Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-19-2005   #1
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected
Default I want Wade Phillips

Im about convinced that Wade Phillips is the guy we need for HC.

Hes a Houston name.. he could fix this defense and put the talent we do have to use.. and a defensive minded coach would benefit the most from the one strength of our offense, the running game.

I think that our defense could be "ready"..as far as talent goes..with just 2 good draft picks.

What im worried about is if the Chargers make the post season. Unless its been changed.. people will start hiring and firing coaches right before the post season... except of course for the teams that will be in the playoffs. If the Chargers make the playoffs..or worse..go deep into them.. to get Wade we would have to wait for them to be eliminated, or till after the superbowl. If Wade was to then turn down the job.. we would be stuck without our HC, and with the best available HCs probably already taken by other teams.

Just a thought.

Who else thinks Phillips is the answer? anyone?
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005   #2
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

oh and BTW.. one snag with Phillips.

Here is a "did you know" for ya.

Did you know that Joe Pendry was Wade Phillips offensive coordinator when he was head coach of the Buffalo Bills in 1998-2000?

Wonder if that means Pendry would stay as HC. God I hope not.
Old 12-19-2005   #3
Bullpen Drew
All Pro

Well, as much as he is a well known name around Houston, I don't think he would make a good coach for us. He didn't exactly get the Bills far into the playoffs....

I think Dan Reeves is a better choice...

BTW, Try the Bullpen Drew BBQ joint! Our motto...

"Nobody beats my meat!"
Bullpen Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005   #4
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullpen Drew
Well, as much as he is a well known name around Houston, I don't think he would make a good coach for us. He didn't exactly get the Bills far into the playoffs....

I think Dan Reeves is a better choice...
He went 21-11 in two years there before being fired for an 8-8 season (Heck his Dad Bum went 10-4 then setback to 8-6 right before the Earl years). Those Bills were the Doug Flutie/Rob Johnson Bills as well, not the Jim Kelly/Thurman Thomas/Andre Reed version.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005   #5
Jack Bauer
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
He went 21-11 in two years there before being fired for an 8-8 season. Those were the Doug Flutie/Rob Johnson Bills as well, not the Jim Kelly/Thurman Thomas/Andre Reed version.
And what have they done since Wade Phillips? Nothing. I think he would be a good hire. He is not my first choice, but I wouldn't be upset if he is the hire.
Jack Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005   #6
FirstTexansFan
The Unknown Fan

Rep Power: 29448 FirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to FirstTexansFan

After all I've done for ya son? I mean, I've explained in detail why we want Jimmy Johnson, yet you go against me publicly? Well, this is the final straw, I'm removing YOU <Grid> from my personal will...<yes, I know him in RL>...hehe Ok, sorry for the rant, my choices JJ, Kubiak, and Phillips, in that order. No, I don't want Reeves as HC, qualified yes, but he's had personnel issues in the past <Didn't get along with John Elway i.e.> that cause me concern. Not to mention, I'm tired of three yards and a cloud of dust. I want a more exciting offense. Now, a plus for Phillips, anyone that can put a defense on the field that can confuse Peyton Manning, causing him great grief is a guy we want. We play that sucker twice a year, and so far, he's looked like the second coming of JC everytime we've played him! But I can't help but lean to a more offensive minded HC, and also the proven winner mentality that both JJ and Kubiak bring to the table. Only time will tell though, and at this point, I've yet to win the Lotto, so I won't be buying McNair out and making these decisions....aaaaah, fantasy football at it's best, ain't life grand?
FirstTexansFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005   #7
Texas_Thrill
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Texas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballotTexas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

No Reeves or Philips. I want a non-recycled coach.
Old 12-19-2005   #8
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Our problem is on Offense. If we take Phillips we have to get rid of Carr. Carr is not able to lead this offense. I would rather see us bring an offensive minded coach and be the leader of the offense, essentially take ownership. On the defensive side of the ball I believe we need attitude, better scheme and some new tackling drills to go with our speed.
Old 12-19-2005   #9
Jack Bauer
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Thrill
No Reeves or Philips. I want a non-recycled coach.
My comments are general, not just toward this post.

My observations:

When we have a coach who has coached before, we want a "non-recycled" coach. When we have a "new" coach, we want a coach with experience.

Same goes with temperment. We want a disciplinarian when we have a player's coach and we want a player's coach when we have a disciplinarian.

Me personally, I just want the right coach for the job.
Old 12-19-2005   #10
Texas_Thrill
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Texas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballotTexas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Well I'm not asking for a coach with HC coaching experience. Just don't bring the bum off the street. However, I want a coach that's going to be able to leave a mark on the city and the team for a long time. Like Cowher has done in Pittsburgh. I mean I'd like to see us get a young upcoming coordinator who can be a long-term answer for this team.

Dan Reeves is collecting social security.

