Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 12-19-2005   #1
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer
Default Casserly on Cold Pizza

Charley Casserly was just on Cold Pizza. He was asked directly about Reggie Bush which of course he said that he isn't allowed to talk about undeclared underclassmen. But he did say that he felt the second pick may be more valuable than the first purely for trade reasons because neither San Francisco or the Texans need a quarterback and that Matt Leinart will generate a lot of interest from other teams.

He said that David Carr is going to be the Texans quarterback and that they are just working out some technical issues on the contract extension right now and it should be done in the next few weeks.

He was then asked about what he felt the biggest needs for the Texans will be in the draft and the offseason. He said that offensively they need playmakers since they only have a few (Davis, Johnson, Carr). Defensively, he said that they have a lot of young players and would like for them to develop and work together. But they will also look to supplement them with more young players in the draft.

Take it for what it's worth, but it sounds like if the Texans remain at the #1 position they will in fact draft Reggie Bush.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005   #2
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Sounds to me that he could be interested in trading down from the #2 spot. I seriously doubt now that we end up with the #1 pick.
Old 12-19-2005   #3
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Yeah if we have the #2, expect us to trade down. But right now I don't think we can even get to the #2 unless the Saints, Jets, and Packers win games. We will either have #1 or #5.
Old 12-19-2005   #4
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

I'd love to see the Packers win tonight.
Old 12-19-2005   #5
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan
Charley Casserly was just on Cold Pizza. He was asked directly about Reggie Bush which of course he said that he isn't allowed to talk about undeclared underclassmen. But he did say that he felt the second pick may be more valuable than the first purely for trade reasons because neither San Francisco or the Texans need a quarterback and that Matt Leinart will generate a lot of interest from other teams.

He said that David Carr is going to be the Texans quarterback and that they are just working out some technical issues on the contract extension right now and it should be done in the next few weeks.

He was then asked about what he felt the biggest needs for the Texans will be in the draft and the offseason. He said that offensively they need playmakers since they only have a few (Davis, Johnson, Carr). Defensively, he said that they have a lot of young players and would like for them to develop and work together. But they will also look to supplement them with more young players in the draft.

Take it for what it's worth, but it sounds like if the Texans remain at the #1 position they will in fact draft Reggie Bush.
He said Davis was a playmaker, which I take to mean that we will not blow the #1 overall and $50 million on bringing in his backup at RB. If we have #1 we can entertain offers from other teams but trade down to #2 and pick up a draft pick in there and then trade down from there to pick up more. I really don't see the Texans drafting Bush even if they are at #1, and that's not just my personal opinion but what I've gathered from hearing from them.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005   #6
real

but he said they needed more playmakers on offense
Old 12-19-2005   #7
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx
YUP, and the duffus never mentioned anything about either line needing help. Lord help us if he is still around to pick during the draft.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-19-2005   #8
Jack Bauer
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783
YUP, and the duffus never mentioned anything about either line needing help. Lord help us if he is still around to pick during the draft.
I can't fathom Casserly still being here come draft time. If he is,
Jack Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005   #9
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorKnolle
He said Davis was a playmaker, which I take to mean that we will not blow the #1 overall and $50 million on bringing in his backup at RB. If we have #1 we can entertain offers from other teams but trade down to #2 and pick up a draft pick in there and then trade down from there to pick up more. I really don't see the Texans drafting Bush even if they are at #1, and that's not just my personal opinion but what I've gathered from hearing from them.

You're right, why would I think that when he said that we need more playmakers on offense and we have the chance to draft the best playmaker in the college football that we would pass him up?
Old 12-19-2005   #10
Sarg01
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Yeah if we have the #2, expect us to trade down. But right now I don't think we can even get to the #2 unless the Saints, Jets, and Packers win games. We will either have #1 or #5.
After the games this weekend, we're up 2 on the Packers strength of schedule and have a chance of being even with the Saints if Green Bay wins tonight (which would also improve the Pack to 4-wins). They're playing 4-win Baltimore, so there's a real chance.

The only sub-4-win team skunking us in the tiebreak is the Jets.
Sarg01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005   #11
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx
Quote:
You're right, why would I think that when he said that we need more playmakers on offense and we have the chance to draft the best playmaker in the college football that we would pass him up?
We wouldn't need to spend that high of a draft pick and so much money on a playmaker at a position that we already have a playmaker. We could use another one at WR (although Mathis should start becoming more of a threat at WR next year) but likewise you don't spend $50 million and a #1 pick on a WR. It won't happen, the Texans will not draft Bush.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005   #12
HomeBred_Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 HomeBred_Texan is a Pro BowlerHomeBred_Texan is a Pro Bowler
Default C.C. on Cold Pizza this Morning

I saw an interview with Charlie this morning on Cold Pizza, did anyone else see it?

Basically, what he says is, we have no intentions of drafting a QB in next year as the owner likes Carr and he will be resigned. He said he couldnt talk about R Bush because he is a jr and prohibited by rules. This win was a big step forward and that if we do not get the #1 pick in the draft, look for trades to be made.
Old 12-19-2005   #13
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeBred_Texan
I saw an interview with Charlie this morning on Cold Pizza, did anyone else see it?

Basically, what he says is, we have no intentions of drafting a QB in next year as the owner likes Carr and he will be resigned. He said he couldnt talk about R Bush because he is a jr and prohibited by rules. This win was a big step forward and that if we do not get the #1 pick in the draft, look for trades to be made.
there was thread started in another forum on this one.
Old 12-19-2005   #14
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 317168 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Hate to rain on anyone's parade, but I seriously doubt we get the no. 1 pick.

And if the no. 2 pick is that valuable, then I hope we see some wheeling and dealing for it. We've got a lot of holes to fill, and the more picks the merrier, IMO.
Old 12-19-2005   #15
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

just yet another example of driving down bargaining power :brickwall why on earth would we show our hand, holding a valuable, tradable commodity this is economics 101. I'd say if we have the #2 pick (doubtfull) the Texans select Leinart, then see how serious some of these teams really are. worse case scenero we have a QB controversey/competition and a new franchise QB in either two or three years depending on the length & tradeablity of Carr's new contract.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005   #16
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover
just yet another example of driving down bargaining power :brickwall why on earth would we show our hand, holding a valuable, tradable commodity this is economics 101. I'd say if we have the #2 pick (doubtfull) the Texans select Leinart, then see how serious some of these teams really are. worse case scenero we have a QB controversey/competition and a new franchise QB in either two or three years depending on the length & tradeablity of Carr's new contract.
So you are saying if we re-sign Carr for 2 or 3 years and pay him the $8 mil or whatever it is, we should pick Leinhart?
Old 12-19-2005   #17
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I do not want to discount the practice you are preaching. But I do not see the value in having all of that money tied up in a QB, even if we got rid of Carr.
Old 12-19-2005   #18
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro
I do not want to discount the practice you are preaching. But I do not see the value in having all of that money tied up in a QB, even if we got rid of Carr.
its worked well for San Diego & gives you a bargaining chip, ace in the hole plus insurance. the point is reaching a trade scenero that best benifits the franchise from a buisness stand point. Top dollars usually go to QB's not RB's anyway, unless your a premium back like Reggie Bush.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005   #19
bigcarlos
Veteran

That interview might have been for nothing. Hopefully Casserly will be gone the day after our season is over. maybe Cold pizza couldnt get anyone to interview.
bigcarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005   #20
big homey
Veteran

Quote:
The Texans could still have leverage because more than one team will be gunning for Leinart, and they will try to get a leg up on each other.
big homey is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read