Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-18-2005   #1
TexansAllTheWayBaby
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 TexansAllTheWayBaby is a Pro BowlerTexansAllTheWayBaby is a Pro Bowler
Send a message via AIM to TexansAllTheWayBaby
Thumbs up My Thoughts on Today's Game vs. Arizona

Well, today was a tremendous game by our Houston Texans.

I thought we fought. We fought with emotion and itensity. Two key elements. We picked up a big win, and I'm proud of it.

In terms of offense, we played nice. Our execution shined today, we completed passes, and established a solid running game. This one obviously one of the better offense games we played this year.

Defensively, steller performance I feel. We pressured the passer from various angles, and the result was a good number of sacks on the day. We also got 2 interceptions. That is the sign of a good defense.

In the third phase of the game, special teams, a significant improvement from last week. Kris Brown nailed his field goals, we had solid punt and kick returns, and for the most part good punts. We also foreced a fumble on special teams, when we kicked off to them. Great job.

It takes courage to fight the way we did today given the situation. I thought their was a lot of speculation on whether our team was playing full force or not due to the no. 1 pick, and today's game ended all of that talk. Our team consists of fighters. I've always said that and I strongly stick to it today.

With a team like this, we can experience many more days like this.

Fans- superve job at Reliant Stadium today, I apploude you. I also credit you who cheered on greatly for a Texans win at home, as I did.

Good win today, now we can build on it next week against a Jacksonville team which will be fighting for a playoff berth, similar to last year when we played them.

Go Texans!
Old 12-18-2005   #2
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansAllTheWayBaby
...we completed passes...
Yeah, we got that hitch pass down.

Kurt Warner had 35 less passing yards than Carr...on 23 less attempts. (And I think Warner only played one quarter.)

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005   #3
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

We got lucky. Warner was looking really good even on one leg. I have no doubt that if he played the entire game we would've been blown out.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005   #4
Goldeagle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Goldeagle is a Pro BowlerGoldeagle is a Pro Bowler
Send a message via Yahoo to Goldeagle

Yes, Warner is a great QB, and if we had an O-line we would not have to do a 1 step drop pass all the time. Its embarassing to see what we have to call for our offense due to these guys.

I really hope to kick the you know what out of Jax since they are our Rival. Be nice to rain on their parade.
Goldeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005   #5
bpergrem3
Rookie

This win means nothing. A crappy team beat another team.

If it means anything, it's that if we beat SF in two weeks we will drop to the 4th or 5th pick of the draft.

And that is just soooooooooo freaking great. I can't freaking wait.
bpergrem3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005   #6
Goldeagle
Hall of Fame

I hope we win out and show some heart. I was not mad today watching our team play. I actually ENJOYED 3 hours of my life with this team
Old 12-18-2005   #7
bpergrem3
Rookie

I didn't get it on TV today. Fox showed the New Orleans - Carolina game
bpergrem3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-18-2005   #8
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldeagle
Yes, Warner is a great QB, and if we had an O-line we would not have to do a 1 step drop pass all the time. Its embarassing to see what we have to call for our offense due to these guys.

I really hope to kick the you know what out of Jax since they are our Rival. Be nice to rain on their parade.
Carr had plenty of time today. The Cardinals were the ones that didnt. And Carr was calling most of the plays, atleast in the first half, according to the SR610 crew.

Either way, Carr screwed up a few times:
1) Before our first TD, Carr had plently of time, got happy feet and instead of stepping up and getting a few more seconds, he scrambled forward for a yard or two.
2) At our 8, 2nd down, 20 seconds left in the half, Carr spikes the ball to get to the 3rd down and then calls a timeout so he wasted a down. We have to settle for a FG.
3) The INT. The LB baited him like Carr was a rookie.
4) After we had gotten a turnover, Carr scrambles to buy time and then instead of throwing it away, tries to pick up 2 yards and fumbles the ball.

If Warner plays the entire game, we lose.

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005   #9
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 39244 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
2) At our 8, 2nd down, 20 seconds left in the half, Carr spikes the ball to get to the 3rd down and then calls a timeout so he wasted a down. We have to settle for a FG.
This is the one that blew my mind. In a frantic state he hurries the team when we have 40 seconds left in the game and gets them to the line and spikes the ball. In the infinite wisdom that either Pendry or Carr have they call a hitch to Bradford for -1 yards. They are, how do you say, not as smart as they look. Carr has as much feel for the game as someone who spends their whole day rooting for their favorite team to lose.