KUBIAK!!!! or DONNELLY!!!!
Old 12-19-2005   #11
SESupergenius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro
Carr is not able to lead this offense.
You must have missed the last game. Carr led this team to victory, you might want to read the papers or something to verify it.

Carr will be here and consistantly answers the calls by the Carr Haters. If we switched to a west coast style offense then it would be like night and day. Phillips would still run the 3-4 which is perfectly fine with me, but then we'd still have Casserly to give him crap to work with.
Old 12-19-2005   #12
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

[quote=SESupergenius]You must have missed the last game. Carr led this team to victory, you might want to read the papers or something to verify it. QUOTE]

We have discussed this before, a half of football is not a trend. Give me two full games and I will come over to your side.
Old 12-19-2005   #13
Jack Bauer
All Pro

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SESupergenius
You must have missed the last game. Carr led this team to victory, you might want to read the papers or something to verify it.
We have discussed this before, a half of football is not a trend. Give me two full games and I will come over to your side.
The coaches will not turn over the reigns to him for two full games. Carr is going to have the option picked up. You will have at least another year to change your mind. With a new coaching staff, we will see what happens.
Old 12-19-2005   #14
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 314423 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd be happy with Wade Phillips. After reading up on his resume, I think he could be one of the right men for the job.

We've been building 3-4 talent, and his preferred defense is a 3-4 (did you see the Chargers against the Colts?! Now that's a 3-4!).
Old 12-19-2005   #15
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 54346 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Our problem is on Offense. If we take Phillips we have to get rid of Carr. Carr is not able to lead this offense. I would rather see us bring an offensive minded coach and be the leader of the offense, essentially take ownership. On the defensive side of the ball I believe we need attitude, better scheme and some new tackling drills to go with our speed.
Not the sharpest knife in the drawer here.
Could you explain your reasoning or can we just substitute any name for Phillips for the coach we bring in here?

Old 12-19-2005   #16
Frills
Veteran

Pat Hill

Frank Beamer...signed extension w/va tech

Stoops

Kubiak
Frills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005   #17
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuppacoffee
Not the sharpest knife in the drawer here.
Could you explain your reasoning or can we just substitute any name for Phillips for the coach we bring in here?

Hold on a second professor. My reasoning was in there. How does a defensive minded HC, who will be replacing a defensive minded HC, help the serious investment we have made on the offensive side of the ball - DC, AJ, re up on DD and one of the top paid offensive lines in the game.

Sir step away from the coffee.
Old 12-19-2005   #18
Grid
Hall of Fame

well by that logic.. how would an offensive minded coach help the investments we have made in the defense?

gimme a break.. just cause a coach is offensive or defensive minded.. doesnt mean he ignores the other side of the ball and that the team should just fire any talent they have over there to keep from wasting them.

what a load of ****.
Old 12-19-2005   #19
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid
well by that logic.. how would an offensive minded coach help the investments we have made in the defense?

gimme a break.. just cause a coach is offensive or defensive minded.. doesnt mean he ignores the other side of the ball and that the team should just fire any talent they have over there to keep from wasting them.

what a load of ****.
7 of the top 11 cap hits against in 2006 will be on the offensive side of the ball. Two of those hits are from Walker and Payne who were on our inaugarul roster. The two other have been recent FA signings, Smith and Greenwood.

We need a guy to come in here that cut his teeth on the offensive side of the ball and instill a philsophy that he can implement and install effectively to take advantage of the current investment.

http://www.houstonprofootball.com/cap2006.html
Old 12-19-2005   #20
GoneTexan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid
Im about convinced that Wade Phillips is the guy we need for HC.

Hes a Houston name.. he could fix this defense and put the talent we do have to use.. and a defensive minded coach would benefit the most from the one strength of our offense, the running game.

I think that our defense could be "ready"..as far as talent goes..with just 2 good draft picks.

What im worried about is if the Chargers make the post season. Unless its been changed.. people will start hiring and firing coaches right before the post season... except of course for the teams that will be in the playoffs. If the Chargers make the playoffs..or worse..go deep into them.. to get Wade we would have to wait for them to be eliminated, or till after the superbowl. If Wade was to then turn down the job.. we would be stuck without our HC, and with the best available HCs probably already taken by other teams.

Just a thought.

Who else thinks Phillips is the answer? anyone?

Hey Grid,

I wouldn't worry about the Chargers making it to the play-offs... PIT has control of the wild card. CHOKERS lost it playing Miami last weekend... they have K.C and Denver to play (both are rivalries). I think the Chargers chance will be gone after they lose to the cold weather in K.C. If Wade is the man you want, I hope they stop the RUN in both games! Just becareful in what you wish for.... I just wish we have a Coach that will retire in good company as the NFL LEGENDS! This will take time and support from all the TEXAN FANS!
GoneTexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read