Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-19-2005   #1
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 80316 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Winning the next 2 games could be a disaster for the future

I know most of you are not rooting against the Texans. I honestly don't actively root against them either however if the Texans finish 4-12 they not only would not have the #1 pick, they may not have a top 5 pick.

I was looking at the standings and this has to be the worst season I have ever seen for being bad. There are so many horrible teams this year with 4 or less wins. Right now there are 11 teams (a 3rd of the league) that have 4 wins or less out of 14 games. 5 teams have 3 or less wins and 2 have 2 wins or less. If the season ended today a 4-10 team would be drafting at #11.

I am sure some of these 4 win teams will play each other, however on the surface, right now it looks like a team could finish 4-12 this season and only have the 11th pick in the draft. Ouch.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005   #2
non natural texan
Rookie

Ahhh... I just say win the rest since we won today. I gurantee the guys won't let Jacksonville run all over them and the 49ers game will probaly go their way considering that the threats of firings and cuts are ringing much louder for the Texans than the 49ers.

Remember the guys on the team are playing for a paycheck, not for next season because as it stands right now for a lot of players if they stink it up these last two they will be looking for another job in the spring. You don't always get picked up after being cut from the worst team. Never forget that the team isn't playing for you, they're playing for themselves and the team before the fans.

Also looking way ahead, aside from Bush is their anyone other than the lineman from B.C. that we could miss out in picking from the 5-10 spot? No, Linert and Young are not options. Unless we trade them away.
non natural texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005   #3
Bobo
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns
I know most of you are not rooting against the Texans. I honestly don't actively root against them either however if the Texans finish 4-12 they not only would not have the #1 pick, they may not have a top 5 pick.

I was looking at the standings and this has to be the worst season I have ever seen for being bad. There are so many horrible teams this year with 4 or less wins. Right now there are 11 teams (a 3rd of the league) that have 4 wins or less out of 14 games. 5 teams have 3 or less wins and 2 have 2 wins or less. If the season ended today a 4-10 team would be drafting at #11.

I am sure some of these 4 win teams will play each other, however on the surface, right now it looks like a team could finish 4-12 this season and only have the 11th pick in the draft. Ouch.
Win the rest, then trade the pick -- no matter what it is.
Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005   #4
Keyser Soze
Rookie

It took us until the 14th week of the season to not be the worst team in the league. Now we're just tied for being the worst.

To go through 85% of the season as the worst team in the NFL, only to finish with a draft pick outside of the top 5 - who could be happy about that?

Only the Texans could manage that. It's been that kind of year.
Keyser Soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005   #5
non natural texan
Rookie

Agreed, we've been this bad so far why not just seal the deal... but again the players aren't close to thinking that way.
non natural texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005   #6
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Rooting to be the worst team in the league just so you can have the first pick of the draft tells me a lot about this fan base. And what it tells me is not flattering btw.

I'm sick of losing too but I'm getting so freaking tired of hearing [that name] I'm about to (with all due apologies to Preston, Jamie, et al) go postal.

I would take [that name] if we happened to end up with the first pick but to actually go out of your way to try to get that pick? That should be sickening to anyone who has any morsel of competitive spirit their body. I want to win every time we take the field even though I know it won't happen.

I was talking to this random guy yesterday before the game - we were down in the first row - Toro's tunnel in front of Section 101, and after listening to his "we need to lose today" rant, he started going off on all kinds of ridiculous things which ...... I tuned out so I could turn my attention to the pregame skit because it was more intellectually stimulating.

Speaking of that, Toro came dangerously close to running over Phillip Burguieres (Texans Vice Chair and #2 man) as he sped out of the tunnel with his four wheeler to body slam the redbird. Mr B was just standing there talking to his wife and he was so startled, he jumped about a foot in the air as Toro sped past - missed him by a foot maybe. There was a policeman there who was keeping the area 'clear' but where I work, the safety dept would log that one as a close call.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005   #7
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Yesterdays result was really a lose-lose situation. After Warner and his backup were both knocked out of the game in the first half, its a wasted
effort to prove we can go 500 against 3rd string QBs. And we probably took a costly step backwards in next Aprils college Draft.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-19-2005   #8
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 134301 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I hope we win out and hire a new coach and get on with the off season purging. I'm too competitive to root for anything I do or support to fail, and this team will undergo changes no matter what happens at this point. I want these players thinking they are part of the answer and not a part of the problem going into this critical offseason. I'm sick of this team being a national joke and I'm glad we are showing we are not the league's most embarrassing team by beating a sad sack Cardinals franchise with a loser owner and his loser team. There are plenty of young men in this draft who can make our team better.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005   #9
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 24376 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

Winning the next two games would be a great morale boost for the the team and it's fans going into the offseason. Realizing that we're not as broke as we think we were (not as much as say the 'niners or cards) and that a "demi-god" would be a nice addition, but may allow us to focus to other needs.