2-7-ARI19 (:45) D.Carr pass to C.Bradford to ARZ 8 for 11 yards (D.Macklin). (1 yard after catch.)
1-8-ARI8 (:28) D.Carr pass incomplete.
2-8-ARI8 (:28) D.Carr pass to C.Bradford to ARZ 9 for -1 yards (A.Rolle, L.Reid).
Old 12-18-2005   #10
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

In the first half we were certainly capable of capitalizing on a team that gave us good field position on every kick-off. I haven't read the game thread yet where I'm sure this has been brought up, but those kick-offs away from Mathis were giving us the ball between the 40s every time. On top of thier obvious fear of Mathis, I was wondering why they kicked it to Wells instead of Norris. Apparently our players were talking about the same thing on the sidelines. That was pretty poor game planning by the Cards.

Last edited by Runner; 12-18-2005 at 07:09 PM.
Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005   #11
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 301240 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

It's good to feel a win today. Regardless of how meaningless it is in this dismal 2-12 season, it's still nice to go to a game and cheer our team to victory.

Even though it was the lowly Cardinals, I still think we've got some talent on the team. We just need a new front office to come in and put the peices together (with some new peices, of course), and turn things around.

It'll happen. Just takes time.
Old 12-18-2005   #12
Goldeagle
Hall of Fame

I also saw 3 dropped passes and why does our team call roll outs to Carrs opposite throwing arm?
Old 12-18-2005   #13
stevo3883
All Pro

Quote:
I also saw 3 dropped passes and why does our team call roll outs to Carrs opposite throwing arm?

Dom thinks it looks cooler when he throws across his body
Old 12-18-2005   #14
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If we kept the gameplan to what Carr does best we would only throw hitch passes....oh wait, our long pass was 11 yards. nevermind.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005   #15
wiley2002
Veteran

I got stuck watching either the Colts' tromping or the onslaught the Panthers gave the Saints. What happened to showing Houston in the Corpus Christi area? You bet they make sure to show Dallas games though. Everyone seems to be a Cowgirl fan down here.

wiley2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005   #16
Bullpen Drew
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiley2002
I got stuck watching either the Colts' tromping or the onslaught the Panthers gave the Saints. What happened to showing Houston in the Corpus Christi area? You bet they make sure to show Dallas games though. Everyone seems to be a Cowgirl fan down here.

At least the Cowgirls lost! Don't worry, we will be on every Sunday next year after we draft Bush!

BTW, Try the Bullpen Drew BBQ joint! Our motto...

"Nobody beats my meat!"
Bullpen Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005   #17
bigcarlos
Veteran

Games havent been shown here in SA and Austin as of late
bigcarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005   #18
Buffi2
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 630 Buffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respected

I felt pretty good about today's game - even though we were playing a totally inept team and went through three QB's. The team was obviously trying their darndest to play as well as they could - possibly to impress Reeves.

Carr (sigh) and I've been a Carr supporter for the most part, had something like a 4 yard average per pass. Now, that isn't going to cut it over the long haul and I'm really hopeful that since we are probably going to keep him that someone can manage to un-teach him that one step, sharpen the o-line, and make him a long passer once again. Our running game was pretty good - given who we were playing - but we still don't have a playmaker in that dept. DD doesn't appear to be able to stay healthy for even half a season and that isn't going to cut it either.

The fans were good. Not much booing, no sacks, no Reg-gie chants. Our team may not be the greatest - but we have the greatest fans!

I just tuned in so I don't know if this has been asked and answered already. Why does Capers and Co change things in the second half when the first half is working? Working better than usual, anyway. Haven't they heard if it ain't broke don't fix it? The offense that came out in the second half bore no resemblance to the offense that went to the dressing room at the end of the first half. Most perplexing.
Buffi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005   #19
Goldeagle
Hall of Fame

Guys, our O line is that bad, that is why we only do 1 step drops and passes, WE CANT DO ANYTHING ELSE!
Old 12-18-2005   #20
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Guys, our O line is that bad, that is why we only do 1 step drops and passes, WE CANT DO ANYTHING ELSE!
Carr makes this line look much much worse than it really is. For me it's really frustrating to watch such bad QB play game after game after game. If Carr had some dynamic plays mixed in with all the short hitch passes I'd be a bit happier...but he can't read defenses and the team doesn't let him throw to the middle of the field because they don't trust him.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read