Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-19-2005   #1
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1341 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Another 3rd string QB outperforms Carr

I know... there will be 1,000 excuses for the guy in this thread, but the fact remains that another 3rd string QB outperformed the Texans' "franchise quarterback".

Carr 22/33 for 150 yards, 0 TD, 1 INT
Navarre 14/24 for 174 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT

Carr makes the same mistakes week after week (runs into sacks, locks onto 1 receiver, will not throw the ball for his receiver to make a play on it) and people continue to make excuses for him. I just don't get it.
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005   #2
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by the wonger need food
I know... there will be 1,000 excuses for the guy in this thread, but the fact remains that another 3rd string QB outperformed the Texans' "franchise quarterback".

Carr makes the same mistakes week after week (runs into sacks, locks onto 1 receiver, will not throw the ball for his receiver to make a play on it) and people continue to make excuses for him. I just don't get it.
Navarre stinks. Carr is just overpaid.
Old 12-19-2005   #3
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13829 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Runs into sacks? Sure some of Carr's sacks are his fault when he runs out of bounds, never actually seen him run into a sack though. Locks onto 1 receiver? When has he had time to check more than one option? As far as throwing a ball for a WR to make a play, we really only have one playmaker at WR, AJ. Although I have seen AJ and Bradford drop balls this season that were in their hands.
Old 12-19-2005   #4
SESupergenius

Quote:

Carr plays defense? That all sounds good for fantasy games and all, but Carr has the victory and the coaches took over the second half. Carr didn't really need to throw the ball the 2nd half, NAvarre did.
Old 12-19-2005   #5
Jack Bauer
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan279
When has he had time to check more than one option?
This is my point to the criticism that he "locks" into one receiver. He barely has time to look at option number one before the pressure comes.
Jack Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005   #6
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1341 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

Keep'em coming. I know there are a lot more Carr apologists out there!
Old 12-19-2005   #7
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13829 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Keep'em coming. I know there are a lot more Carr apologists out there!
If you read some of my posts from preseason and much earlier in the year, I was not the biggest supporter of Carr. I have come to realize though, he is doing what he can with what he has around him. He has one playmaker at WR, a solid RB, and a horrible pass blocking offensive line. I am not going to give up on Carr and I don't think the front office is either. Sure he makes mistakes, but until I see Carr behind at least a decent offensive line, I am not sold on him being a horrible QB.
Old 12-19-2005   #8
Texan Asylum
Christian

Rep Power: 39634 Texan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respected

Carr has been groomed for these butt whippings for years now. The failure to address the OL problem has resulted in what comes to him naturally. The fact that he can still go out and perform is a testament to his toughness and character. Not bad traits to build a franchise QB around.
Texan Asylum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005   #9
SESupergenius

We've seen what this offensive can do when we don't go to the quick hitches or 2 second drops. They fail time and time again. Carr has his good and his bad, just like every QB does, but until I see this oline upgraded then I see no reason to put it all on him.

I did see Carr take a shot yesterday in the chest and get right back up. He's a tough QB, a pretty boy, but still can take a shot.
Old 12-19-2005   #10
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 38175 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316

Breaking news: Wonger hates David Carr.

In other news: Water is wet,grass is green and the Steelers wear Black and Gold.
Old 12-19-2005   #11
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaShark316

In other news: Water is wet,grass is green and the Steelers wear Black and Gold.
You forgot that the Reliant Stadium roof is closed.
Old 12-19-2005   #12
z0rpAn
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to z0rpAn Send a message via MSN to z0rpAn Send a message via Yahoo to z0rpAn

Quote:

Carr 66% completions
Navarre 58% completions

Different teams have different systems. With 3 step drops you don't get great yardage and we aren't a team that constantly throws 10 yards down the field.

Carr played a better secondary, where Navarre played ours...

Quote:
People continue to make excuses for him. I just don't get it.
Maybe because you keep TRYING to bash him. Yardage statistics aren't everything. TDs-INTs for Carr don't mean much looking at our offense, yes he threw an INT, but who doesn't? Our offense is a rushing offense, thus unless the rush fails in the redzone, Carr wont get the opportunity to make a touchdown TD.

