-2005   #3
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 207979 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Since it's been the same injury all season long (the knee), I'm betting he has some sort of torn cartilage and will have minor surgery after the season. I am not a doctor, nor do I pretend to play one on the message boards, so that's just my SWAG.
eriadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005   #4
Jack Bauer
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel
He's a few yard short of that all-defining 1,000 yards that he gets every year, win or lose, rain or shine.
Got the sarcasm Herv...

Why is it that the media continues to place so much emphasis on 1000 yards rushing, when we all know this is commonplace now and not such an "all-defining" statistic (sarcasm detected)? The standard should be at least 1300 yards now.
Jack Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005   #5
Jack Bauer
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc
Since it's been the same injury all season long (the knee), I'm betting he has some sort of torn cartilage and will have minor surgery after the season. I am not a doctor, nor do I pretend to play one on the message boards, so that's just my SWAG.
Hey, I thought you were a doc! eria"doc"!!
Jack Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005   #6
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 207979 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

The standard of 1000 yards as a running back came about when the season was 14 games long and it averaged out to 71.something yards a game. Add two games at 72 yards, and that makes it 1144 a year. And I could be wrong, but I think it was more of a running era back then. Personally, I'm more concerned about YPC average. If we have a back that averages 4.0 YPC, then the other numbers can move around, based on game planning.
eriadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005   #7
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

He injured his knee in our first game with the Colts, probably because he carried the ball like 22 times in the first half. They held him out of the next couple games and have held him out of most practices since then but that kind of thing needs more rest so it likely won't get better until the season ends and he can take some time off.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-19-2005   #8
stevo3883
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephyr
Got the sarcasm Herv...

Why is it that the media continues to place so much emphasis on 1000 yards rushing, when we all know this is commonplace now and not such an "all-defining" statistic (sarcasm detected)? The standard should be at least 1300 yards now.

Clinton Portis had like 1350 yards last year and was considered a big disappointment.

DD gets 1000 and hes our best player on the team, and one of the best in the league.

doesn't make much sense.
Old 12-19-2005   #9
z0rpAn
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to z0rpAn Send a message via MSN to z0rpAn Send a message via Yahoo to z0rpAn

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo3883
Clinton Portis had like 1350 yards last year and was considered a big disappointment.

DD gets 1000 and hes our best player on the team, and one of the best in the league.

doesn't make much sense.
touchdowns...

<<EDIT>>

and receving yards, DD had ?1700? total last year i believe
z0rpAn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005   #10
stevo3883
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by z0rpAn
touchdowns...

<<EDIT>>

and receving yards, DD had ?1700? total last year i believe

Portis season last year is comparable to DD's this year.

but yet portis was a major disappointment, and DD is a fantastic RB.
Old 12-19-2005   #11
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 272958 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo3883

doesn't make much sense.
Pretty obvious answer--because people credited Portis with being better than he was ripping off 1500 yd 5.5 ypc seasons in Denver and then he went to Washington and it is obvious OL's actually matter for more than pass blocking and elite RB's are created as much as they are born. Doesn't mean Portis isn't better than DD, he is--just not as much as the 2003 stats would say.
Old 12-19-2005   #12
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225061 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
Pretty obvious answer--because people credited Portis with being better than he was ripping off 1500 yd 5.5 ypc seasons in Denver and then he went to Washington and it is obvious OL's actually matter for more than pass blocking and elite RB's are created as much as they are born. Doesn't mean Portis isn't better than DD, he is--just not as much as the 2003 stats would say.

But Portis is right back on track for another 1,500 yard season so how does that work? He's carrying the rock more but he's also holding up to the load and his average is going back up.

I think elite RB's are born and then they must have an opportunity to perform. Davis is on his third straight season of "opportunity" but he can't be what he isn't. Davis isn't going to ever be able to withstand a 300-350 carry season and stay healthy.
Old 12-19-2005   #13
real

DD has a ceiling of about 1250...I dont ever see him getting past 1250 rushing yards...
Old 12-19-2005   #14
touttail
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc

Thought you were hence tha name doc!

Bobby 119C:brickwall
touttail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005   #15
Frills
Veteran

Just read he'll sit out practice all week and be a game time decision.

Is there really any harm in IR'ing him now?
Old 12-20-2005   #16
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Okay, so seeing how many pro athletes who have surgery struggle for the better part of the start of the season, do we still think not getting Bush is a good thing?

I know Wells and Morency are good but they can't carry the load for a half season.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005   #17
Frills
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano
Okay, so seeing how many pro athletes who have surgery struggle for the better part of the start of the season, do we still think not getting Bush is a good thing?

I know Wells and Morency are good but they can't carry the load for a half season.
Bush averages 13 carries a game, Wells can carry more of a load than Bush ever will
Old 12-20-2005   #18
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frills
Just read he'll sit out practice all week and be a game time decision.

Is there really any harm in IR'ing him now?
Why would we bother to IR him with two games left? It's not like we need to open up a roster spot for Jonathan Anderson to be promoted from the practice squad.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005   #19
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1330 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run

Wells has had less then 100 carries this year. He has started a few games (Indy, Jags, Arizona) that means that in the rest of the season, when DD is playing, he has had about 40 carries. I really dont understand this staff in not using anyone else to share the carries. The only time we run is when DD is in the game and every season he gets hurt. If our coaches acctually learned how to use the bench, DD would be healthy the whole year and be flirting with 1300 rushing yards...
Old 12-20-2005   #20
Texan Asylum
Christian

Rep Power: 17420 Texan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respected

Wait a minute, that would mean that the coaching staff would be multi-taskers and I don't think that was a requirement to be a coach for this team.
Texan Asylum is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read