So, we drop in the overall pick - wow, so that means our GM and scouts may actually have to do some research, game planning, and mock drafts this offseason? Imagine that.

Being at the game, loved that that fans were cheering the accomplishments and then the standing applause after the win as the team left the field - that had to make them feel good.

I understand the long term arguement, but since the draft is a hit / miss - I'd rather see what we have now. And if would've lost again yesterday... to a 3rd stringer.... the team, owner, consultant, media, fans.... would've had a field day with that one.
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005   #10
Texas_Thrill
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Texas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballotTexas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

I'm not so sure about that. I have an uneasy feeling that winning out might prompt mcnair to bring casserly or capers or both back. Make Reeves Director of player personnel???

I want us to win but at what cost to the LONG-term implications of this team I'm not so sure. Sometimes taking a step BACK helps you take many more FORWARD.
Old 12-19-2005   #11
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Here is a thought for all of the people who want Bush, write the Texans front office and ask them to trade up for the #1 in the event we do not get it. If he is as valuable as you think then go ahead and let us know who and what you would like to give up? Otherwise go and root for the other two losing Texan teams (this week) - Saints and Cowboys.
Old 12-19-2005   #12
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 134301 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Thrill
I want us to win but at what cost to the LONG-term implications of this team I'm not so sure. Sometimes taking a step BACK helps you take many more FORWARD.
Reinforcing the fact that you are a loser (players of course) is more damaging to this team long term than this team trying hard and figuring they are a collection of losers who can't compete. It's impossible to turn over the majority of this roster overnight.....I would rather not have losing disease their collective minds.

Old 12-19-2005   #13
Texas_Thrill
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Texas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballotTexas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

I don't believe us as fans nor this team believe they are losers Vinny. I think we can attribute a great deal of this teams problems to some poor coaching and being OVERLY conservative. I think a new coaching staff brings a new attitude regardless of how much of the roster we turn over or don't.

For goodness sake look at the Bengals before Lewis.
Old 12-19-2005   #14
Jack Bauer
All Pro

The Bengals are a good example of why we want to win these last two games. Once you fall into a "Loser" mentality, it is hard to get out of that mentality. It took someone like Marvin Lewis to make it work.

WHY DIDN'T WE HIRE MARVIN LEWIS WHEN WE HAD THE CHANCE???

I know, hindsight is 20/20. :brickwall
Jack Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005   #15
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
I don't believe us as fans nor this team believe they are losers Vinny.
Losing over and over and being physically beat in a physical game gives you a different mindset and you become one even though you may not think you are one personally. In the back of your mind you know you have been beat down before and you know you can only pick on teams like the Cardinals....who happen to be losers, like you.
Quote:

For goodness sake look at the Bengals before Lewis.
and they were losers and the joke of the NFL for a over decade....all while rooting for that draft slot. I may not have a decade to wait and I don't want our team to be the joke of the league for any length of time.

Old 12-19-2005   #16
SteelBlueToro
Veteran

Quote:
I'm not so sure about that. I have an uneasy feeling that winning out might prompt mcnair to bring casserly or capers or both back. Make Reeves Director of player personnel???

Yep...
SteelBlueToro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005   #17
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 208669 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

If we win a few and drop some spots in the draft, it'll just put us in better position to draft what we should in the first place. Go Texans! Win out!!
eriadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005   #18
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

There is too much short term thinking on this board. I say after we tank this season and get Bush, we tank the next season and get Brady Quinn - maybe Vince Young. It is too early for me to say if we should tank a third season; I need a chance to look at next year's underclassmen.

Following this plan we could be very talented in 3-5 years, if we can work the cap to keep everybody.
Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005   #19
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner
There is too much short term thinking on this board. I say after we tank this season and get Bush, we tank the next season and get Brady Quinn - maybe Vince Young. It is too early for me to say if we should tank a third season; I need a chance to look at next year's underclassmen.

Following this plan we could be very talented in 3-5 years, if we can work the cap to keep everybody.
Nice.
Old 12-19-2005   #20
Bobo
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyser Soze
It took us until the 14th week of the season to not be the worst team in the league. Now we're just tied for being the worst.

To go through 85% of the season as the worst team in the NFL, only to finish with a draft pick outside of the top 5 - who could be happy about that?

Only the Texans could manage that. It's been that kind of year.
I could care less if the pick is #1 or 3 or 5 or what. The goal is always to win, no matter what the record. I'm happy when the team wins, even if it is just the second victory. Whatever the draft pick is, it will have trade value.
Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read