And as far as Carr running into sacks. The only way I can understand that is he is avoiding other pass rushers and making sure his own guys don't knock him down by being forced into him.

It would be nice if you actually knew how this team works before you go bashing individuals.
z0rpAn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005   #13
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Not true, I like David Carr and want him to succeed. I've watched every snap of his pro career and think he is one tough SOB and has a ton of heart. But he is just not an NFL quarterback. He has the tools but is severely lacking when it comes to the mental aspects of the game. The guy is in his 4th season and still plays like a rookie or worse at times.
Old 12-19-2005   #14
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerek
Hey, I am curious, what does your name mean any way?
I would suspect it is a line from the Breakfast Club.
Old 12-19-2005   #15
Frills
Veteran

I guess him calling the plays and having the team score the most points in a quarter are a tribute to his lacking mental compentancy at the position.

Just wondering who would you consider good NFL QB's at this point of the season?
Frills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005   #16
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by z0rpAn
Carr 66% completions
Navarre 58% completions

Different teams have different systems. With 3 step drops you don't get great yardage and we aren't a team that constantly throws 10 yards down the field.

Carr played a better secondary, where Navarre played ours...

Maybe because you keep TRYING to bash him. Yardage statistics aren't everything. TDs-INTs for Carr don't mean much looking at our offense, yes he threw an INT, but who doesn't? Our offense is a rushing offense, thus unless the rush fails in the redzone, Carr wont get the opportunity to make a touchdown TD.

And as far as Carr running into sacks. The only way I can understand that is he is avoiding other pass rushers and making sure his own guys don't knock him down by being forced into him.

It would be nice if you actually knew how this team works before you go bashing individuals.
I know exactly how this team works. I (as most everyone on this board is capable of) can predict 90% of their play calls at the line of scrimmage. What does that have to anything? When he is actually put in position to make a play he throws the ball out of bounds instead of giving his receiver a chance to make a play, or he dumps the ball off, or he runs himself into a sack. I sat in the end zone yesterday and saw receivers open toward the middle of the field on several occassions, but he will not take his eyes off of his primary target and find the secondary guys.
Old 12-19-2005   #17
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frills
I guess him calling the plays and having the team score the most points in a quarter are a tribute to his lacking mental compentancy at the position.

Just wondering who would you consider good NFL QB's at this point of the season?
Yes, he did check off to the off tackle left running play with great success yesterday. And his hitch passes were on the money.

Who would I consider a good NFL QB... Anyone that can throw the ball more than 10 yards down the field. Or in the middle of the field. It took the guy 3 games into his 4th season to figure out throwing the ball away is better than running out of bounds for minus yards.
Old 12-19-2005   #18
Texan Asylum
Christian

Rep Power: 39634 Texan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respected

Very observant on our parts to find the open receiver during a game BUT we're not members of the "Sack of the Week" club like our good friend DC is. If we are to condemn him for what he has had to work with as far as a line goes then perhaps a little time with an improved line is warranted before we judge him on his capibilities.
Texan Asylum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005   #19
Frills
Veteran

Quote:
Yes, he did check off to the off tackle left running play with great success yesterday. And his hitch passes were on the money.

Who would I consider a good NFL QB... Anyone that can throw the ball more than 10 yards down the field. Or in the middle of the field. It took the guy 3 games into his 4th season to figure out throwing the ball away is better than running out of bounds for minus yards.

Name a few QB's you think are good. I'll help ya out, Brady, P. Manning, Big Ben...Those are the obivous ones...think a few mins, and come up with some others, surely there aren't only 3.
Frills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005   #20
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 406301 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
the Steelers wear Black and Gold.
I think it's black and yellow, regardless of what those Steeler knuckleheads want to believe.

Gold is the color of the 49ers or Saints helmets.

With regards to Carr, I think there are still some troubling tendencies that he's carried from college. Unfortunately, he did not have the luxury of getting drafted by an existing team that could develop his strengths while negating his weaknesses. Instead of sitting out a year (or more) to learn the NFL, he was thrown to the wolves behind an untested o-line.

His constant run-for-the-hills of his first four seasons has done nothing but distract him from becoming a better QB. He could be a broken player right now, because there were some instances yesterday that just screamed "bad decision".

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read