Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-18-2005   #1
stevo3883
All Pro

Default New question about team

So with the performance of Wells and Morency today, it opens up some new questions about our team.

Are all of our backs so good that they can succeed with any line, or is it that our line is a lot better at run blocking than given credit for.

I didnt see much of the "getting hit 3 yards behind the line" which lots of people say happens, but i did see some long runs broken off, and some broken tackles and getting extra yards.
Old 12-18-2005   #2
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 122497 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo3883
So with the performance of Wells and Morency today, it opens up some new questions about our team.

Are all of our backs so good that they can succeed with any line, or is it that our line is a lot better at run blocking than given credit for.

I didnt see much of the "getting hit 3 yards behind the line" which lots of people say happens, but i did see some long runs broken off, and some broken tackles and getting extra yards.
In my opinion, its Run blocking. Seems who ever we put back there had a game for us. Given that we are using Denvers blocking scheme, we seem to be also having their success at plugging in RB's and they being successful.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005   #3
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Maybe, just maybe, our offensive line is decent if not good at run blocking. I'm not saying that we have Denver's run blocking, but on running plays our line is much better than on passing plays.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005   #4
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

The Texans have been a good running team for a while. I think they were something like 12th or 13th in the league in rushing entering the game. What they did today is really no surprise.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005   #5
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249374 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Our line run blocks rather well. Not great but certainly good enough to get the job done. Domanick Davis gets good yardage behind our line and you routinely read in here that if we had a better line then he'd be a premier back and get more yards. When he's out (which we see often enough) Wells is able to replicate very Domanick Davis like numbers and it appears that Morency will probably be able to do the same thing.

So do we have three potential franchise backs here? No, of course not. We have three pretty good backs. Not great, not "franchise", just pretty good. Our line is not that bad. The talent level on our line is not that bad. We have a lousy offensive line coach who was brought in because he was Dom's pal and who was handed a unit that had gone from 76 sacks to 36 sacks. They were improving. Since Joe Pendry arrived our offensive line has regressed considerably even as the talent level has improved.

I can't wait to see what the next offensive line coach can do with these guys. I'm not under the illusion that they are all going to the Pro Bowl but I bet we've got a pretty good line here.
Old 12-18-2005   #6
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

It opens the question: Why did it take till week 15 for Morency to get some carries???

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005   #7
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

This proves that Bush is not needed.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-18-2005   #8
ccdude730
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 129 ccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ccdude730

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
It opens the question: Why did it take till week 15 for Morency to get some carries???
i hear they had to order him some non-slip shoes with special cleats
Old 12-18-2005   #9
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96562 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

This is what i've been saying the past two years. People say if only DD didn't have to run behind a sorry line he would be a elite back. DD doesn't run behind a sorry line. Our line was built to run the ball and they're pretty good at it, they just can't pass block to save their life, but they are getting better at it.

- Edmund Burke
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005   #10
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 103631 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

we were playing against the cardinals and combined they barely squeeked out more than 100 yards. lets try a little perspective.
Old 12-18-2005   #11
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 122497 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65
Can we have one thread where he, whose name is not to be spoken, is brought up? Give it a rest man. If it isnt the for its the against. :brickwall
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005   #12
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Especially since you could have saved the starting RB by not forcing 30 touches when he has a documented bad knee. Would not have killed the Texans to figure out 8-12 touches for somebody not name DomDavis.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005   #13
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

We found one of the few teams in the league that could possibly be more inept than us today. I had forgotten that John Navarre was in the league. Settle down with the "this proves" anything stuff.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005   #14
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96562 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
coaching. Good coaches are flexible and will change their game plans and schemes to their players. Bad coaches (capers) wont budge and stick with the same old stagnet game plan week in and week out. Parcells isn't having much success with J. Jones, so he sticks his rookie in there and now splits carries. Good coaches protect their players and put them in the best position to win. Our running depth is a strength on our team and we should be splitting carries to take a load off DD and protect him from being injured.

- Edmund Burke
Old 12-18-2005   #15
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249374 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65
See I draw a completely different conclusion from this. I think that the results of this game imply that our offensive line run blocks rather well, that either Domanick Davis, Jonathan Wells, or Vernand Morency can get pretty good yardage behind them, and that this means that all three are just about interchangeable. Sure Wells runs different from Davis but at the end of the day you have pretty much the same result. Wonder if plugging Bush in behind that line would change anything or do you think he's probably going to get the same kind of yards that Jonathan Wells, Domanick Davis, and Vernand Morency get?

Guess it's all hype.
Old 12-18-2005   #16
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
We found one of the few teams in the league that could possibly be more inept than us today. I had forgotten that John Navarre was in the league. Settle down with the "this proves" anything stuff.
If Warner doesnt get injured, we get carved up. The Cards had great field position all day long but couldnt do anything with it cause Warner was out.

Kurt Warner had 35 less passing yards than Carr...on 23 less attempts.

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005   #17
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

talking about our run blocking has nothing to do with the cardinals. We've been running the ball great as of late and been doing it the past couple of years

- Edmund Burke
Old 12-18-2005   #18
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.

All this proves is that we can barely beat Cleveland and we can beat Arizona if they don't have Kurt Warner. We are better than our record, but we aren't as good we looked today.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005   #19
Goldeagle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Goldeagle is a Pro BowlerGoldeagle is a Pro Bowler
Send a message via Yahoo to Goldeagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo3883

Yeah our O line are decent and run blocking. All they have to do is run forward and hit someone while pass blocking requires a thought and skill.

Also, this should show with DD and Wells, do we really need Bush?
Goldeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005   #20
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

first of all this was the arizona cardnals we played...not the chicago bears or indy colts...so don't give the line that much credit...our line does do a decent job of run blocking when stroud and henderson are not on the other side...but once again it's the sacks that this line gives up that is so horrible...carr was sacked something like 3 or 4 times this game...one of them is one him but still that's three that's on the o-line...we need better lineman...we need recievers that get open faster...we need a tight end that can be the security blanket for carr...and we need a starting back that can stay healthy year round...does that mean we need number 5 from usc no...but it would be nice...like i said before...if we get davin joseph, one of the top flight TE's, and maybe another guard or tackle i'll be happy...but we need to do something that helps this team pass the football more efficently so we're not a one dimensional team

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read